Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unconventional Sling Materials (Read 834 times)
cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Unconventional Sling Materials
Aug 19th, 2017 at 12:39pm

Hi everybody!

I wonder if anybody here has made a sling from "unconventional" materials -- as in not the stuff that is commonly used (like leather, fibers, paracord, seatbelt, etc).

As an experiment, I made a pebble sling about 24" long from paper towels. It's just some reverse twisted strips knotted into a simple sling. It works suprisingly well! It's probably not going to be very durable, and the release isn't all that clean because of how bulky the knots on the end of the pouch are, but it isn't bad.

What unconventional materials have you made slings from?

IMG_2412.JPG (30 KB | 26 )
IMG_2412.JPG

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Unconventional Sling Materials
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 3:08pm

I've spun up some plarn (plastic yarn) from strips of plastic bags. Twisted the plarn into 2 ply plarn line and then used the line to braid a pouch. It worked quite well; but is very slippery. I have to be very careful with ammo placement as it was a flat braid and the ammo wants to slide out  Embarrassed. It would be fine had I braided a cupped pouch.  Wink

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 7:53pm

I have made slings out of twisted braided grass before.
the paper towels are awesome

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 2:43pm

Once I forgot my sling while walking the Huskies so I made an Appu Sling out of that yellow police tape that they use to block off an area.  It worked for the day but eventually stretched too  much to be useful.  Another time when I forgot my sling I ripped the electrical cord out an old junk TV someone had left as litter and made one from that.  It worked OK. Also I once made a pj type sling out of leather lace.  It looked very pretty but was too elastic to be safe or useful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)