Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blacksmith made netting needle (Read 982 times)
asemery
Funditor

Blacksmith made netting needle
Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:32am

I have a netting needle (top) that I have been using for years for fine mesh net making.  I bought it many years ago at a New England maritime museum.  It is useful but it always looked too machine made to me. 
   At the Goschenhoppen Folk Festival (where I display my Pa Dutch fishing nets) this past weekend I found a blacksmith who said he could copy the needle.  He rummaged in his junk box and found a coil of wire that he straightened on his anvil and cut it to length with a chisel.
   I wish I could have watched him do his work but I had to get back to my "fish nets" display.
   Less than an hour later He showed up at my stand with his creation (bottom).  It was better looking than I had hoped.  It has none of the stamped out looks of the original.  I gave him a large onion/potato storage bag i had made.  We were both pleased with the exchange.

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Blacksmith made netting needle
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 4:59pm

That looks awesome,I want to branch out eventually and do more general blacksmithing. I just do blade smiting now.  How do you use it?

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 11:46pm

vetryan15 wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 4:59pm:
That looks awesome,I want to branch out eventually and do more general blacksmithing. I just do blade smiting now.  How do you use it?

The needle has to be able to pass through the triangular cross section of each square of the net.  I need a narrow needle to make the small mesh funnel of minnow traps like this

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 1:40pm

That Is awesome,  do u have a youtube channel ? And tutorials. I would love to learn tgat

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:26pm

vetryan15 wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 1:40pm:
That Is awesome,  do u have a youtube channel ? And tutorials. I would love to learn tgat

Agreed.

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 7:17pm

Morphy wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:26pm:
vetryan15 wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 1:40pm:

Agreed.

I have written instructions that can be found at the "nets and net making" section of the
pineapple knot forum
Scroll down to find instructions.
I am in the process of rescuing my photos from Photobucket which no longer allows third party posting.  Bear with me.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 8:41am

Thanks

IP Logged

DesertWalker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Cave Creek, AZ
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 10:56am

Interesting. Nice net work. Blacksmithing is really interesting and fun to do. I took a blacksmithing and a blade smithing class a few summers back. We had to do it at night because it was so damn hot in the day time. Though even at night it was still around 90%. So add a forge to the mix and you still sweat like crazy. Unfortunately I live in a naborhood with an HOA right now, so I can't practice metal work.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris)