Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another slinging vid on YouTube (Read 6800 times)
Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Another slinging vid on YouTube
Reply #15 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 11:52am

I think the best tool to make is a digging stick.  You can also use it as a throwing stick.  Or a club.  About the length of your arm or a little shorter, sharpen one end and flatten out the other.

However, you best chances of survival exist between your ears. 

Learn the edible plants in your area.  Learn what is ripe at certain times of the year.  Learn what plants have edible roots and how to recognize them in the winter.  Learn how to make a decent shelter that's one step up from a pile of leaves.  Learn how to recognize a good source of drinking water, how to build a fire under all conditions and a whole bunch more.  Every body used to do it and think nothing of it, it wasn't a big deal.

In other words, if you are interested in survival and bush craft, you have to learn.  And you have to do it before you go.  Don't be like the guy in "Into the Wild" who shot a caribou and didn't know how to clean the animal, so the meat spoiled and he starved to death.

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #16 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 8:19am

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #17 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 2:22pm

@Bill Skinner: the Into The Wild guy actually poisoned himself with berries according to the book. Also... don’t be like him and take a .22 into the Alaskan wilderness. He was really lucky to take a young caribou with it, but the animal probably suffered needlessly before it died unless his shot placement was just right. He’s not a survival role model for many many reasons.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #18 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 7:58pm

The guy can hit something after a year of practice. Pretty cool.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 5:19pm

It's an amazing survival weapon where I live.
If you train for 6 months to a year consistently you should be able to take down (aquatic) birds who come and go in swarms.

If you can hit the broadside of a barn you should be able to take down a bird within a flock with a bit of luck

In the past I tested my luck, and got a kill shot in the sky on a flock

You can't really risk shooting off an expensive arrow in the hopes of getting a long distance kill (or stun) in a flock. But you can definitely waste plenty of rocks. And where I live, there are plenty of opportunities.

There is no other primitive weapon more suited for this task.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 10:09pm

His second slinging video from a year later is much better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28r-MQejnHg

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Dec 29th, 2018 at 3:52pm

I think there are a few clear issues set here that need to be addressed before asking "Is the sling a worthless survival weapon".

In terms of modern short-term survival, is hunting a worthless survival skill? Even with a rifle, depending on the area, an experienced hunter could go a few days (or a season) without any significant game. Let alone an inexperienced hunter with a primitive weapon.

For most people, I'd agree with Bill Skinner's post on the essential skills. If you can prevent dehydration, injury, exposure, and signal or walk to help, you'll be alright for awhile.

Now back to the original question, I think it is largely determined by the individual and the environment. Most of us on here have some experience slinging and would therefore be significantly more accurate than the average person on the street with a sling. Probably capable of taking a bird or two over the course of a day if there are enough present. In that situation, it is better than retrieving your throwing stick or preciously carved arrow in the lake every time you miss.

So if I was stranded for more than a few days, I'd definitely give a sling a go in combination with a throwing stick.

However, does it deserve a spot in the average camper/hiker/outdoor enthusiast survival kit? Probably not

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #22 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 1:07pm

When I was in the army, one person did not hit any with Assault Rifle.
That is, the Assault Rifle is a worthless Survival weapon. Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 4:17pm

Some very good points are made here. My post sort of mirrors Dan's.  For the many of us who have been slinging for a while I believe the sling would always  be a worthwhile survival tool.  It would be the second weapon I'd make right after a spear.  Would it be my primary weapon? No.  I would probably make an atlatl as my primary weapon.   But slings are so darned easy to make under any circumstances plus depending on the area the ammo can be just laying on the ground all over the place. For the average person the sling would be next to useless in a survival situation.  It would take months at best for them be become even somewhat accurate with it.  But to many of us it would be a fast, easy, useful back up weapon.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 5:28pm

Two young men spent 46 days in the north east U.S. woods. They made  throwing sticks and spears. No slings. I would have one. Interesting book. It is titled "wilderness Survival" by Elbroch and Pewtherer.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #25 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 10:24am

If you are expecting to survive because of your equipment, you are already thinking about it wrong. Even great skills can be useless if you don’t maintain a positive attitude and the will to survive. If I had a sling, I would probably use it... unless I could use a shotgun to do the same job. Preferable to both would be food, fire, and shelter (obviously).  In a survival situation though, a sling might  keep me entertained during long hours of boredom, and focusing on something that makes you happy is pretty important to survival.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #26 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 12:00pm

We've discussed this before.  I can think of two very good uses for a sling in a survival situation. One would be to bomb a squirrels nest.  You wouldn't want to use arrows to do this because you'd get them all stuck in the nest high up in the tree plus you'd probably pin any squirrel you hit inside of the nest.  A sling with an egg sized stone would have the power to knock a squirrel silly inside of its nest probably causing it to fall to the ground where you could club it before it regained its senses.  The beauty of using a sling in this situation is that if it took you a dozen shots to hit the nest who cares? They're just stones. Another use would be to shoot at a flock of waterfowl sitting on the water.  If  you used an underarm throw your projectile would bounce off of the water in a low trajectory increasing your chances of a hit if your shot was a little short.  You  wouldn't want to use arrows in this situation because you'd have almost no chance of retrieving your misses.  Of course a sling wouldn't save your butt on its own but I can see where it could definitely be useful to an experienced slinger.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #27 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 4:56pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 10:24am:
If you are expecting to survive because of your equipment, you are already thinking about it wrong. Even great skills can be useless if you don’t maintain a positive attitude and the will to survive. If I had a sling, I would probably use it... unless I could use a shotgun to do the same job. Preferable to both would be food, fire, and shelter (obviously).  In a survival situation though, a sling might  keep me entertained during long hours of boredom, and focusing on something that makes you happy is pretty important to survival.

Ding ! Ding ! Ding !

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)