Send Topic Print
Irma (Read 1408 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Irma
Sep 10th, 2017 at 8:23am

Right now the Keys are about to be annihilated. My younger sister's ex decided to sit it out in Key Largo.  Not the brightest idea, IMO.  A friend of mine from high school has decided to wait it out in Clearwater. He's always been just a little flighty. I'm not sure he'll take proper precautions. Besides that everyone I know who is directly in harms way has thankfully bugged out.  I probably would have left at least four or five days ago to avoid the rush.
    They are estimating that 2.5 million households will loose power in Florida alone.  It's a safe bet that many thousands of homes will be totaled.  Send prayers, good vibes, or what ever good Karma you have to Florida.  They need it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Irma
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 11:16am

Prayers from Texas. That is one big storm. The entire state is going to take part in it. Having lived in Dallas for years Ive done the whole tornado thing. Its pretty scary. Cant imagine tornado force winds the size of that hurricane.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:44pm

I'm catching the edges of it now, it's supposed to get worse tomorrow.  But no where near as bad as Florida.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:45pm

we know people who flew out to miami for a holiday last week.
Simply to save their deposit.

I suspect they're regretting it now.
Talk about stupid.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 8:12pm

Stupid should hurt.

If stupid hurt every time, people would start thinking and planning more carefully.

Or they would build up an impressive pain tolerance.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 6:39am

Bill, you made my day.  Grin
I hope you are all well.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 6:07pm

The effects where I am are sort of weird.  We had a northern front near us, Irma sucked it down and gave us the coolest weather since 1944, there were several new records set.  Temps were down in the very low 60's during the day and low 50's at night.  We only got about 1/2 inch of rain. (12mm)

The cooler front pretty much nullified the hurricane about the Georgia/Alabama line.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:28pm

Glad to hear it didn't get you guys Bill. Sounds like Florida got the clouds and you guys got the silver lining.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:34pm

Here in Jersey we got next to nothing from Irma.  Just a few very light sprinkles. 
   They say that whenever Jose gets done meandering around he might pay us a visit.  There are still too many conflicting models to say with any degree of certainty what Jose will do. 
    There's a new wave off of Africa that's rotating but it's not very well defined. We'll see.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)