Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Hunting glandes (wanted) (Read 14078 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Hunting glandes (wanted)
Reply #90 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 2:13pm

Sarosh wrote on Aug 28th, 2020 at 12:55pm:
https://youtu.be/hWM2k_SlPxA
the above in video

Damn they look vicious. I love it. I might have to see if I can find some rebar somewhere.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #91 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 11:50pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 28th, 2020 at 1:30pm:
Shakli wrote on Aug 28th, 2020 at 1:12am:
Probably the cheapest would be to make cast iron glades.  When I inquired about it I had to have 1000 made as a minimum size order which turned out to be way more then I wanted to pay to test something out.

What was the price per piece? You only need 10 slingers who each want 100 to hit the MOQ.

I like the sound of that!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #92 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 11:57pm

Good video! @Sarosh
Probably took quite a bit of time to grind them from rebar!

Certainly wouldn't want to be hit by one...

A while back, I was looking at 'metal clays' and thought about making glandes from the stuff, until I saw the price! Shocked

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #93 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 12:50am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 28th, 2020 at 1:30pm:
What was the price per piece? You only need 10 slingers who each want 100 to hit the MOQ.

It came out to 2$ per shot.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #94 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 1:47am

Cheaper than arrows

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #95 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 5:20am

Mersa wrote on Aug 29th, 2020 at 1:47am:
Cheaper than arrows

Yes but don't want to spend 2,000$ on a glade I am not sure I will like.  Also to split it up kind of a problem also.  100 glades would weigh 12kg(26lbs)  that is kind of expensive to ship.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #96 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 6:20am

Mersa wrote on Aug 29th, 2020 at 1:47am:
Cheaper than arrows

if you add profit and other costs to it, probably not many people will bother buying it.

I was thinking of it too, maybe with a bigger audience it will be worth the effort.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #97 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 7:24am

Yeah, at $2 per glande, few people would want 100... but people might spend $3-$5 each for 10 of them. At $4 per glande, you only need to sell a little over half of them to break even.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #98 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 12:49pm

Shipping would be the killer though as Shakli said. Rebar might be the way to go.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #99 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 7:40pm

Perhaps we could take advantage of another industry and find something that we can modify to suit that might bring prices down and availablity up.

I was going thinking something that used standard parts from arrows or something alike. Bearings from a skateboard for weight with an arrow shaft spindle and broadheads screwed either side, but I guess these will be pretty expensive too.

I vote tungsten if we machine glandes, May as well make something harder than steel and denser than lead

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #100 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 9:13pm

You can get 1” carbon steel ball bearings for less than $0.50 each, and I’ll bet you can be fairly effective hunting with those. The biconical shape matters more on a battlefield where you’re throwing over 100yds. Most hunting would be at much shorter distances.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #101 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 9:15pm

Mersa wrote on Aug 29th, 2020 at 7:40pm:
I vote tungsten if we machine glandes, May as well make something harder than steel and denser than lead

That sounds rather difficult to machine unless you’re grinding everything with diamond tools

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #102 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 12:53pm

You don't hunt small game with stuff like that. You use stones. You want to kill them, not drill a hole through them and watch them run away mortally wounded. Hit them with a stone and they'll go into shock if not dead. It's the reason birding arrows are not pointed.

Glandes are for killing people. So save them for the zombie apocalypse.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)