Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bow wood moisture meter? (Read 954 times)
johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

bow wood moisture meter?
Aug 15th, 2017 at 4:08am

i want to measure the moisture levels of some staves /logs.
i think this years summer may have removed too much moisture out and i'm afraid of brittleness.
so has any of you used moisture meter? how accurate can it be ?(at high and low moisture levels...)
do you suggest any quality product?

how can i possibly raise moisture levels of staves to normal without any problems that may come with it(warping, twisting,splitting)

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: bow wood moisture meter?
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:08pm

Every wood type is different. I worry more about twisting, warping and splitting while drying, not the reverse. If its straight while dry it should rehydrate straight as well.

I dont have experience with moisture meters. Never needed them. Of all the tools you can blow money on in this hobby, thats about the last I would think of. They are useful for certain areas, such as research and if you are going professional and feel the need to cover every base, but they arent needed for making a bow. Expect a lot of differing opinions on any bow making subject, but thats been my experience.

So leaving that aside heres what I do and its always served me well. If you have wood that you are concerned may be too dry, take the stave down to floor tiller state and leave it in your house for a week or so. At that point the limbs will be thin enough that it can become reaccustomed to the enviorment fairly quickly.

You can also take off a good size splinter and shave it into a rough bow shape. If it breaks with a mild bend, thats a problem.

If you have an accurate digital scale you can weigh the floor tillered bow as soon as you bring it in and then continue weighing it for the next week or two. It might gain a little weight if the bow wood was in fact bone dry. This indicates the MC rising. Make sure to always store a bow stave or blank horizontal as well.

All that being said, Ive lived and made bows in some pretty hot places. My habit is to work a bow a bit and then bring it in the house and let it sit when not actually working it. I might work on 3 different bows at a time so maybe they have more time to rest in the house and be stable moisture-wise. To be honest, Ive never had a bow break from being too dry except when Ive accidentally scorched it during bending or tempering. Which has nothing to do with summer temps.

Lastly, sometimes a piece of wood with a flaw will be more tempermental to slightly lower MC. Or perhaps its a lighter SG wood. All of these things work together. I also tend to favor heavier woods, though Ive used light somewhat. All these might be factors in my experience. But like Ive said, I have personally not had that issue and I think its pretty easy to avoid by doing the above.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:20pm

I have basically no experience in this area so please feel free to ignore this but I have heard that the moisture meters also are only really a very rough guide. They might give fairly accurate reading for the surface of a piece of wood but don't tell you so much about what's going on deep inside the wood.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:43pm

How did the ancients ever manage to make a bow with just a sharp rock?   Grin

Why do you think the wood is too dry?

What kind of wood are you working with?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)