Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 48
Send Topic Print
Online challenge (Read 94425 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Online challenge
Reply #285 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 4:04am

I would love to take part in more of these challenges but yeah, filming, setting up the various challenges and then having actually decent weather to sling in have all been challenges themselves. This winter in Finland has been atrocious. We've had a max of about an inch of snow and it lasted A DAY. The rest of the time has been wet, muddy and miserable. Not good conditions for my girlfriend's camera or for slinging. The main area I can sling just becomes a swamp and a fair amount of it is just a giant puddle right now. I cannot wait for summer or some decent snow. Whichever comes first.

But yeah, hammering a nail, egg shot and candle would be awesome.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #286 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 4:22am

You might need to invest in a GoPro or something similar. Will definitely help get you more motivated to go outside in bad conditions. I can see your frustration in weather conditions hindering your slinging. But asides from the problem of capturing footage I think you could still get out there. Of course slinging on a beautiful summers day is more ideal.
I know I make the same excuse for myself with a lot of my hobbies, rain + whatever and I can usually talk myself out of it but maybe a waterproof camera will give you the push to get out there.

Not discrediting you just trying to give you a positive push.
Also indoor might be an option?
Have you asked any local sporting halls??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #287 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 5:34am

Yeah a GoPro might be a good thing to get. I might look into that. My main problem is a good place to sling. There are just so many people around the area I usually sling and people walking dogs etc. I never feel all that comfortable there. Indoor might be possible but I fear they will be a way off from where I am and I'll be even less motivated to go slinging if I have to take a bus :/ We'll be moving out of student housing next year so I'll have to see where we end up. Hopefully I'll find a better slinging spot.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #288 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 5:47am

Finding the right spot plays a huge role in slinging practice.
I’ve only just found a good spot recently that’s not a big drive away, I used to go after hours to a school and it was fine until one of the parents complained. I wasn’t hurting anyone or anything but some people just want to ruin people’s fun.

Back to the challenges!!!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #289 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 11:00am

I think we're starting to get things narrowed down a bit.

I like the frisbee idea, but unfortunately I don't have anyone to throw it.  I could do a frisbee hit, but it would pretty much be the aerial target with a different target.

In general I wouldn't mind trying a distance hit at some point.  But at my current skill level I think it would just be continuous throwing until I got that one lucky shot.  Not to imply that all my other good hits don't involve at least a small amount of luck. Wink

You could be right about the pendulum being easy.  I'll be able to set it up pretty quickly though.  I have a swing set that's rarely used.  I was going to take the swings down and hang up an old tire as a weight.  I think I'm still going to give this a try and see how it is.  If it is pretty easy, there will at least be another slinging video. Smiley

I like the ball rolling down the hill idea.  Sort of like trying to hit something that's running at you.  Like you, I'd also have to look around for a place to do this.

I think the small precise target might be our best option right now.  I really like the candle idea.  My concern with that is the wind will blow it out before the sling will.  I don't have an indoor area for slinging.  Maybe the nail is our best choice for something fairly easy to set up.  What kind of distance are you thinking?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #290 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 4:50pm

Well if we go with the nail I think that any distance past 5 m is acceptable, this will be a hard challenge, hitting the nail is one thing but it actually hammering into the wood will be difficult, glances are going to bend the nail and some of the ammo may not hold up to the test , filming may also be an issue. But like you said it might be our best bet.

I would like to try the frisbee, I’m thinking it’s kinda clay pigeon esk. I have a friend who’s available sometime and I could always ask the girlfriend.

Perhaps in reality the pendulum idea makes the most sense.
That way we will both likely achieve our hits before Easter.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #291 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 6:35pm

I was thinking about the nail challenge and there might be another issue.  Well, not issue, but something to think about.  A pretty hefty and dense projectile will be needed to hammer a nail into wood.  So I'm picturing a piece of wood that is totally smashed up, while in the center is still the nail that hasn't been hit yet. Grin

What if we line up three challenges.  We can start with the pendulum.  Or if you would like to try a frisbee hit, we could keep this one pretty general.  A hit on a target that is moving horizontally (at least for the most part) in front of you.  Then either would be valid.

Then when we get closer to Easter we can open up the egg hit challenge.  This will be some good practice on a smaller target.

And finally once the egg challenge is done, we can take on the sling-hammer challenge.

Quite a busy schedule! Smiley
What do you think?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #292 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 6:41pm

Ok deal, first challenge pendulum!
Let me see what I can rig up !!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #293 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 8:06pm

Right on!

And just as a reminder because I know there have been some new members join in recent days, anyone is more than welcome to join in on this challenge.

Just to fill in some info if you want to join in the fun:
  • You can use any sling, throwing style, and ammunition that you want.
  • Your target must be a pendulum style setup.  So basically a target that is swinging side to side in front of you.
  • The target needs to be in motion when you score your hit.
  • You should be at least 12 m (40 feet) from your target.  Although this usually isn't looked at very strictly.  I'm also totally fine with a change to this, but I think it's a nice manageable distance.
Just get your hit, or your attempt, on video and post it for everyone to see.  A good attempt can make for a great video too.  It's all about having fun. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2020 at 2:51pm by joe_meadmaker »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #294 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 12:13am

So I got a chance to try the pendulum challenge.
I must say this was my least favourite challenge yet, I struggled with getting a good swing on the pendulum.
First I tryed with a target that was too light and then again with a target in a area where the footage wasn’t able to see the target. So I went out to my sling range with a plan. I used pulleys and some of my arborist ropes to try make a decent pendulum effect, I was still not completely happy but it was the last chance before I lost my cool with this challenge. Ended up working ok but not my original design or idea for a target. If I get time I may revisit it for a second attempt.

Anyway I threw 25 stones and 7 hit the mark.

Here’s the highlights.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #295 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 8:26am

Your setup looked pretty good to me.  Nice slinging man!  7 out of 25, I hope I get that kind of accuracy.

Winter finally arrived and I had snow on the ground all weekend.  So I didn't get to try this yet.  I did pickup a rope and some other hardware, so I have everything to set it up.  Hopefully next weekend if weather permits.

You did seem to discover one thing I had concerns about.  Keeping the pendulum going.  I'm going to try a release cord to set the pendulum in motion, but no idea if it will work at this point.  Again, hopefully next weekend.

Good job man!  You got 1 out of 3 on the challenge list. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #296 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 11:14am

Great work! I have basically no way of setting up a pendulum... Might have to do of the other ones if the current storm lets up. Undecided

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #297 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 8:05pm

Thanks guys.
Really was difficult, well more difficult than I thought keeping a good swing, and as I said I still wasn’t overly pleased. I might revisit it again but I may also move to the egg challenge.

Any requirements??

Or simply make a video where an egg is the target?

Really would like to hit an aerial shot with an egg but cost of eggs might discourage this idea.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #298 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 10:50am

I think the egg challenge can be left open for options.  Just hit/break an egg with a projectile thrown from a sling.

I like the aerial idea.  Although I make no promises until I get the pendulum out of the way. Smiley
I think with an aerial egg target we definitely need to use plastic eggs.  Maybe try an empty one vs one filled with something to give it some heft.  I'd be curious to see the flight path differences.  One that's weighted should be able to be thrown much higher in the air.

Could also throw a bunch in the air at one time and unload on them with a shotgun-sling. Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #299 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 11:43am

What about hit an egg with an egg? Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)