Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Treating hemp sling (Read 1294 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Treating hemp sling
Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:01am

My"Barbarian"sling, which I posted a little while ago, is made of hemp and quite hairy and I was wondering if there was anything I can do to help flatten out all the loose hairs and hold them together. I have a cake of beeswax and I was thinking I could rub that in. Is this a good idea? Is there a better solution? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:58am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Treating hemp sling
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:29am

Burn them off or stick them down. I've used beeswax on one of my slings. Works

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:09am

I'm a little worried about over burning so I think I'll goo with beeswax Smiley Thanks.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:26am

Are you going to rub it in or melt and paint?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:53am

You can only burn the loose fibers. It's very hard to burn the braided cord. Unless you put a torch to it, and keep it there for several seconds. Just use a lighter. You can put the beeswax while it's softened by heat ~40-50 degrees C. Or you can mix beeswax with linseed oil to get a cream like consistency. Something like 60% wax to 40% oil.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:19am

Definitely not a bad idea to do both. As was mentioned burning will not hurt a sling. Its standard procedure on primitive bowstrings as well which are under far more tension. Using the mix of oil and beeswax Jlasud mentioned will give a better look than just beeswax alone.

You can play around with the ratio, starting low and adding a little more oil until you have a consistency that suits your needs.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:58am

Well I went with both Cheesy I rubbed it in by running the sling across the bar of beeswax then lit a candle and burned off some of the hairs that hadn't been stuck down. The heat also helped melt the wax in a bit (which was actually what I was aiming to do with the candle; I didn't realise the small hairs burnt off that easily). It's looking much smoother now but I might still run it a few times more over the candle. I went and tested how it felt now in use and I do think the wax needs some more heat to get it properly integrated. I would use a hairdryer on high heat but don't have one :/ I'm thinking of making some more jute/hemp slings so I'll have to try the linseed oil and melted wax combination. Does it have to be pure linseed oil or is the boiled version ok?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:31pm

https://www.google.de/search?q=sport+wax&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved...

Ich habe damit sehr gute Erfahrungen gemacht. Die Schleuder damit einreiben. Immer mal wiederholen.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:39pm

https://www.google.de/search?q=bow+string+wax&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd...

Dieses ist gut für denn Brief.  Nach jedem Training benutze ich es für Balearic Slings. Es macht Leder als Schutz überflüssig.  Es gibt guten grip und spine.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 2:42pm

Thanks Jaegoor! They look good too. Far more choice than I originally realised Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)