Preferences! (Read 4303 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Preferences!
Reply #15 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 8:36am

The Sling: cap paul style paracord and leather - also paracord and 3d printed rubber

The Ammo: stones, tennis balls, sock balls shaped clay, pinecones - hell anything that will stay in the pouch Smiley

The Style : different styles for different purposes

The Task : distance, target, Balearic competition, dog walking,  < that lot

The Area: favourite would be apebble beach. As i live as far from a beach as it's possible to get in the uk - generally the surrounding fields and woods.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #16 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:21am

Apex-apoc wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 8:31am:
So you ment "flat but not absolutely flat" (not even)?

Here's a photo because my explaining was bad Cheesy It is flat (though it already has some big dents thanks to the last time I took it out) but I think getting a piece of wood of a good size back home and then sticking it on would be a lot of work. I'm probably going to try with cardboard first as I already have a load of that hanging around for free.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:46am

https://www.amazon.com/Do-All-Outdoors-Self-Healing-Target-Caliber/dp/B0037NA994

Ive used these for years. For the money its hard to find a better, more portable target. Keep the metal stand on and put it in the ground if you plan on hunting, get a hacksaw and cut it off( or possibly bend it straight and pull it through) , string a rope through the top and hang it from a low hanging branch if youre more into eye level targets. Works great.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:47am

Kicktheotter, glue a piece  of old carpet in the pan.  That will mute the clang.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:55am

This is my somewhat improvised solution! I had no carpet or wood or anything as high-tec as that so I went with old cardboard boxes and junk mail Cheesy

Is it pretty? No.
Is it a long-term solution? No.
Does it work for now? Yes and surprisingly well from the small tests I've done (holding a rock in a sling pouch and bashing it against it without releasing the stone).

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:23pm

Sometimes all that matters is "does it work?" Especially if youre slinging heavy projectiles at it, usually "pretty" doesnt last long either way.

Im the same way. Usually I would rather repurpose than go out and buy something new. I only went out and bought a target after I had literally destroyed every last piece of scrap wood in my backyard.

If you ever want to some free carpet, like enough for a large backstop, and you are brave enough to do it, go to your local carpet store and ask to rummage through their old carpet dumpster. Usually they are all too happy to have people take their trash from them.

So, now that you have the new silent(er) target, any plans on putting out a target slinging video using it?  Wink

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #21 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:32pm

Well I only have my phone and I'll need a willing cameraman (well it'll probably be camerawomen...) but I'll try my best Cheesy

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #22 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 1:05pm

Finger to elbow for target shooting
finger to shoulder for longer shooting
finger to opposite shoulder for very long shooting.

Style: helo with 3 rotations.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:41pm

Walter; I should have written that using half of one's height is a popular method of judging one's ideal sling length. There are certainly other methods and preferences.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #24 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 7:52pm

Rat Man wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 2:08pm:
 Most peoples' ideal sling length is half of their height, folded length of course.  Some people like to go fingertip to fingertip but most times this works out to be exactly their height anyway.

Do you have already published the underlying survey or study for this assessment? How many people(s) have you interviewed ...  Huh ... and what means "ideal length"?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 8:04pm

ah. I am six feet tall. Shirt sleeves are 33". Long bow draw length is 29". Most accurate (therefore favorite) sling length is 27". My next sling will be 26".

Like f8 and Balearic. Under hand for playing catch with my lw Cheesy

My happy place is anywhere in the national forest  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 11:30pm

I found over the years the more I practiced target slinging the more my slings gradually crept down shorter and shorter.  Slinging in forests/chaparrals were probably a factor as well. At 24-26 inches you still get good power but have something that can reasonably function in most terrain.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris)