Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Egyptian Sling Making (Read 10120 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Egyptian Sling Making
Reply #30 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 12:17pm

Hubert makes some good looking slings. Hes a very talented slinger as well. That sling reminds me of how I imagine an ancient Egyptian slinger might use with clay sphere ammo. Just walking the delta hunting birds. Very cool.  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #31 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:35am

I think I'm somewhat stretching the original title of this thread but this latest one is Egyptian in that it's woven. Ah, close enough.

This is white and grey cotton. This one has turned out way better than the last one. The pouch is still quite small but a much better size and shape and holds ammo far better. This one is actually useable Cheesy It’s far from perfect but overall I’m pretty pleased with it. Using thicker material was so much easier although the white and grey colouring made it a little hard to tighten the cords as it was all camouflaged together. Now I need to have a look at some good colour combinations and do some more experimenting Cheesy I have to say I was thinking I was going to have a break from weaving after the first attempt but I basically started right away. This is getting addicting...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #32 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 3:37pm

I managed to pick up more thread, this time in a dark green colour. It's 3000m (!) so will probably last me the rest of my life and about as thick as the beige thread I got before but this only cost a single euro! They had literally two baskets full of rolls of this thread. I felt one roll would be more than enough for me and they were all the same colour; if they had been different colours I would have been grabbing armfuls. Because it is the same thickness as the previous thread it's going to be just as challenging I'm sure to weave it into a useable pouch but I have a bit more experience this time and I might use both threads on the same sling. It's not exactly a great colour combination but it will make picking out the individual threads for tightening easier. I'll keep you all updated on any progress.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #33 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 5:14pm

I would practice with some thicker cord til you nail the shape and then go back to the thin stuff for a final product.
Nice work so far

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #34 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 6:09am

Yeah thicker stuff is a lot easier but I have so much of this thin stuff and I've managed to get it so cheap that I'm thinking I might just use the thin stuff and make lots of bad thin material pouches but eventually get better at it than spend more money on thicker material. I like the challenge of the fiddly stuff anyway Cheesy

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #35 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 6:15am

You could also double/triple/quadruple etc. the thread to make a thicker one or twist several lengths together.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #36 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 6:24am

I've thought abut that but it have to be really long lengths and it would probably end up being more work than it's worth. With the first one I made, where I really got the braiding right, I really like the very tight weave you can get with the thin material so that's another reason as well. If it gets too tedious I can always start over with thicker stuff but I would want to have another go at making it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 3:16pm

Yours is one of the best woven pouches Ive seen KTO. That tight weave looks great. Im looking forward to see what you come up with in the future.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #38 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 4:55pm

Well it certainly taught me a lot. It needs to be a lot wider and maybe longer so I'll have to adapt my loom (nice and easy considering it's cardboard and nails) and I need to be careful about over tightening it. I'm also going to try more of a diamond shape rather than the hourglass shape as that lead to it being far too cupped. I'm thinking of using the green thread as the frame and then using the beige as the "filler" (I really should look up the terminology...). Should come out in a pretty cool checkered pattern.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #39 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 12:11pm

Well again this is stretching the original title of this post but I thought I would post my further experiments in sling pouch weaving here.

I tried using wool this time, but, much like my other attempts, it’s ended up a bit of a tangled, misshapen mess. Some of it looks pretty darn good but getting the correct tension and trying to tighten it up evenly is very difficult. I thought maybe using two different coloured wools would make it easier and it did… a bit… not really all that much though. Near the end it just got impossible to find the right length to pull and some got pulled way too tight and I just had to abandon it.

I'm not giving up entirely but obviously my technique needs honing.

Once more to the loom!

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 4:17pm

Kick wrote on Oct 6th, 2017 at 3:37pm:
I managed to pick up more thread, this time in a dark green colour. It's 3000m (!) so will probably last me the rest of my life and about as thick as the beige thread I got before but this only cost a single euro! They had literally two baskets full of rolls of this thread. I felt one roll would be more than enough for me and they were all the same colour; if they had been different colours I would have been grabbing armfuls. Because it is the same thickness as the previous thread it's going to be just as challenging I'm sure to weave it into a useable pouch but I have a bit more experience this time and I might use both threads on the same sling. It's not exactly a great colour combination but it will make picking out the individual threads for tightening easier. I'll keep you all updated on any progress.

dude!!! only a euro?  wow, if shipping wasn't so much i'd beg and reimburse you to buy another and send it this way.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #41 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 4:18pm

ps. the weave in the last picture looks really nice in some spots, so ur on the right path, i think...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #42 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 2:56am

It was a little while ago now as well so I'm not so sure they still have them but that particular second-hand place has a lot of more unusual things from little brooches to crutches to cameras last used some time in the 90's. It's great for picking up weird stuff and I might be going today. You can never predict what they have, always a surprise Cheesy

Thanks! Yeah that's the most frustrating thing is that I can see is that it's really close but it ends up too tight or uneven. Getting closer each time though so I shall persevere!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #43 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:59pm

I have respect for any attempt at making these type of slings
It can be very frustrating
I've tried making some complex designs that took hours upon hours only to end up with slings that don't sling as well as my simple ones, and neither pretty enough to make more to start selling them
So I just stick to my simple slings & let others make the sling artworks  Smiley.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #44 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 2:02pm

It's definitely a long process but I think if you can get the technique right, it will be worth it Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy)