no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: Online challenge
Reply #60 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:45am

wow very nice throws

Quote:
Then I got the camera out.
As usual this messes with my head and I lose my rhythm.
Tongue

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #61 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 5:29pm

Thanks.
Also as usual I post the videos in the end of a thread page so they get missed.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #62 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 6:43am

Typical day of trying to get footage. Cameras out targets safe.
Tried 20m shot on glass beer bottle with stones.
Got it on 2nd shot after I turned camera off. Wish I got it on film. Absolutely obliterated it!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #63 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 12:55pm

Just jugding by your posts it sounds like you are really improving.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #64 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 2:51pm

Thanks morphy
I've made a big improvement in accuracy over the last 5 months since I joining this forum.
Been trying my best to throw at least once every few days.
I'm going to give it a good go and try get to Mallorca one year.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #65 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:47am

one more challenge you might be interested in
Quote:
Slingers joined a society or union, and acquired the title of "foner" (slinger) if they passed the following test: fire nine shots hitting each of the crossbars of a traditional gate.

the crossbars are horizontal....
https://web.archive.org/web/20111015232438/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=th...

in the past i 've achieved to hit upright sticks or a hanging rope from up to 15m distance, of course with not enough consistency to call it skilled shot and not lucky.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #66 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:55pm

I'll try find a gate and give it a go!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #67 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 9:49pm

Morphy wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 7:53am:
With the changing weight maybe there is some possibility you can adjust, (maybe?), especially if you practice a lot at it. With poorly shaped ammo, its virtually impossible.

Not sure why it took me so long to understand that as a slinger, but once I used a really good, consistent set of ammunition for awhile and then switched back to poorly shaped ammo, it became apparent real fast how badly it can affect your accuracy.

Im convinced people who dont see a big difference arent slinging at small enough targets for it to matter.

It's interesting that you mention this.  Because, I actually don't notice a massive difference in accuracy with changing ammo. And I like small targets like cans.

Actually, the best accuracy I've ever achieved (and this is completely subjective, no hard data) was one bow-hunting season about 5 years ago, when I got my deer on the first day, so I had lots of free time. I started off by missing a grouse like 10 times in a row, until I ran out of nearby rocks, and it still just sat there. After this I was inspired to improve, so I would sling for like 3-4 hours a day. By the end of the week, I was hitting 6" trees from about 20 yards away 1 out of 5. It felt amazing. i felt like I could actually hunt something. But I never saw another grouse after that.

Anyway, during that period, I was just picking up weirdly shaped and inconsistent rocks from the forest and along a dirt road. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Maybe there was a difference and if I had consistent ammo I would have been even better. I dunno.

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #68 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 9:54pm

Mersa wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 8:47am:
Another unsuccessful attempt. So many close calls .
The angles really open up over 10. And camera makes me nervous.

Mersa, You should try this technique. When you film yourself, just film everything, and don't think that you are going to post it. It's just archival, for your own records. Then if you do get something good, you can post it. 

I find it calms the nerves if I don't think that I need to post anything. (and sometimes I don't).

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #69 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 10:20pm

I did this once and the memory card got full just as I started performing . i need to free up some space on my phone so I got more chance with it.
I have had maybe 10 -15 shots on rabbits in real life with the sling with mainly rocks but also a few clay glandes I made. All were misses but most were within a meter. Surprised that the rabbits arnt more scared by the windup. Some don't move at all. Had 2 were I was able to take a second shot somehow. I also may have got a rabbit but this isn't confirmed by any means read story here.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1509491851

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #70 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 10:23pm

IronGoober wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 9:49pm:
Morphy wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 7:53am:
With the changing weight maybe there is some possibility you can adjust, (maybe?), especially if you practice a lot at it. With poorly shaped ammo, its virtually impossible.

Not sure why it took me so long to understand that as a slinger, but once I used a really good, consistent set of ammunition for awhile and then switched back to poorly shaped ammo, it became apparent real fast how badly it can affect your accuracy.

Im convinced people who dont see a big difference arent slinging at small enough targets for it to matter.

It's interesting that you mention this.  Because, I actually don't notice a massive difference in accuracy with changing ammo. And I like small targets like cans.

Actually, the best accuracy I've ever achieved (and this is completely subjective, no hard data) was one bow-hunting season about 5 years ago, when I got my deer on the first day, so I had lots of free time. I started off by missing a grouse like 10 times in a row, until I ran out of nearby rocks, and it still just sat there. After this I was inspired to improve, so I would sling for like 3-4 hours a day. By the end of the week, I was hitting 6" trees from about 20 yards away 1 out of 5. It felt amazing. i felt like I could actually hunt something. But I never saw another grouse after that.

Anyway, during that period, I was just picking up weirdly shaped and inconsistent rocks from the forest and along a dirt road. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Maybe there was a difference and if I had consistent ammo I would have been even better. I dunno.

Who knows. I know I've had some slinging sessions where it didn't seem to matter but over all when slinging every day and keeping track of my hit percentage it made a big difference for me.

I could see if the stones were fairly heavy and not overly weirdly shaped. I've not had that experience with jagged and otherwise poorly shaped ammo.

I would say though, generally speaking, that I would be asonished if it made no difference simply because we don't know of any other weapon where imperfect ammo doesn't make a difference.

Some of the things I've noticed are changing drag (affecting elevation), planing into the wind, inconsistent release timing (very slight but when rotational speed is so high and the target so small even a fraction of a second can be a miss) and maybe a few more things that I can't remember off hand.

You are probably not alone in this though. I find myself being an outlier on a lot of my target slinging views. Strangely enough, as much as we have debated over the years, I find myself agreeing most with Jaegoor. But I'm open to being wrong on this one. In fact I really hope I am. Sure would make life easier.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #71 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 10:32pm

I'll agree with you there morphy.
Some days it don't matter what I sling If I'm slinging bad I'm slinging bad and same applies for good days .
In general I find that smooth roundish rocks can get consistent grouping but the Jaggered flat spuare edged stuff can just go anywhere .
Aerodynamics and smoothness of release are the main things.
I can ajust to weight within reason and size of projectile if the release is smooth and the aerodynamic profile is nice.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #72 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 9:09am

That's been my experience as well Mersa.  That being said I don't doubt you IronGoober. Before I settled on manufactured ammo as my favorite I had many good slinging sessions. I think getting better at slinging is a little like losing weight. You many not see the changes as much because it's so incremental. Over time little changes add up to big ones though.

I remember when I first started slinging seriously. The first year I didn't feel like there was much improvement. Then I went back to my old target and started slinging at it. I remember barely being able to hit it before. But now I was hitting it all the time. That's sort of how I figured out the obvious that I was getting better.

Probably with all that practice you did get a lot better.  Do you feel like you are better than you were back then,  now that you are using lacrosse balls IG?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #73 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 9:22pm

I'm definitely not as accurate as the magical week, but I do feel like I am generally more accurate than a few years ago.

My impression when I first started using lacrosse balls was that I wasn't any better off than before. But it is possible that I am getting a bit more consistent because of the fact that I'm using consistent ammunition.  I didn't really think about it at first, but I do seem to be improving, and at a much more noticeable rate than before.

So, maybe you are right. Time will tell. If I can hit my target 1 out of 2 with lacrosse balls, and then I go try rocks, and am much worse, I think I'll have a definitive answer, at least for myself. (and if I do, I'll post about it!)

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #74 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:44am

In favor of consistent ammo may not matter, I present this evidence.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALzA79BLWc

If you watch the rest of his stuff, he is pretty darn good and uses similar rocks to the ones he shows here.

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger)