Send Topic Print
New Guy -- (Read 1374 times)
NEXTGEN
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

NEW YORK
New Guy --
Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:12pm

HI, so how did I get into slinging,  ( never knew it had a name).    Well grew up in  " Da Bronx " and  hung out with tough kids. I was in young  early teens.    Lived across from a NY Public Library, in  bad weather great place to actually learn things.  Cartoons and weapons, among other things.  Came across a book show drawings of Greeks using slings.   Detailed drawings,  that only showed wrist loops. Never knew about finger loops, till I found this fourm 50 years later.  We made our first slings out of leather shoe laces and leather pouches.   Took them to the local school yard and used the Concrete hand ball court wall as our target.  velocity  and range was all we know.  The windows to the 5 story school were a problem to break by throwing rocks by hand seeing they got smart and put up chicken wire screens on the first 4 floors.   Well we now  had advanced technology - from ancient   Greeks.   No exactly accurate slingers,  but to our amazement our first shots went over the roof!!!!  Off to the NY Botanical  Gardens and it acres of woods and lakes.   Though the years once  in a while I pulled out my sling and blow peoples minds as to the range.

Moved 35 miles north of NYC near the Hudson River and I live on a mile long lake 50 feet from my home  were I practice.   Have been at Youtube and Reading this NG.  Have a lot to learn.
I am Industrial designer, wrote the book on putting Porsche Engines in VW bugs, my design  work is in the Elevator Industry on buildings like the late World Trade Center - Twin  Towers, Empire State Bldg.  Chrysler Bldg.
Take my Porsche Powered Bug an use elevator motors to move Scorpion's claws and Stinger  and Dragon Bug
NY Halloween parade and won $1000
https://www.google.com/search?q=joe+cali+scorpion&oq=joe+cali+scorpion&aqs=chrom...

https://www.google.com/search?q=joe+cali+scorpion&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=...

So will be posting to learn slinging.

Joe Cali
www.nextgen-usa.com
Industrial Designer
Classic VW engine conversions.
Mechanical Electronic - Elevator Industry.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: New Guy --
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:18pm

my family is in Ossining but it's closer to Tarrytown. Welcome to the Looney Bin.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

NEXTGEN
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

NEW YORK
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 9:16pm

Hi,  Ossining a stones throw away!!!  Serious,  I live in Congers, NY a 1/2 mile from Rockland Lake.  The photos were taken  in Nyack during there Halloween parade.   My wife and I walk the river on the Rockland side  twice a week  3 miles with Hook Mountain on our left,  the Hudson and Ossining on my right.

Ok first question, I though a slings length is  determined by  persons height. I am  5-8 and I made my slings from my arm hanging down to just about 3 -4 "off the ground.
Now I read Shorter is more accurate and longer is for distance.   A wonder  I have not killed anyone yet.

Joe Cali
www.nextgen-usa.com
Industrial Designer

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:17am

Well I would say that it's both. Height can often fattening maximum length of sling you can handle but I have a wide range of different length slings from really stupidly long slings to very short ones that you can only really do a few styles with. Also welcome!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 8:02am

Also a sling hanging 3-4 inches off the gorund - is a fairly short slig for your height.
I tend to make them so they only just clear the ground.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NEXTGEN
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

NEW YORK
Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 3:03pm

I rechecked  and readjusted to 1" off the ground.  Easy seeing It was not that much off and  I had the extra Paracord hanging   off my wrist loop.   

May test it tonight on the Hudson River better than breaking a window on my lake house.

Thanks for the reply's.

Joe Cali
www.nextgen-usa.com
Industrial Designer

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:18pm

Hi, NEXTGEN;
   Glad to have you aboard.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 9:10am

Greetings from Texas NEXTGEN. Sounds like you have wide ranging intrests. Looking forward to reading your posts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick)