Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Slinging theories/explanations "internal ballistics" (Read 14819 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Slinging theories/explanations "internal ballistics"
Reply #15 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 8:26pm

I have a slow motion Apache throw in my intro http://slinging.org/forum/yabbfiles/Attachments/trim_A9A8F9AA-D5A8-4E83-8B40-CFF...

Pouch lag is pretty evident and motion more or less circular.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #16 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 3:55am

cpman wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 5:50pm:
I think if you are looking for the math, it's easier to figure it out for apache than most other styles due to the nearly circular motion. Part of the issue is that the sling does not extend straight out from your hand until the very end of the throw.

But the origin idea was to get the "math" of that kind of slinging style (helicopter / side-arm) that could achieve ranges far more than 300 m.

Apache style is like a simple circular slinging without "extension", because to rotate an streched arm over head is not much more than a simple circular slinging.

To sling a stone with slings of length 1,00 - 1,40 m and up to 3 rounds per second achieves stone-velocity of maximum 30 m/s. But to achieve far more than 300 m we need velocity(s) of 60 - 80 m/s. So we need to study a slinging style that is able to multply the "initial velocity" of 25 - 30 m/s.

I mean we do not searching for the math of a simple "carousel" or salad spinner, but the math and conditions for multiplication of its velocity. 25 - 30 m/s has to become 60 - 80 m/s.

For this "secret" to study (and to solve) we need more stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwuJae3aRe0 (filmed from over the slingers head)

I am convinced with the "fact" (better: "idea") that the searched / hidden "factor" comes from the relation of small and large axis of an (far) extended circle (= like an ellipse).

That's not exactly the same as the princip (super circle) of that "trebuchet" that I posted the day before yesterday.

Remarked just by the way: The long english terms "the day before yesterday" and "the day before the day before yesterday" sounds in german simply "vorgestern" und "vor-vor-gestern" (... thanks god!).

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:34pm

I should point out that apache still causes an elliptical path like the diagram of the trebuchet. It has a lead angle which decreases to zero on launch. Effectively causing elliptical motion.

I've been looking at the more complex styles a bit (and practicing them a bit to try and understand the feel). It's unclear to me whether there is any real qualitative difference between them and the basic styles, or whether they work by a similar, but different mechanism. I'm just going to try and mathematically 'get' the simple sort of trebuchet-sling movement then perhaps I might be able to work some stuff out about the others  Cheesy

The distinction from what I can figure out is that the drive from the hand in these other techniques is pretty much directly forwards with a very large trailing angle which then quickly whips round, it's this drive which is the limiting factor of the throw essentially. Compared to maybe a basic apache movement which is working on a circular rotation of the arm.

What might be the key thing to work out is the force of the explosive drive or the torque on the limbs required to cause the acceleration of the projectile (this might be very difficult to get realistic figures on). I suspect that the centripetal force causing tension on the arm (F=mv^2/r approximately..) becomes relevant for very heavy stones where even a moderate speed rotation will apply a lot of force pulling the arm straight. For fig 8 ect this can ruin your kinetic chain and stop you putting a lot of drive into the throw (just try throw fig 8 or sidearm with a v heavy stone to see what I mean, it'll drag your arm straight and effectively make it a poor mans apache style).

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #18 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 2:12pm

JudoP wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:34pm:
I should point out that apache still causes an elliptical path like the diagram of the trebuchet.

... but only when the sling is shorter than the arm (50 - 70 cm) ... as it is at the shown trebuchet.

When the sling is much longer than a slingers arm (90 - 140 cm) then the difference between small & large axis is so small (much less than 50 %) that the ellipse is very similar to a simple circle. 

And when the sling were right twice as long as the arm, than the trebuchet couldn't work at all anymore.

What do you mean with "lead angle"? Is this the angle at or in the arm of trebuchet (so "zero" while release)?

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #19 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 2:48pm

johan wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:19am:
2) i thought too that the arm goes straight but then i watched closely to some videos and made that conclusion. some people or styles may do it to greater extent than others.is it good for speed? i don't know .

I have to change my opinion on this again, because the "deklination" of the hand to describe a curve is not much more than the "deklination" to wind up the simple slinging-circle.

I mean the hand goes around in a circular curve (to drive the bullet) all the time of slinging. So this "curvy path" also has to be ignored in the move for the last half round (right before release). In other words: "Show the hands path and motion allways or never!"

It's not so important (to show) where the hand goes, but where the circle goes, and right this goes pretty stright on (a linear path) in direction of target.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #20 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:52pm

I've also been throwing different styles to try decipher the code.
I agree with judop about heavy stones in certain styles.
Experienced it first hand.

Do We want a degree of trail angle or pouch lag???

Happy to try film stuff if anything is needed

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #21 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 3:04am

Mersa wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
Do We want a degree of trail angle or pouch lag???

i think that pouch lag creates acceleration or otherwise put , it is a position of leverage/power position.
it doesn't seem to tell us a lot about final speed.

below is a picture of mod fig8 with higher speed than the last one. sorry for the quality it was filmed from far away.

power_mod_fig8.png (6 KB | 45 )
power_mod_fig8.png

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #22 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 4:40am

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 2:12pm:
JudoP wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:34pm:
I should point out that apache still causes an elliptical path like the diagram of the trebuchet.

... but only when the sling is shorter than the arm (50 - 70 cm) ... as it is at the shown trebuchet.

When the sling is much longer than a slingers arm (90 - 140 cm) then the difference between small & large axis is so small (much less than 50 %) that the ellipse is very similar to a simple circle. 

And when the sling were right twice as long as the arm, than the trebuchet couldn't work at all anymore.

What do you mean with "lead angle"? Is this the angle at or in the arm of trebuchet (so "zero" while release)?

