Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Egyptian Sling Making (Read 10075 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Egyptian Sling Making
Aug 27th, 2017 at 2:17pm

I've been wanting to make an "Egyptian"/"Tutankhamun"/"King Tut" style sling basically ever since I heard about the ones found in his tomb and I now have all the tutorials I could find bookmarked and ready to go. I still need to make a loom, but I wanted to first ask about the material I should use. I found this massive roll of 1mm thread for 4€ in a secondhand/thrift store and, seeing as I have a lot of it, I thought it could be used for this project but I'm wondering if it's actually too thin. What sort of thickness would people suggest? I'm guessing thin material will mean more work to build it up to be thick enough?

I'm going to be using this thread to show my progress so please expect more questions to pop up Cheesy All help and tips are greatly appreciated.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Egyptian Sling Making
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 4:06pm

No idea on the original question Otter. Wish I could help. That being said what kind of thread is that? If thats linen or hemp thats an absolute steal of a price. Good find.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 4:46pm

Kick wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 2:17pm:
I found this massive roll of 1mm thread for 4€ in a secondhand/thrift store and, seeing as I have a lot of it, I thought it could be used for this project but

WOW - congratulations for such a great deal. Seems to be a marvelous stuff, but "yes" - I would say "too thin" for weaving a nice Tuth-ankh-amun's sling like T. J. Potter has done and "teached us". Do you know his tutorial(s) for this?

He said, woven with thinner yarn (and more nails in the loom) this type of sling becomes finer and stronger, but there he was talking about one of his first tries with yarn that was much thicker (perhaps 2,0 - 2,5 mm ... or more?).

So I think you need yarn between 1,5 - 1,8 mm (minimum). Better is you would keep your special thread for an other type of sling. Otherwise you had to twine it together, but that would made much of extra (not necessary) work.

If yarn has to be "natural" (hemp, cotton or linen), then 0,8 - 1,0 mm is good for sewing thick leather (pouches) too.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 2:29am

I actually have no idea what it is Cheesy I'm fairly certain it's cotton but no way to guarantee. I've got both of Mr Potter's tutorials bookmarked. His are so beautiful I hope I can make something half as nice. Yeah and I really don't want to attempt to combine individual threads to make it thick enough because I'm fairly sure that will take the test of my life. I still definitely want to try different styles of sling with it though. I mean I have to find some use for it Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 6:42am

Kick wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 2:29am:
I'm fairly certain it's cotton but no way to guarantee.

Cotton has a characteristical "smell" while burning and becomes a very crumbly ash (fine like pigments for painting). If it melts mostly, then it is some kind of thermoplastics. Besides silk cotton also has the most thin fiber of all natural fibers, while fibers of hemp or linen are some thicker and more bristly (... especially jute and sisal are very bristly). White (bleached) linen or hemp also is seldom at all.

For braiding slings from (a lot of) very thin yarns there Jaegoor was posting some tutorials. http://blog.ottonenzeit.de/schleuderbau ... for example (... its a very nice handcraftet piece too).

But for braiding all yarns indivdual (for a coat braid or something similar) you would need a "Mobidai" (germ.: Flechthocker / eng.: braiding stool). This also would have the advantage to be able to braid it (the release cord) "rejuvenating" like a bullwhip: Because your yarns are very thin you can start the braiding with up to 24 (even 28 or 30) strands and to reduce its number step for step down to 10, 9 or 8 strands only.

The relative thicker braiding close to the pouch (and the thinner, lighter wightet end of release cords other end) causes a much better (faster and more "regulary") release. Nevertheless you were able to terminate its sonic boom (if this were not wanted) with help of a more heavy knot or "marble" ("button").

"Knots" of my own slings I allways make from PVC, PA, POM or leather, because small balls of it are nearly light as wood, but much more resistant against hard hits from released stones. 10 or 15 hard hits from a stone ... and a wooden release-knot were gone (broken / damaged). But especially knots or marbels from black PA or PVC (type: "hard") looks and feels like marbels mede from horn (respectivley very similar to horn), while black POM looks and feels more like black ebony.

When braiding a coat braid instead of a massive braid you also can fill it with a bundle of strands that was given a "stage cutting" (as hair cutters do to long hairs sometimes). That also makes the cord narrowing.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:07am by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:04am

I did actually try burning a piece and I'm convinced now it is cotton. Thanks for all the info. I've only ever really done simple braids so I'm going to be doing some research over the next few days I think and I'll try and see if I can get a good deal on some hemp of a good thickness.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:47am

Was Thuts sling not made from wool?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 12:56pm

I'm actually not sure now. I'll investigate. I almost had an idea it was some other natural fiber.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 12:59pm

I found a previous post on the forum saying they were plaited linen.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 1:21pm

Ask david he made the one on display in the manchester museum.

But your best bet is via facebook Smiley
https://www.facebook.com/david.colter?hc_ref=ARQfRsmODm5qLGMSqIeeZLpvkDTq7KONkwq...

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 2:47pm

sling in Manchester (from Lahun): ~1 mm (source: own measurements). Material: plant fiber (not further specified, source: museum catalogue online available)

sling in Petrie museum (also from Lahun, but younger): Material: probably linnen (source: E. M. Burgess, journal of hte arms and armor societey, vol II, N. 10, June 1958, pp. 226-230), thickness: 1-2 mm (estimate by Jörn Michaelsen  http://s567609897a9e4512.jimcontent.com/download/version/1348458289/module/58455...)

Tutankhamun slings: material: Linnen (source: Carter's notes 585y), thread thickness not known to me, but most probably also in the ballpark of 1 mm.

see also: http://www.academia.edu/6325864/Slings_in_the_Ancient_Near_East_with_Reference_t...

My recommendation: Go big for your first attempt e.g. 2 mm diameter or so. Then make a second one with smaller thread.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 3:14pm

the original sling they had in manchester, was somewhat damaged. So david made  anew one - thread around somewhere.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1351253561/5#5

Looks like teg made one as well.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1360291032/31#31

Don't be shy mate Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 6:56am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBIlNiqBXbc&t=1s

This video is looking like it will be pretty useful.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 4:43pm

Kick wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 6:56am:
This video is looking like it will be pretty useful.

This pouch is pretty deep - I would be afraid of some slung stones that after (or while) release comes not right out of such a (deep) "trough" (... and therefore I would try to make it more flatten). I find even Potters examples got shapes for its pouch that are a little bit to deep.  Huh

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 6:18am

Yeah I think the guy says at one point its come out very deep so that's something I want to avoid.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2017 at 11:44am by Kick »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)