Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Horn Tips (Read 1154 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Horn Tips
Aug 7th, 2017 at 3:52pm

I really loved Jaegoor's sling with an antler (or was it horn?) handle rather than a retention loop so made my own with some antler I had. I still really like it but... I think I can do better.

I've been watching a lot of videos on bow-making and found out it's possible to get horn tips for bows really pretty cheap off eBay. Perfect! They're pretty much perfect size (well for my tiny hands anyway (yes I do have tiny hands, smaller than my girlfriend's)) and they look darn pretty. Now the problem is how I should make the sling and what to make it out of. I don't really want to do another cotton string one as for one I don't think the white string will go that well with it.

So what materials would you guys suggest? I'm thinking it can't really be paracord as it will be too thick and bulky, that is unless I drill through the horn. I'd prefer to avoid drilling it as it'll be dangerous as I don't have a bench vise and really difficult generally. I have the black serving string I've used for other slings and it's a really great material but because it's so thin I have to add a lot of threads together to even get close to usable cord so that will take FOREVER.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:54am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Antler Horn Tips
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:15pm

Those tips (toggles)  look nice! I would try one on a natural fiber sling like hemp, jute or maybe dyed cotton  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 7:37pm

Otter, maybe its just me but using synthetic serving string on such a beautiful natural material seems like blasphemy. If it was me I would go with all natural. Throw in some leather, maybe an apache style and you have a primal looking sling. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:25pm

How long are those tips?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:52am

I have to say I agree with the all natural idea. I've been looking at the sling JudoP made me and I'm thinking of basically making the same thing but with one of these. I'll just need to get hold of the materials.

They're all 10cm (roughly). I've already tried slipping other slings over them and doing stone practice throws and I think they are basically the perfect size. I really hope I can do them justice because they are beautiful.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Horn Tips
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:22am

The cords may tend to slip on the tips. I would cut a groove where you want the cord and slip them into it.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 9:30am

Yeah that's what I did with the antler one. I just hope I don't slip with the file and ruin the polish on them.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 1:20pm

200, then 400, finish off with 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper.  Put a coat of wax and the finish will be like it is now.

As far as cutting your groove, put a pencil line on it, carefully and lightly go over the line with a triangular file.  Repeat until you have a good groove.  Then finish the groove with a round file.  The round file is for sharpening the teeth of chain saws and has a very fine cut.  All you want to do is round the bottom of the cut.

Mostly, take your time.

And some form of masking tape is your friend.  Don't use a tape with a powerful adhesive, it may destroy the finish when you peel it off.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:06pm

Thanks for the tips! I want to get better with sanding and finishing generally. The problem is that good finishes require patience Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 4:10pm

20m of 1.5mm thick hemp string is on it's way! I'm really going to be putting my all into this sling. I've got plenty of functional slings but I want a fancy one Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:46pm

Speaking of horns, Jaegoor made a staff sling with a horn release that is absolutely killer.  Perhaps he'd be kind enough to post a picture of it again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner)