Send Topic Print
Galloway slingstones. (Read 961 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Galloway slingstones.
Sep 14th, 2017 at 6:43am

In Galloway, there's a fort called Trustys  Hill being excavated. In 2012, 89 stones identified as sling ammo were found. They are made mostly of quartzite and sandstone.
  There were 2 caches found, along with undisturbed ones on the rampart. Most were found close to the interior side of the rampart on the East side. It is the opinion of the archeologists that they were used for the defense of the nearby entrance. They date to the Early Medieval period.

TrustySlingshot.jpg (92 KB | 54 )
TrustySlingshot.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Galloway slingstones.
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 8:01am

I wonder if sandstone was considered a good choice or chosen because it could be shaped easier. Did the archeologists give any indication of artifical shaping or average weight of these stones?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 4:01pm

Largest one weighed 200 grams. They may have used whatever was handy.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 12:09am

i find all of this very interesting and love to see when yall find stuff cause im not good at researching haha thank you all for bringing this stuff to this page

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris)