Send Topic Print
Online challenge (Read 94485 times)
woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Re: Online challenge
Reply #120 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 11:27pm

Just so everyone's aware: "Corn" in old English and even in some current usage refers to any grain. In the US, we refer to Maize as "Corn" while in Europe it was wheat for hundreds of years. Alternately, corn could also mean barley, rye, oats, or others.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/corn

In biblical terms, it could have been a number of things, but would certainly refer to the most common grain plant of the region involved.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #121 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 5:11am

Sarosh I'm liking your Byzantine, big improvement ??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #122 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 1:57pm

Excellent slinging Sarosh.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #123 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:04pm

woodssj wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 11:27pm:
Just so everyone's aware: "Corn" in old English and even in some current usage refers to any grain. In the US, we refer to Maize as "Corn" while in Europe it was wheat for hundreds of years. Alternately, corn could also mean barley, rye, oats, or others.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/corn

In biblical terms, it could have been a number of things, but would certainly refer to the most common grain plant of the region involved.

I know that, but I do not believe RS does . If he did, why would he call the grain corn?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #124 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:41am

I tell ya... I believed it all until the corn part. Magical exploding slingstones and Jesus the Holy Noodler aside, it was the corn that broke this camel's back.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #125 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:15pm

LOL I miss RS’s crazy stories. I still laugh that he had people trying to catch fish by slapping the water with a flat stone, but if I had to pick just one favorite, it’s definitely the Holy Noodler Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #126 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 4:02am

No way the turkey throw is the best , because I think it's actually a viable style with a lot of practice , the rest was pure Rs ,,rambling poopy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #127 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 4:37am

The Turkey throw is legit. I've tried it out a few times but you need the right length sling to maximise the efficiency of it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #128 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:42am

Mersa wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 4:02am:
No way the turkey throw is the best , because I think it's actually a viable style with a lot of practice , the rest was pure Rs ,,rambling poopy

So I guess that's why it's sort of a shame it turned out the way it did. Trolling 101: don't get so wrapped up in the nonesense that you can't distinguish the real from the BS anymore. He went too deep too fast. There was no getting him back. Slingception.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #129 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 12:13pm

what is the "turkey throw"?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #130 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 12:24pm

It actually first came up in RS's intro post. Mersa made a video (because RS was entirely incapable of such a feat...).

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1517174584/0

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #131 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 3:54pm

seems like a greek style variant with a more difficult starting position , so why not greek style?
nice throw mersa

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #132 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 11:13pm

A variation of Greek style?! No way! Greek is fairly simple to learn, but the turkey throw is a lost art which takes years to master. It is only preserved in RS’s personal library of ancient Phoenecian manuscripts that were passed down to him from the five great noodlers of the Illuminati. Four of them died to protect the secret, and it only made its way to RS from noodler #5 because RS knows this guy who met some kid who saw him pass out at Thirty One Flavors. Turkey style is pretty serious stuff  Wink

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #133 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 2:10am

To be fair, it isn't any more difficult than Greek and, as was pointed out by RS, you can hold the position so you're ready to fire for as long as you want just by resting your arm on your shoulder. It's fairly powerful and accurate as a throw. It's the one useful thing we got from RS, don't ruin it! Cheesy
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:44am by Kick »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #134 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 4:00am

Ha ha ha !!!!!
Nice summary !

Might have to revisit the turkey.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)