Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cord diameter vs Grip (Read 990 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Cord diameter vs Grip
Sep 2nd, 2017 at 1:48pm

For those of you who have experimented with different combinations of cord diameter and width of grip do you find any correlation between how thick/thin the cord is to the likelihood of twisting of cords during the throw?

I switched years ago from thick peruvian slings to thinner paracord and at around that same time I found that I had to switch to a wider grip to get better releases. At the time I was doing alot of experimenting with different aspects of the figure 8 and considered my different style a reason for the increase in twisting causing poor releases. Now I wonder if the paracord itself might also be better off with wider grip.

What do you think?

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Re: Cord diameter vs Grip
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 6:02pm

In short yeah you're correct, the thicker the cord the less likely it is to twist and tangle. In long it's the same with the width of grip, the farther apart the release cord and the retention cord are the smoother and more consistent the release, at least that's what i've seen. It's part of the reason Balearic slings are so great, the sisal is stiff enough with the braid that it doesn't twist or tangle.

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 6:47pm

Dyneema is good down to 1.5mm from experience although the 3mm is my favourite.
Other fibers I've used are more twisty

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 6:17am

never had any issues.
use 1.5 mm for distance slings, 3mm is my preferred diameter for gp slings.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:39am

Most of my slings have thick braided cords. A few are pcord. I've never had any trouble with twisting cords. What could cause them to twist ?

I am going to try a wider grip on my seat belt sling. Today Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:55am

For example, if you had the retention loop on your index finger would that be more possible for twisting than with a larger cord with the same grip.

I think maybe but then Ive used paracord for awhile and do ok.

The impetus for the question is the sling I was working on had quite thick cords due to the core size and number strands I was using. It occurred to me some slingers like thicker cords and maybe that was the reasoning behind it.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 11:19am

I braid mine with 3mm curtain cord.  But I braid the retention cord long enough that it goes around the edge of my palm so my palm takes the weight of heavy stones.  That means the retention cord is right beside the release cord. 

Many moons ago, Mas gave me a paracord sling with a button knot that wrapped around your palm and the retention and release were right by each other. 

I throw both exactly the same way and haven't noticed a problem with tangling. 

Now that I think about it, my braided sling is actually the worse of the two for tangling or twisting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark)