Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
How to work out ACCURACY & RANGE at the same time (Read 9439 times)
Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
How to work out ACCURACY & RANGE at the same time
Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:21am

johan wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:14am:
are you talking about specific training  year in year out and having a peak one time per year like olympic throwers? or you can perform consistently( with small deviations) throughout the year without risking major injuries in your arm?personal records: 200m 90cm sling(old), http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1474293154/new, measured with camera frames  57m/s 72cm sling 50g stones .a spotter would be very helpful...in 2017 (till today) performed 9261 throws, of course most of them are accuracy and form training, if it was for speed i'm afraid i would have serious shoulder problems.

I'm talking about four or five hours of practice per week - spreaded over two days each week (so pretty "consistently") from spring until autumn, but only three hours per week in winter (because in Germany from November until February the weather becomes pretty cold & wet). In this time (five hours, respectively two day per week) I throw about 450 stones - all (!) for minimum 100 - 200 m and some of it (5% or 25 piece) for 300 - 350 m too. 

To give it a "peak" (like olympic throwers do) isn't necessary, because I'm not intented to "go for gold" or winning some similar competitions. What Larry Bray, Yurek and / or David Engvall have done (throwing for guinnes book) isn't to compare with "Olympia" or "olympic operating level". Want to say: Throwing a stone of 100 g for 400 m isn't such a "extremly rare operation" as you are thinking (perhaps). 

For me this throwing-level (stones of 100 - 150 g up to 400 m) was coming very gradually alone by continuing a very regulary practice for more than 20 years (1987 - 2012). "Strength & skills come from practice alone!" The range-mark of 300 m I allready cracked in the first 7 or 8 years, and this also was coming like from alone or "itself" - only by continuing the same practice: Throwing stones for targets in a distance of about 200 - 250 m, without "overexerting" me.

Most of the 450 throws (per week) I do with (felt) "80% power" only to save (but also to train) my ellbow (and shoulder). Nothing is so usefull or efficient as practice, regularity and practice once more.

But I know that too very well: Several times (5 times?) I had to interrupt this practice for more than 6 month due to permanent pains in my ellbow that don't becomes better over a lot of weeks. But this doesn't matter - when passed this 6 month the practice goes on exactly like before, because the ellbow than also had become more "resistant" than before too.

Basically this inflammation on the ellbows inner side is nothing else than these typical "(bloody) wounds" at the ring-finger (from the loop): After healing the same finger is much more resistant than before (and becomes resistant more and more).

You said to have thrown more than 9000 stones in 2017 (untill today) only. I find this already a very good "workload". When this was done within 6 month only (march - august) than it would be right enough, because more than 350 throws per week.

But if I were you I would not be afraid of becoming hurts / pains in the shoulder from throwing more far or too strong ... or to be afraid for loosing skills in accuracy, because to hit a tree (or "post" / "stake") in a distance of 150 or 200 m also needs (and trains) your accuracy. To train higher range and accuracy isn't a contradiction - but on the contrary: At least it is the same!

Throwing for accuracy & range at the same time goes easy with help of two marked "cross-claims" (25 x 50 m) in a distance of "xy" (150 - 400 m) to each other. The first 25 throws should be done from claim A to claim B, and then back from claim B to claim A (... and then back again and back again). So you need 25 stones only for absolvating up to 250 throws within shortest time. While collecting up the stones again there always are a view minutes (10 - 15 min.) for resting the arm (ellbow / shoulder). Each five thrown stones I make a little rest (3 -5 min.) too. The whole procedure than totally needs a little more than two (and a half) hours, but throwing so far (such a lot of stones) I do only three or four times per year.

A much greater number of stones I mostly throw for 150, 200 or 250 m only.

Proportions & scattering angels for throwing on "cross-claims" are drawn here:
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:29pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Re: How to work out ACCURACY & RANGE at the same time
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:29am

For better comparison (of several "scattering angels" & distances) I also draw the proportions for throwing at the "Diane" (but myself I never throw for something similar):

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:08am

150gms for 400 metres ?

what length sling did you use?
Stone shape etc

Not saying it's not possible - but it's right out on the edge of the possible slinging envelope.

And are you coming to mallorca next year ?
Not saying this maliciously - but for another german to beat jaegoor, would be brilliant whistle

Sounds like you get the practice in and that's 90% of competition target slinging. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:35am

Apex, are these long shots all done with piroquette?

Also, maybe you mentioned this, I was only able to scan your post quickly, but do you practice at the standard Balearic target/distance? If so what kind of hit percentage are you achieving at 20 and 30 meters?

