Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What style is this?? (Read 2011 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: What style is this??
Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 10:16am

I'm with Mr Aardvark here: the path is exactly that of a "Byzantine" throw: starts behind the body, launches into one rotation that leads to release (on the completion of the one rotation).

On Mr Mersa's vid, the rotation is behind the body rather than above the head, and the sling is longer than on the video which I linked to, but that is a minimal difference: the starting point is the same, and from there there is no other "flight path" solution: you can't go straight into the throw, so the sling describes one rotation to build up tension and speed-- it's the minimum and only solution for the throw.

One might develop a notation for sling paths to make this sort of thing clear.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 6:32pm

So any single rotation realease is Byzantine??
So above my head if I spin it once Byzantine? Twice or more heli.
Side of body once still Byzantine more than once underarm?
And behind me once Byzantine more than once ......?

Maybe I need to show another angle or try get slow motion.

For me I already throw Byzantine and this uses a different technique. Feels different throws different looks different.
Should be a different name.

Wonder what you guys will call the other style I'm working on I'll get onto posting Pics once I get time.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #17 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 6:47am

Yes, my understanding would be that Byz is hanging start from behind (=1/2 rotation) following by single rotation and release. Anything else is multi-rotation segueing into the release (the distinctions, helicopter, side-arm, etc, seem to me not hugely important); except for underarm, which has weaker release due to wrist positioning.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 7:09am

what thearos says.

One of the advantages of a byzantine throw is that you can use it for heavy missile distance throwing with minimal joint impact.

The initial pull from behind the body accelerates into the single rotation and waist driven release. There is minimal elbow strain, so great for larger ammo. 

The video you posted looks identical to byzantine to me.

Bear in mind there are always individual varaiations with any throw or style and all categories are only loosesly connected.

People like giving things labels,  Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 7:27am

Right got it. Bit of a greenish blue , blueish green thing.
There's a variation there but not enough for a new colour and each colour has multiple shades.

The other style I was going to show is what I call a southpaw Apache. Standing right hand froward right hand throw hold sling with pouch on left of face and hand above head flick wrist back and whip down foward into Apache , not powerful but very good close range accuracy, thinking sling golf putting.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #20 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 7:52am

I must try what Mr Aardvark advises for heavy ammo, I've strained my elbow shooting big stones lately

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker)