Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi (again) from Austin! (Read 1252 times)
cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Hi (again) from Austin!
Aug 6th, 2017 at 4:53pm

I'm not new here, but I took a bit of a break from this place after breaking my arm and I haven't really posted since.

So, I thought I'd re-introduce myself.

I've been slinging for a few years -- mostly apache, but I recently switched to figure 8. It's easier on my shoulder. I've gotten a lot better now -- I'm still working on vertical accuracy, but my lateral accuracy is pretty good.

I recently braided myself two new slings -- a 24" woven pouch one made from hemp with cords around 2mm thick and a 28" sisal one with a split pouch.

As a side project, I've been extracting some yucca fibers to make another sling.

I do a lot of gardening, reading, and hiking. I've got a big collection of carnivorous plants -- which is where my username comes from.

I may pop around in random places here.

I think I may also make a tennis ball sling to bring back to college with me.

Thanks for reading and keeping this place great!

(By the way, what happened to the seprate tutorial section here? Did they all get moved into threads on the forum?)

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Hi (again) from Austin!
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 5:51pm

Welcome from down under .
I threw Apache for over a year and found the same thing . The realease and projectile weight effect the vertical aim. Horizontal aim much easier to grasp.
I also sling short slings , used a 24 inch for most of my slinging days but resently retired it and pulled all the sag out of pouch and now it's 27inch . A very comfortable length for me and the styles I throw.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 8:47am

Welcome back cpman. Im in Houston. I think we may have at least a few more Texans on here as well. I would love to hear more about your carnivorus plants someday. Dont be a stranger.

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:18pm

Cool!

Thanks for the nice re-welcome!

I think the biggest reason my vertical aim is off is because of my recent switch in slings -- both of my new ones release a lot faster than my old one did. At least my shots more or less go where I want them to -- just a bit high or low. It probably doesn't help that I usually sling from a hill at things below me...

I'm not surprised that there are more Texans on here, but I won't be back here for too long because I go to school in Iowa.

I'm kind of peeved that I refused to try a split pouch sling until a few days ago. They're wonderful. I did slinging for a few years, and didn't even bother trying one. I'm surprised at how easily I can throw different sized rocks -- even really small ones.

My carnivorous plant collection is pretty extensive -- I've grown them for almost a decade now! I've got a bunch of flytraps, a couple Nepenthes, Cephalotus, and a handful of other stuff. My flytraps have been suffering from the heat, but aside from that, they're doing great. I harvested some seeds from them this year, and have a nice batch of seedlings going.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 6:42pm

I'm a big fan of the split pouch . Easy braid and good results.
Some other people give enough bad names.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 10:47am

tutorials and other website sections got virussed - haven't fixed it yet.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:08am

Welcome back, cpman;
    I'm glad you are feeling good enough to sling again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)