There would still be pouch lag with most any sling you could actually do apache style with, I've thrown apache with my approx 90cm sling before and it's definitely not just a straight extension to the arm. It may be less so with longer slings but I think you would struggle throwing apache at all before it gets too long.

Lead angle- Ah yeah sorry, this is established forum lingo. Essentially this is a measure of the pouch lag, it's the angle of how much the sling is behind a radial path (if that makes sense).

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #23 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:00am

JudoP wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 4:40am:
Lead angle- Ah yeah sorry, this is established forum lingo. Essentially this is a measure of the pouch lag, it's the angle of how much the sling is behind a radial path

So this one, perhaps? (... "36,6°" for example only) ...

... or the other one underneath? (... "28,91°" for example only)
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:34am by Apex-apoc »  

Lead_angle_-_01.png (43 KB | 36 )
Lead_angle_-_01.png
Lead_angle_-_02.png (53 KB | 25 )
Lead_angle_-_02.png

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #24 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:42am

So the 36.6 degrees I think, assuming the red line is the arm.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #25 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 9:42am

JudoP wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:42am:
assuming the red line is the arm.

Ähm ... not really. The arm isn't drawn here, but the red line nevertheless is the radius of the hands motion-circle. But the middelpoint of this circle is neither the schoulder nor the ellbow and therefore the red line can not be the arm, although similar to this.

Let's say it's the "forearm" (at the most).

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #26 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 11:33am

johan wrote on Aug 16th, 2017 at 6:51am:
put in here your ideas on how high velocities are achieved and what  can be done to achieve even more speed/ power

I think I have solved the "enigma" of a moved slinging-circels "extra power", because in replacement of "classical physik" with "modern physik" Einstein said somthing like: "There is no difference between heavy mass and sluggish mass".

That means it doesn't matter if a body is in a field of gravity or in a other caused (= forced) acceleration - in both cases the body will experience a force that moves it. So try to imagine the "stone" were not in a sling but in a pendulum or a weight at the edge of a "turn table" (germ.: "Plattenspieler").

When it is a mass on edge of a turntabel and you move the whole turntable happens the same as happens when it is a pendulum in a field of gravity: The mass (bullet) moves (accelerated) to the deepest (respectivley "southest") point.

The same happens when the system is a moved slinging-circle (is in principal the same as a turntable), but in a slinging-circle there also is an initial velocity (while the turntable stands still).

That means the mass or bullet in a slinging-circle gets an acceleration and its velocity does increase. But this were only the first step of increasing the velocity, because in a second step it gets the velocity from moving it to the "northest point" .

Let's say, the bullet has had the initial-velocity of 22 m/s (= 3 rps):

Cause of moving the slinging-circle with 10, 12, 15 ... up to 25 m/s this velocity increases from 3 rps to 4,5 rps (for example) - allready achieved in the "southest point" (or "position). From there these 4,5 rps gets another acceleration by addition of that velocity what is the hands velocity while fullfilling the "extension" up to the point of release: Perhaps another 1,5 "rps" once more.

In the total sum that makes 6 rps what is somthing like a doubling of the initial velocity. In this case the "factor" would be "2,0" (... 2 x 3 rps = 6 rps = 44 m/s). How this principally works (in the first stage) shows my drwwing (Image P-01).

Note: For throwing a (base-) ball by pure hand mens hand can be acclelerated up to 46 m/s within a very short time (unfortunatly I do not know the shortest time exactly but I guess somting about a tenth of a second, so perhaps within 1/10 or even 1/15 sec.). While starting such a throw hands speed of course is not so high as in ending the throw with then achieved "top-speed": In its first tenth second the speed achieves probably up to 5-10 m/s only.
But in opposite (or: ... in contrast) to the baseballplayer (pitcher) the slinger has the advantage that his balls mass doesn't drag against hands move: When a slinger starts the "extension" (thats compareable with a baseballers start of throwing) the ball is passing the "west-point" of its slinging circle, where it practically causes no resistance against hands work. That is similar to throwing a ball without weight or mass. Therefore in the beginning the slingers hand can reach even more velocity as a baseballers hand (perhaps up to 15 % faster). 
First when the slingers ball reach the sling-circles south-point (respectivly the southern zone of the slinging-circle) the ball began to drag against hands move.

... and now I will draw this special kind of moving in 24 "steps" (means as much as "frames") to show what happens in one half of a round (what is 1/6 second only). extensionextensionextension
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2017 at 5:54am by Apex-apoc »  

Image_P-01-B.png (78 KB | 36 )
Image_P-01-B.png

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #27 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 12:36pm

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 9:42am:
JudoP wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:42am:
assuming the red line is the arm.

Ähm ... not really. The arm isn't drawn here, but the red line nevertheless is the radius of the hands motion-circle. But the middelpoint of this circle is neither the schoulder nor the ellbow and therefore the red line can not be the arm, although similar to this.

Let's say it's the "forearm" (at the most).

I'm not really sure where it fits in your model exactly then. Maybe the 28 degrees figure is more useful for non-simple arm positions, as the 36 seems to be referencing something a little abstract.

If you look at the trebuchet diagram on page 1 the lead angle would be the (acute) angle between the solid arm and the line of the sling part.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #28 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 12:16pm

timpa wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 12:36pm:
(But I was wondering if I would make a tutorial throwing of pirouette.)

I would love a pirouette tutorial. I'm trying to get good with long slings but I can only match the range of my 30-35'' ones.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #29 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 12:41pm

I'm far too nervous to use pirouette. I just hate the idea of throwing in the completely wrong direction. With all other styles I can basically send it out the way my body is facing. Spinning around... I would really have to be in an empty field with no-one and nothing around me for at least 400m.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick)