RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Online challenge
Reply #90 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 4:05pm

Sarosh wrote on Mar 27th, 2018 at 5:25am:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bFQYNfJqqY
staff sling and beer cans @~4:21

note how in the slingshot test, towards the end the speed dropped...few realize that as you pull the bands back, they warm up...the warmer they get, the less retraction power that they have...or the longer they are held in stretched position, the more power they will lose on the snap back...that is why many who are really good with one do quick release shooting..
but as to the other, i saw no advantage of a staff sling over a regular sling from watching the video...

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #91 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 6:16am

One advantage ( less time to learn the technique)

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #92 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 8:40am

in the video the staff sling is presented as better than the sling. i agree with mersa a noob can use a staffsling much more easily than a sling.

but the sling is much more versatile than the staff sling.

edit: i really like the way he tried to measure speed of projectiles but i don't think it was necessary to put a man to say the readings .there was a camera...

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #93 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 12:22pm

Fowler is a showman.  I talk to him frequently on another forum. I use to be a fan of him. Then he started selling out. But that's of the times, I guess.  He actually annoys me know, but look at his channel.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #94 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 1:49pm

Invariably when I see channels like this put forward theories it's based on a newbies opinion of what is possible with the sling. In one sense it does get more people interested in slinging, but the other side of it is people who have little skill/knowledge of  something giving opinions that people then take as gospel truth.

The best one to one fighting style I can think of with either a sling or a staff sling is a normal slinger using a rotor. Especially if your 10-15 meters away and the slinger is fairly strong and fast, it will be very difficult to dodge a shot from that distance.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #95 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:50pm

I feel like this may be a stupid question, but, what’s a rotor?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #96 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:53pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_rotor
from what i understand morphy means a multiple rotation style could be helicopter style

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #97 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 8:04pm

Yes, Sarosh is right. A rotor is simply a sustained spin until one is ready to release. This is opposed to a throw that always has a set amount of rotations. Think of the typical Hollywood depiction of a slinger.

A rotor has the advantage of maintaining motion and tension on your sling indefinitely until you are ready to throw.

If David started a rotor as he was walking towards Goliath he would have maintained an even spinning until the right moment upon where he would've pulled into the throw and immediately slung the stone. That's the benefit of a rotor.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #98 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 3:27am

I'm with morph . I think the main advantage of using rotor techniques is being ready to shoot(ammo secured in pouch). But I'm not sure that it has much application outside of warfare. For sling hunting a more stealthy technique will likely work better than rotors. And target practice it really don't matter at all .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #99 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 1:18am

Morphy wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 8:04pm:
A rotor has the advantage of maintaining motion and tension on your sling indefinitely until you are ready to throw.

If David started a rotor as he was walking towards Goliath he would have maintained an even spinning until the right moment upon where he would've pulled into the throw and immediately slung the stone. That's the benefit of a rotor.

yes, he used a short sling.  it is said most likely to have been two straps of leather crossed like a sharp "x" . 

now the staff in his hand is another thing.  a staff was used as, among other things, a range finder.  staffs were not random sticks, well they could have been if they were worked on a little.  they had a measurement system.  according to the height of the person whom it would belong to and up to the next even cubit added.  most were marked half way down, marked at one cubit from each end, as well as marked with the span and breadth of the hand on each or at least one end.  it was for all purposes also a "measuring rod".  when he had it in hand, holding out the skinny end towards the enemy to get the range.  it helps when nervous...he was using it to measure off the distance as he ran up to the giant, rotating his short sling in the other hand.  when he was the right distance, prolly two or three lengths of the staff or whatever he had practice a lot at, it was over.  there is a guide to the staff in old jewish writings...it usually had a couple other lil tricks like that to it too....  some made their's as needed instead of carrying one all the time.   they sharpened the end and made staves out of them, some with said systems on them and usually would throw them away when done.  slinging groups would make walls out of them to stand behind when needed.  like a wall off an old frontier fort.  and have different length staves through out the camp for hand to hand problems, but mostly they just used them to dispatch the enemy wounded after battle.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2018 at 5:59am by RS »  

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #100 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 9:38am

RS, where are you getting your information?  Can you give a title or author?

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #101 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 7:58pm

yes bill i most certainly can...it will take a little minute but i will work on getting that together and when it is complete will pm it to u.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #102 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 5:33am

Could you post it here?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #103 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 4:27am

no.  but i have started gathering some of the info for mr. skinner.  in a way i feel bad about doing it like that, but i will show him a couple things regarding it anyway.  it is a chore but one i am not too burdened by.  but i am going to start making a series of training videos later this spring and summer.   drills for slinging improvement, one of the best places to do said drills, show a few neat things about different styles that i have not seen others show, and among many other things..."the game"...

the game is the ultimate in slinging games, witht he exception of playing war.  it involves one certain type of slinging move called,(for a loooong time) "the floating backhand."   the playing forum requires a small bit of a set up, but really is easy to adjust.  each man, for the most part will have a slightly different webbing height...according to his personal 'full' cubit(measured from the bent outside elbow to middle finger tip, or two and a half spans of the hand. (span is used here to mean length and not full area or expanse as it also means) as a cubit and two and a half spans are virtual equal).  so no one has advantage.  the projectile leaves the sling, cannot go over the man's webbing which is set at his cubit in height and the longest thrown distance wins...it has to be done with the floating backhand only which requires a certain hold and follow through....the entire maneuver feels completely unnatural but is call by the name that it is  because when the projectile is released it floats  a cubit or less off the ground for as far as it can go(if it touches the webbing it is disqualified, if it goes out of bounds sideways or touches the sticks holding the webbing, it is disqualified, and when it touches the ground it is dead, i.e. rolling does not count towards distance.)  as each man's height is raised or lowered according to his own body, no one can claim disadvantage one way or another....it is supposed to be the deciding factor of who has the best working understanding of slinging dynamics...today i got, and with my non dominate hand i might add...approximately 16 metres,(i had no webbing but was easily within height) a new record for me...when i do the video to show how it is set up, i will offer a trade forum challenge, prized for any who can beat my distance, which will be recorded at the time of instruction and show u the results.

side note: the same source in which i got this and the staff info. also lays out, what it calls, the proper sling to body size measurements. but i will hold that down for now as well.

iow's i am going to wait on much of what i have to say until the videos to keep assertion slinging loudmouths at bay.  i will post them on youtube and perhaps leave a link here.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #104 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 5:50am

Ok. In that case, Bill, once you get the information could you post it here? Thanks.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Chris)