Send Topic Print
Online challenge (Read 94490 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Online challenge
Reply #195 - May 2nd, 2019 at 6:49pm

Ok , double kill , 1 shot 2 targets , I like it .
Sling bowling sounds fun too but would be better played as a actual round in person I think .

I'm up for another challenge if you guys are .
Let's make it happen

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #196 - May 2nd, 2019 at 9:22pm

I'm in.  Let's do it!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #197 - May 3rd, 2019 at 7:58am

Might need some imaginative thinking for the targets. I hope I won't regret my suggestion Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #198 - May 3rd, 2019 at 3:59pm

What's the longest distance recorded hit ?
I have 45m and that is medium range...

I think a nice challenge would be: video of a hit at a balearic target or smaller, from 100m or more.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #199 - May 4th, 2019 at 5:39am

One problem with that is that I don't have that much space for long distance throwing. I'd have to wait for a lake to freeze for that I think Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #200 - May 4th, 2019 at 6:25am

@
Kick

yeah me neither. Undecided I'd have to drive to find a long range but when it happens just remember to have a distinguishable target and record it. Just be ready Wink

It would be better to see long range hits late than never...

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #201 - May 7th, 2019 at 7:05pm

I finally got around to cutting up some videos.  Here's the first additional video from the recording sessions I did while trying to hit an egg.  These are the hits I had on the plate which was holding the egg.

Over all the days I recorded, I hit the plate 6 times.  Two are missing from this video because my phone ran out of space for one.  And during another, the camera was zooming in and out really fast by itself.  No idea why.

https://youtu.be/xxOone9vokc

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #202 - May 11th, 2019 at 10:13pm

One more video from the recordings I made when trying to hit an egg.  This one is a bunch of hits on the tree that was holding the paper plate with the egg.  I wanted to put this video together because I like seeing the ice balls shatter Smiley

https://youtu.be/wVOjIPIW4G8

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #203 - May 12th, 2019 at 3:40am

Awesome! I haven't had the chance to go out and try the double kill yet as the weather has been pretty terrible and I've gone and caught ANOTHER cold! This was a bad one too, fever, shivering, sore throat... Lucky it seems to be clearing up quickly. Next week I'm going tutu the sneer cottage with my dad and my friend (first time in Finland for him Cheesy) so I might try and try it there.

IP Logged

slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #204 - May 18th, 2019 at 5:45am

Hi fellow slingers.

I agree with Sarosh that slinging at a baearic target at 100m would be a good challenge. After all the sling is a long range weapon.

I sometmes sling from goal mouth to goal mouth on a football pitch with an underhand style.Slinging between the posts on a rugby pitch would be good practice.

I sling mainly at a 80cmx40cm target at 48m (160 feet). When i now sling at 36m (120 feet) it seems too close.

Finding somewhere to sling at distance is a problem but i have found several places. Old industrial sites can sometimes be found. I found a new one yesterday in Belfast harbour estate with a concrete wall as a backstop. You might have to slip between a gap in a wire fence.

On a slightly different matter. How do we go about getting local councils to recognise slinging as a sport and persuading them to provide appropriate sports facillities such as other sports like tennis, football, hockey and rugby?

Any ideas how much it would cost to fabricate a balearic target from angle iron and plywood. If not too much i could get one made and arrange to have it cemented into the ground on some unused land?

SRFF

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #205 - May 18th, 2019 at 8:34am

I'd say it's next to impossible to get it recognized. There are far too few slingers. Also increased scrutiny from officials will probably less them to try and ban these "dangerous weapons"'. In some ways its good slings are kind of flying under the radar.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #206 - May 18th, 2019 at 12:20pm

I also have the problem with a location for a distance of 100 m.  Although I know of one place I can probably use.  It's on the land of a nearby college.

Another thing for me personally is that I don't know for sure that I can throw 100 m.  I think I probably can, but I've never measured a distance throw with any real accuracy.  Usually when throwing for distance, I'm throwing in to the trees and brush around my house.  So I can't really measure it.  I will start looking in to the possibility though.

On the topic of getting recognition for slinging as a sport, I think it has to go the other way around.  I don't think recognition comes first, then you get dedicated areas for slinging.  I think there needs to be a lot of interest and people doing it, then it gets recognized.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #207 - May 18th, 2019 at 2:29pm

@SRFF to make slinging a recognised sport you need to show them how they can make money through it, but slinging is of the cheapest sports you can do. so good luck. another way would be through tradition.
or if the International Olympic Committee smoked some weed...

I agree with Kick ,I like that it's flying under the radar.

joe_meadmaker wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 12:20pm:
I don't know for sure that I can throw 100 m.

you can

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #208 - May 18th, 2019 at 4:36pm

Double kill!  Many misses were involved, but I got the double hit in my first slinging session trying to do it.  Cheesy

Here's some info on the throw.  The sling is one I made just the other day.  I posted a picture of it in the sling pics topic.  It's made from boot laces and a leather pouch.  The length is 31.5 inches (80 cm).  The targets are plastic rings I made by cutting the middle out of two bucket lids, and then taped brown paper over them.  The targets are about 58 inches (147 cm) apart.  My distance from the front target is about 55 feet (16.7 m).

https://youtu.be/UEeDGM3QF4Q

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #209 - May 18th, 2019 at 5:50pm

Yeah boy!!!!
F***ing brilliant .
Not how I was planning on trying it but I really like what you've done.
I was going to attempt ricochet the stone from the first target to the second, I like your way..

Again great work

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)