Edit: 

"For better comparison (of several "scattering angels" & distances) I also draw the proportions for throwing at the "Diane" (but myself I never throw for something similar)"

Hmm. Did not see this. Thats a shame. I would love to see you apply your mind to shorter range target slinging.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:58pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:08am:
150gms for 400 metres ? what length sling did you use?Stone shape etc

Yes, 150 g too (402 and 409 meters), but mostly a little less than 390 m.

Shape: When throwing smooth balls of "concrete" (46 mm, 150 gms* - germ.: "Beton-kugeln") then I reach the 400-m-mark pretty sure, but as good as never when throwing natural stones of the same weight. Much better results I get when throwing only 115 - 130 g (my "443-m-shot" was done with 122 g natural stone - its shape is very similar to a ball - only a little "eggish". This one has a volume of 44,8 cm³ only. So its density has to be 2,73 g/cm³ what is pretty high for a natural stone).

Concret balls which are made by myself always have density of 2,95 g/cm³ (done with help of stainless steel shavings and barium-sulfat = barite).

Best ranges I achieve with sling-length between 126 and 134 cm. And of course: I never threw against the wind! Smiley

Mallorca? Perhaps, some day - if I would be allowed to stand 50 m in front of the "start-line" or to use my bare hand??! When throwing for targets under 80 meters (with a sling) I hit as much as nothing! But when allowed to throw for 120 - 150 m, than I need maxium 10 throws for kicking a (germ.) "football" (soccer) from its post. For good shots I always need a pretty high trajectory-parabola and a lot of "pull" on my sling.

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2017 at 4:47am by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:24pm

If you know how far you can throw, throwing into an area 25x50m seems easier than hitting a Balearic target. I cannot throw 300+ however so that opens it up a lot.
Distance accuracy is pot luck when you keep the 50cm Diane as the target.
On my Balearic target shots from over 50m seem like pure luck more than aim.
I feel the same when shooting my bow long distances. At a point I no longer have infuence on the projectile and my "calculations " prior and during the shot are based on experience ,instinct and vision.
Although I am aiming at a beer can 100m away until I can actively hit the can more than 50% of the time is my aiming actually aiming ???
I always wonder this.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:23am

Nice topic .
It's too bad that i don't have the space(only 30m)

So your practice is :
2days/week, 4-5h/week , 450 throws at 100-250m, most 80% power( a small percentage at full power),100-150g stones

Apex-apoc wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:21am:
Throwing for accuracy & range at the same time goes easy with help of two marked "cross-claims" (25 x 50 m) in a distance of "xy" (150 - 400 m) to each other. The first 25 throws should be done from claim A to claim B, and then back from claim B to claim A (... and then back again and back again). So you need 25 stones only for absolvating up to 250 throws within shortest time. While collecting up the stones again there always are a view minutes (10 - 15 min.) for resting the arm (ellbow / shoulder). Each five thrown stones I make a little rest (3 -5 min.) too. The whole procedure than totally needs a little more than two (and a half) hours, but throwing so far (such a lot of stones) I do only three or four times per year.

I don't completely understand this part^^

correct me if wrong, what I understood is that you :

do 25 throws(3-5minutes break every 5 throws) from A to B,
10 minutes walk from A to B,
25 throws(3-5minutes break between throws) from B to A,
10 minutes walk from  B to A,
then repeat until you reach 200-250 throws

that would take you 10x(25 throws with breaks + walking)=10x(15minutes+10minutes)=250 minutes = 4 hours
so maybe you do smaller breaks

then you say that you throw this far only 4 times per year which confuses me more...

is this your standard practice or not? (At 200m)
Do you train in other ways too? (working out/exercising/running, other sports such as tennis/baseball etc)

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 9:53am

johan wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:23am:
10 minutes walk from A to B,

Yes, sorry - the time for walk from claim A to claim B (and back - ten times) i have forgotten to calculate. But walking for 300 or 350 meters takes neither 10 minutes nor 5 minutes but maximum 2 - 3 minutes only. I said instead of this to collect up the stones (in claim A or claim B) would take you 10 - 15 minutes and that this would be the needed rest for your arm.

The walk takes not so much time, but to collect up the stones again needs more than 10 minutes. So let's say the walk plus collecting 25 of already thrown stones = 20 minutes. This ten times = 200 minutes. To throw 25 stones also needs 20 minutes (when have a break each five stones). This ten times takes 200 minutes too.

200 min + 200 min. = 400 min. = 6,6 hours.

But to throw such a lot of stones SO FAR & SO STRONG (!) is not the workload for one day but for a week (= 2 days), and this (half workload) I do only three or four times per year" (4 x half workload = two weeks or four days). The most of all other days / stones I throw only for 150 - 250 meter what not needs so much time for collecting the stones again, because then they are not spreaded so wide (while throwing for 200 m only a claim of 15 x 30 m is enough to me).

To throw ten times 25 stones for only 200 m (from claim A to claim B and back ...) takes me maximum 3 hours. That is what I ment when saying "a little more than two (and a half) hours".

Throwing (200 - 250 stones) for 350 m I do only three or four times per year. But anyway - the point is: To throw from a claim to another claim (and then back again) is saving a lot of time, because you throw that stones only that was found already. No need to seek always new stones again - to pick up the stones is not the same work as to seek always some new.

"Wasted" time for collecting / pick up stones depends on the range of course! After throwing only 5 balls of tungsten for 700 meters I was seeking totally 15 hours (!) in 4 days and had one ball to give up (means: "lost") nevertheless. But when seeking 25 stones that was thrown for 150 m only, than I find again all in less than 8 minutes (lost not only one).

But "yes": To throw 200 - 250 stones for 200 (or 250) meters is my "standard practice" what I do two times per week. Right that needs 2,5 - 3 hours (means nearly 2,5 + 3 hours per week = 5,5 hours per week = 400 - 450 throws per week). Only three or four times per year I also throw for 300, 350 or 400 meters (such a lot of stones!).

Of course some "extreme long distance throws" (300 - 400 m) I also do in between and more often, but NOT in such a high number (means NOT for 250 throws at once).

Other sports: Running (100 - 400 m), floor gymnastics & swimming (short distance, buttefly) but today no more such intensive as in my younger life. I dont like societies and I don't like competitions, but I like to keep on moving an to be in  nature (far away form the cities and civilizations "trouble").

Choose your "long distance range" from that range that allows you to find all 25 thrown stones within 15 minutes (walking time to the other claim NOT counted). When the collection (pick up) needs much more time (because the stones are spreaded too wide), then to throw for so far makes no sense.

The "long distance" has to be customized or fitted to your scattering angle. Therefore it is better to achieve longer ranges in a lot of smaller steps only. Only together with your (decreasing) scattering angel may be increase your range.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:13am

Mr Aardvark: the claims by Mr Apoc have been aired a month or so ago, subjected to the usual critical scrutiny, and Mr Apoc and Jaegoor have argued about technique, in German, to the point of a flame war. Have you not noticed ? Do you not, sir, actually moderate this forum ?

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 11:07am

@Apex apoc   thanks for the answer.

i don't think i'll find a place any time soon to do long distance practice regularly. Sad
but it is something i do on vacations...

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 11:10am

Mersa wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:24pm:
Although I am aiming at a beer can 100m away until I can actively hit the can more than 50% of the time is my aiming actually aiming ??? I always wonder this.

Yes, I know what you mean. Therefore I too have some scrupel to name small targets as "aims". I prefer to mention and to talk about the "scattering angel" (and scattering field / scattering range).

So my own aim or target is much more to decrease this scattering angel: When I was able to decrease it once more, then I "shot my goal" again. The post / stake in the middel of my claim undoubtedly is important, but not to hit it is important but to come close and closer - and this of course measured in all three dimensions (heigth, widht and DEPTH !).

Its similar to the "goals" in basketball: To hit the rectangle above the basket is not as difficult as to hit the basket, because for hitting the basket you have to "hit" the correct distance ("depth") too.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 11:57am

Thearos wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:13am:
Mr Aardvark: the claims by Mr Apoc have been aired a month or so ago,

Uups - now I remember the english word "claim". In German(y) this word counts to the so called "anglicisms" and is used here for naming small fields. Its history is an amercan and has to do with that kind of "claims" that was bought from "gold washers" (in any american mountains or prairie countrys).

Therefore I am talking about "claims" - but I mean small fields / areas, of course.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:05pm

My opinion is that slinging should be fun. No theory, no sport performance, no pain, no great throw count. Only for relaxation. Cheesy
But this is only my opinion.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:20pm

timpa wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:05pm:
My opinion is that slinging should be fun. No theory, no sport performance, no pain, no great throw count. Only for relaxation. Cheesy
But this is only my opinion.

Hard to argue with that.  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 5:39pm

timpa, it is not only your opinion Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)