Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Issues with the pirouette style (Read 1175 times)
Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Issues with the pirouette style
Aug 5th, 2017 at 10:08pm

Hey guys, i've been wanting to get back into slinging pirouette but in past experiences my shoulder hasn't really been able to take it, any tips or ideas on how to solve this?

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Re: Issues with the pirouette style
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 1:20pm

I don't know the details so I can't think of anything except learn how to warm up well, and exercise your shoulders (rows, pullups).
Mind sharing some more info? I'll see if I can help somehow.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 1:32am

I definitely should've added a link to show the style in my first post, but here's the link: https://youtu.be/JSEqUMUzbZo
The style seems to pull my shoulder sort of backwards like a lever so after a small amount of slinging my shoulder will start to hurt similar to pulling a muscle. It could just be because I'm still new to the style so my shoulder hasn't warmed up to the motion yet but i really don't know. That isn't much but hopefully that cleared up some of it  Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:14am

There are a couple potentially easy fixes when your throwing style is causing too much strain. A. Use a lighter stone. B. Use a longer sling. C. Figure out what you're doing wrong and fix it. D. Stop using that style.

Not all throwing styles cause pain because there is too much resistance. Some times the particular movement is too hard on your joints in which case longer slings and lighter stones will not help.

On the other hand I have one throw that seems to stress a little used muscle in my forearm. (Little used except for this one throw which excercises it quite a bit.)  Whenever I stop slinging for a good amount of time I have to sort of ease back into it. Too much at once can cause issues.

If it really is overstraining a muscle and not the joint itself you could potentially slowly build it up by only slinging a little at a time until the pain is gone.

I am not a doctor though. Be careful and unless you are talking to your own PCP take everything with a grain of salt.

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 3:23am

I'm in no position to give medical advice. You best ask a physiotherapist. But I have some understanding of sport injuries from two years of learning gymnastics.

This can strain your anterior deltoid muscle (or rotator cuff). It stretches your shoulder to the end range of motion and puts force on it. You have to do a warm up, like before any strength exercise.
If nothing else, at least do various arm circles, elbow circles, "dry-fire" without a stone and do this with your sling:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyW5jGGxoZk[/url]
You can see how it prepares the shoulder for the backward lever pull you described.

When the throw starts hurting, stop doing it. It's injured already. Pushing over pain will not build it up! It will make it worse. It could be that, for example, it would heal in three days. But if you continue and do another few throws ignoring the pain, the shoulder won't heal fully in a week. Then, if you're too impatient and throw again next weekend, the annoying pain could come back on the first throw. When this happens, you realise you crappity smacked up. And that you won't sling pain-free for another few weeks, unless you finally give it a generous rest.

I've had this exact story happen with small wrist strains, and a lower back muscle overused by torso rotation when slinging.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 11:17am

i read somewhere that everytime you participate in a new activity  you become sore , even very fit people/athletes will become sore if they try something new

i'm trying to teach my left to do pirouette ....
first day i went hard with power and with bad follow through which caused pain on back and shoulder muscles
after 2 days it was good to sling again but this time i focused on technique and took it slow

i think that's the best way to approach this, take it slow focus on technique and then you can get a higher tempo and a more powerful throw.

i use timpa's style which i think looks like discus throw technique
it has a more defined footwork than that in the video you linked

when i turn around i prefer to not let my throwing arm go to far back or internaly rotate at the shoulder,

i think it's better to hold it still with the chest muscles or let it rotate externally by a little,

but when i get better i believe it would add power to let the throwing arm go back  (which we could call it loading like "scap loading" in pitching)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 11:41am

there's actually no power to be gained from a one armed pirouette.

A sidearm with windup behind you has a lot more power as it lets you move the sling considerably faster.

You can spin  a by itself much faster than you can physically turn on the spot. If you have the technique to take that spin speed into the throw, then you generate a lot more power than is possible through a pirouette.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:32pm

I pretty much only use pirouette. Firstly, because that's how I learned to sling baseballs with LONGER slings with my Dad. And as I'm aging I'm finding it hurts my inner elbow to do otherwise. Pirouette was better for HEAVY bombardment.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 1:42pm

Thanks for all the advice, ill try and go through and reply to everything here:
Morphy & WojtekimbieR: I'm going to try out some new stretches that WojtekimbieR linked i certainly hope they'll help.
Parmenion: Part of me thought that the pain could be just because i'm new to the style and what you said made a lot of sense so i'll be sure to keep my shoulder in check.
Curious Aardvark: Yeah, i feel like all styles are about equal power-wise, i've just always wanted to learn how to sling pirouette accurately.
Thank you all for your great answers, i feel like i'll be able to figure out how to solve the pain once i go and sling  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris)