Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ancient ASIAN slingers? (Read 1896 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Ancient ASIAN slingers?
Aug 17th, 2017 at 9:42pm

I wondered from time to time if the sling really was used ALL around the world. I searched Japanese and Chinese slingers, nothing so far.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Ancient ASIAN slingers?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 12:48am

The indegenous aboriginal people of Australia never used a sling. However they did develop the boomerang and the woomera(similar to an atlar but wider and also used as a sheild and for serving food).

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 6:55am

No the sling wasn't used all round the world.

It developed almost exclusively in herding and fishing communities.

And before anyone mentions native americans. The tribes we call plains tribes were actually coastal tribes who moved into the interior after the original plains tribes were wiped out by disease bought by the earliest europaens.

It's one reason they used to drive whole herds of bison over cliffs - they didn't have the bond with the animals that the original plains indians had.

Isn't the woomera the thing you swing round your head to send long distance messages ?
Got one somewhere my aunt sent me from australia. 

The chinese and japanese issue is quite different and most likely cultural.

Both countries developed long lasting civilisation much earlier than most countries. And in both cultures the common man was treated as little more than a slave with any signs of weapon ownership being stamped on in an often fatal manner.

So while it's possible that herders dod use slings, they would most likely never have been developed beyond herding usages. 

Though in that case you would have expected the monks to develop sling usage as part of martial art practices.
Most chinese martial arts weapons are based on farming implements.

I've visited the ban po neolithic village museum in xi'an. In many ways it's more impressive than the close by terracotta warriors exhibition.
As it shows a level of tehnical prowess and civilisation that was thousands of years ahead of the western world.
No slings.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 8:42am

In some ways the sling is an incredibly simple weapon but then again it does take a certain train of thought to invent it and might not come naturally. It might just be that people in different areas either didn't come up with it or they just didn't see much potential in it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 9:16am

It would be interesting to see if there was any other correlation besides animal herding to explain why some cultures used it and some didnt.

Australia is sort of an abberration. They also didnt have the bow which you could make a good case for being the best primitive weapon ever created for a post megafauna world. So maybe there is an unknown factor there.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:46am

When you look at the big game in Australia it's evident that a spear and woomera (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woomera_(spear-thrower) is enough. Also our a lot of our native woods are hard and dense and hard to work.

Boomerang is also a nice substitute for a sling stone.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:41am

CA, you're thinking of a bullroarer for the message device. Comes in handy for waking people up, too.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:36am

Mersa wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:46am:
When you look at the big game in Australia it's evident that a spear and woomera (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woomera_(spear-thrower) is enough. Also our a lot of our native woods are hard and dense and hard to work.

Boomerang is also a nice substitute for a sling stone.

To be honest, I think I would prefer a boomerang or kylie to a sling in a lot of ways. So yea, maybe you are right and there was just no need for anything different.   

For a bow I dont really know. Native Americans used some pretty hard woods at times. I think it wouldve be an advantage in some parts but overall maybe the benefit wasnt enough to justify the cost.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 2:16pm

There is at least this old thread mentioning slings in japan.  http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1243702863/0

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:32pm

Yeah it's strange as the aboriginal people made twine and a small bow for starting fire so some of the Tec was there I just think they had there way of doing things so why change it , the islanders above Australia had bows and slings I'm fairly sure.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 2:31pm

The sling in Lovelock Cave is several thousand years old, it was also found with Tule reed duck decoys, leading a lot of people to think the sling may have bee used for hunting waterfowl.

Buffalo jumps in North America date back at least 12,000 years and were used up to around 1500, when the Native Americans first got horses.  Lewis and Clarke describe how a western tribe still did drives in 1805.

Chasing critters off a cliff or into a swamp to immobilize them is a pretty ancient practice, there are sites in southern France and Spain that also show this practice.

So, while some herding groups may have used it for herding animals, it was around with groups that didn't domesticate herd animals.

And while the natives in South America were familiar with the bow and arrow, Pizarro reported the Incas used the sling as their primary distance weapon.  They had llamas but they aren't exactly noted as being a herd animal.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 8:04am

llamas are definitely herd animals Smiley
Slings are used to herd them even today.
Yaks too, and alpacas etc.

Any animals that man has domesticated is a herd animal.

One of the points, is that the original interior indians probably were also herders - so no reason they wouldn't have slings. It's my understanding that very little is known about them.
I would consider 1500 to be modern history Smiley
The documentary I saw indicated that the interior indians did not survive long after europaen contact with the americas. There were also a lot of indications that coastal indians had abandoned settlements en-masse to move into the interior in the same time period. 

Pretty much the only advantage a sling has over a bow is distance and easy to make ammunition.
For many cultures the disadvantages outweigh those.
Much longer learning curve than a bow, not as good for hunting larger animals, and lack of stealth when stalking.
A bow can be held  cocked, ready to fire for an extended period - a sling can't.
YOu pretty much have to stand up and make a large movement that will alert your prey. Bows can be used from a semi prone position quite easily.

Slings would be superior for hunting waterfowl as you can launch several missiles at once - much like a shotgun.
And you are primarily shooting at animals that have been spooked already.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AmdoCraft

Tibetan Handicrafts

Xining, China
Reply #12 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 4:47am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 8:04am:
Yaks too, and alpacas etc.

Yes, we are here in Tibetan areas in Western China and Tibetan herders are still using the slings to herd Yak and sheep.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)