Send Topic Print
What style is this?? (Read 2010 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
What style is this??
Aug 5th, 2017 at 8:35pm

Any one know what the name of this style is ??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: What style is this??
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 9:02pm

Just a variation of the figure-8.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 9:42pm

I only throw the sling upwards then forwards. I don't think it has the same rotations as a figure 8?
No drop either.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 9:44pm

Another short video

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 9:57pm

The figure 8 encompasses quite a few variations. But it seems to be starting at one shoulder and transitioning to the opposite shoulder before pulling in to the pitch.  Might want to see what other members say. To me it looks like a variation of the figure 8.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 10:57pm

Sequence

image_028.jpeg (749 KB | 20 )
image_028.jpeg
image_029.jpeg (766 KB | 19 )
image_029.jpeg
image_030.jpeg (767 KB | 27 )
image_030.jpeg
image_031.jpeg (768 KB | 18 )
image_031.jpeg
image_032.jpeg (778 KB | 22 )
image_032.jpeg

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 10:24am

I don't think it's a fig-8. Some people call that style Byzantine (for some reason): starts with sling hanging (hand prontated or not), moves to a single rotation, finishes with overhand release.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 5:59pm

I'm not confident enough with the names of the styles to really know but I thought that Byzantine was a over head style with a side arm finish same singe rotation realease.

If so I feel like this styles somewhere between a Byzantine and a Figure 8. Thought it was a weird one but getting pretty decent power and accuracy only a few days in.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 3:45am

I don't think it has anything of fig-8, with starts in front and has no element of rotation, just a set-up for the final release. Your sling path is the same as here, no ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHV2WYdfTI

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:24am

I've had a play with an empty sling and I'd say it depends how you look at it as it has similarities to both.

The direction of the initial swing is in a different direction to a byzantine throw. Instead of swinging outwards and round to your front (as in a sort of sidearm throwing motion), the initial swing is upwards and behind you (like throwing a backpack over your shoulders).

If you throw fig-8 there are effectively 3 'swings'- each feeding into the next. First is the drop and swing backwards under you, second is when it swings back round behind you and third is the overarm launch.

What you are doing here is shortcutting the first stage of fig 8 and going straight to the second swing- where it rotates behind you into launching position. For this reason the throw is essentially fig 8 only without the first swing.

Another way you could look at it is the throw is like a byzantine in action but with a different direction. Both have a two stage rotation which feels similar and start from a hanging position. The traditional rotates upwards and sideways whilst your version rotates round behind then forwards.

I would probably call it a 'short fig-8' or 'hanging fig 8 variation' OR you could call it something like 'inversed byzantine' or 'reverse byzantine'.

I might even lean towards the latter since the throw arguably doesn't really draw a fig 8 anymore, even if the throwing direction is much closer to a fig 8 than a standard byzantine.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 6:06am

Fig....6?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 6:54am

IT's what's called: Byzantine.

No idea why or who coined the name - but that's what it is Smiley

Good simple throw for distance.

And can you PLEASE get a bloody youtube account and resize your pictures before uploading.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 7:05am

@Thearos no not the same as that video , that video shows what I would call a Byzantine but again I don't know names hence my first question.

@Judop you seem to get the actions and the feel I'm trying to show. It's been a development I've worked on over the past few weeks. Seems to like a lighter stone than my other styles .
Not sure it's a style I have rights to name until more members confirm its not just some well known style.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 8:31am

Judop I think explained it well. Sometimes a throw has elements from different throws in it. Additionally not all figure 8's start with a drop. For me the crux of the figure 8 is switching from sling side  to the other than back with the switch being somewhat vertical. Although the actual pitch itself could be horizontal. 

Granted I cant see whats going on very well. Maybe you guys are getting a clearer picture of it.  I'm pretty sure it's not a pirouette at least.  Wink Hope that narrows it down.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 9:05am

Yeah thanks guys.
Seeing as I'm pretty confident on what Byzantine is now and I throw both figure 8 and Byzantine.
It's a different style somewhat mixed like judop explained.
Anyone going to give it a try?
Seems to put a good amount of spin on the rocks.
Anyone throw this way already?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick)