Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 48
Send Topic Print
Online challenge (Read 94460 times)
Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Online challenge
Reply #435 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 1:22am

I do some of the challenges I just don't have the ability to record or post them,good Ammo is also an issue most of my practice is done with acorns Tongue.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #436 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 3:33am

Mersa wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 5:10pm:
Just a heads up as well, you don’t want to get your sling tangled in your wheels. That’s for sure.

This was why I was using the shortest sling I own that can still hold a tennis ball Cheesy

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 11:21pm:
I think there's a lot of reasons why folks aren't able or don't want to participate.  But if anyone is willing to share their own reason, I would be interested to hear.  Is it available time, video recording capability, lack of interest in crazy chance hits (like hitting a coin out of the air )...

I think it's all of those reasons. There are some that I still haven't done just because finding the time for them has been difficult. My work shifts have been pretty insane recently and because I'm so tired after my shifts I then put off everything until the next free day which then means I have almost no time to go out slinging before I have to start doing something else. I think as well for me, I've found I'v not wanted to film everything because the filming becomes a distraction from the slinging and then I know it will need at least a tiny bit of editing so it's more work that takes away from the slinging.

All that being said, I agree that this is easily one of the best threads and I love having that motivation to go and sling but also to try new ways of slinging. I think it would be difficult to get enough participants for a competition but maybe starting a fresh thread that doesn't look as intimidating (up to 30 pages now Cheesy) and that has the challenges clearly written out could help get people on board.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #437 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 9:20am

Greenjay wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 1:22am:
I do some of the challenges I just don't have the ability to record or post them

Even if you can't record a video, I think all of us would enjoy hearing about your experience with the challenges.  Let us know how you set things up, and how the slinging went.  Smiley

Kick wrote on Jul 19th, 2020 at 3:33am:
I think as well for me, I've found I'v not wanted to film everything because the filming becomes a distraction from the slinging and then I know it will need at least a tiny bit of editing so it's more work that takes away from the slinging.

I agree with this.  The days of slinging just to sling are awesome.  No worrying about setting up a camera, getting a great shot, or having to edit later.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #438 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 12:56pm

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #439 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 9:29pm

Awesome Kick!  Nice throw!  I'm not sure how you guys are managing that one a bike.  Probably because I haven't been on a bike in a couple decades.  It's just quite amazing to me.

I got my video done too.  This has to be some kind of record for the fastest we all completed a challenge and posted a video.  I don't have a bike, and had to use a mode of transportation that's a bit more stable.  So I tried to make the throw itself more difficult by increasing the distance.

https://youtu.be/u1q2s6etJSQ

Great stuff with this one guys!  I hope we still see another entry pop in here though.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #440 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 10:15pm

Great work guys!!
Love the lawnmower, great way to do the chores and the challenge at the same time.
Nice turn around for challenge submissions.
If I’m lucky I might get to try it on a skateboard.

What are our upcoming challenges??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #441 - Jul 20th, 2020 at 4:19am

Great hits! Mine were incredibly close so I'm thinking of trying again once my back wheel is unbent. Should we do the nail challenge next? That one is going to take a really long time for me to do I'm guessing.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #442 - Jul 20th, 2020 at 2:05pm

I think the nail is the next one on my list.  It's been hanging around too long and needs an attempt.  So I'm good with that plan.

Maybe once the nail is done we can do a brainstorm of ideas and see if anything interesting comes up.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #443 - Jul 20th, 2020 at 6:04pm

I’ll do my best for the nail challenge but I’m not really equipped for it where I am currently. With some luck I’ll make it work

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #444 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 9:42am

Mersa wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 8:11pm:
This thread is probably the most entertaining part of slinging.org for me. What I’d really like is a little more participation from other members. We have had a good little thing going between myself, kick and joe but I know there are other slingers on the forum that are well capible of these challenges.
Maybe a small incentive would encourage more activity?
Could we perhaps start a challenge with some type of judging or voting?
I would love a online tournament and 10+ competitors?
If we got 8 or 16 we could do it as a VS contest.
Start with easier tasks and vote or judge the winner of each pair until there’s a ultimate winner. A prize might encourage a few more participants. Maybe even teams?

I think that this thread being in the “sports” area gets it overlooked a lot.

I’m not in the best spot to be doing challenges as usual but this thread really gets my motivation going and keeps me improving.

Over the last several years I’ve had to put life on hold but I’m very close to being done. I hope next year will be the first one where I’m not stupid busy all the time. The best I’ve been able to do is write down a to do list of all the interesting things I see here to try for later.

One thing you may want to consider is the fact that all of these challengers are in one thread. For those who might want to join in but haven’t  been keeping up with this adventure you three have been taking part in reading a 30 page thread is pretty daunting to get caught up.

Not saying if you made individual threads  there would suddenly be a huge influx but it might help draw people in to things easier.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #445 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 11:46am

I've nearly got setup for slinging and filming, so I will likely be another contender for the challenges. Love outdoor ones like the 10 feet step back challenge idea, which will be my first attempt. I would like to see that challenge in some form become a standard for slinging, as it's very well rounded.
Only problem is that it takes 1 hour to do. To make it shorter and more challenging, perhaps you have to hit the target within 10 shots in order to advance to the next distance?
10 shots move back 10 feet.

I really like the idea of getting more people together for challenges, and the idea of teams is exciting. I also think that some friendly competition would help motivate people to practice more.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #446 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:51pm

@Way of the Sling - That's awesome!  It will be great to see someone else giving the challenges a shot.

I like your idea for a variation on the 10 feet challenge.  I had a similar thought.  Remove the time limit.  As you said, give yourself a certain number of shots to hit the target.  If you get a hit, you move back feet.  If you don't get a hit, you move forward 10 feet.  Continue until you're tired.  You could also just have a goal to reach a certain distance mark.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #447 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 4:36pm

We should have a sticky(ed) thread where each post is a separate challenge and the post has a list of all of the entries, and a "winner". We can then modify each entry as more challengers post their entries. That is the only decent way I can think of to keep track of all of them.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #448 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 5:33pm

Ok, Since everyone has been avoiding the nail challenge, I am throwing down the gauntlet!

https://youtu.be/M-Q4ygiqa-A

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #449 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 5:58pm

Awesome video NOOC !!! I really like your approach.
I guess there’s no more procrastinating, the nail challenge is on!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)