Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I think I must be missing something important here. (Read 1023 times)
Scrufus
Novicius

Being Mediocre!

Northern California
I think I must be missing something important here.
Jul 31st, 2017 at 6:41pm

I've owned a sling for maybe 4 days now. From what I've experienced so far, I cannot for the life of me sling a rock with any sort of overhand gesture. I've managed to get some results from a few underhand throws, but that's pretty much it. Whenever I try to do something that involves releasing overhand (such as the figure-8 method), the stone lacks the amount of power and accuracy that I can achieve through other throwing methods. As for the figure-8 method alone, I can't even figure out how I'm supposed to release the knot without twisting my arm in a very unnatural fashion.

Currently I'm most satisfied with this sort of over-head-side-throw (sorry, I don't know the terminology). The most powerful throw my weak-ass little body can mutter is a full or half body spin while slinging over-head, but this method lacks accuracy.

For further reference, I'm right-handed and I hold the loop half-way down my middle finger. I grip the knot somewhat firmly with my thumb and the side of the tip of my index finger. Also, I understand that the sling is supposed to be approximately wing-span length, but mine falls about 6-8" short.

I feel like I'm missing something here, so I wondered if you pros can point it out.

toodles~~

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: I think I must be missing something important here.
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:41pm

Your 4 days in give it time.
Different styles will feel more natural to each person and each style will have variables in power and accuracy.
The rocks you use will be variable.

As for a "overhand" throw, Apache style is really the only way I feel that previous throwing skills (throwing a tennis ball) effect the power and accuracy.
All other styles have much more tecnique involved in achieving max power and accuracy this goes for non over hand styles as well.

I started slinging a little over a year ago and slung apache style for atleast 11 months . For me it's a increase in power to a normal throw at a sacrifice to accuracy. I now throw in multiple styles depending on what I'm doing.

What are you trying to achieve throwing overhand?
Transfer of previous skills (muscle memory) ??
Are you asking how to throw a certain style better???

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 9:23pm

You have nothing to worry about. It will all come with time and practice. The figure-8 especially can be a little weird at first. Look up "Brian Grubbs figure-8" on youtube for a good tutorial on it.

For me the Apache was by far the most difficult to learn. It felt so unnatural after years of other throws. Sometimes it can help to slow throws down to half speed. Youtube is also a good resource for double checking a particular throwing style. Lastly, I wouldnt worry about your sling length not being an exact length. Really anything between 24" and 40" inches will work fine until you have enough experience to decide what works best for you. Good luck.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 5:39am

I've been singing somewhat consistently for about 3 or 4 years and it was only this year I worked out how to do fig 8. It's still probably my least accurate style. Around a week ago I finally got the hang of sidearm. A good tip is to practice a few times with nothing in the pouch. Try and get your arm used to the movements. Also it's important to remember everyone has favourites and preferences so if you can't do all the styles, do one or two well Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 7:27am

I second the Brian Grubbs fig-8 video. After watching that and practicing the action with an empty sling I got it pretty easily. It's tough to get your head round but when you've done it once (properly) it's easy.

I've found standard overarm (apache) to be quite an unnatural sling throw, fig-8 is the king of overarm throws for me. A lot more power and more smoothness as you actually have a proper windup. I'd probably struggle for 100m with apache yet with fig-8 I can send rocks far out of sight.

If you can't do fig-8 then underarm and sidearm styles have good power too.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:23pm

sounds like your biggest problem is the length of your sling.

For a beginner. If you stand still with your arm by your side while holding the sling it should be about an inch off the ground.

Most of the overhand throws use the sling's momentum to build power and they just plain don't work with short slings.

Also underhand is the best to learn with, as you should learn to use the sling to throw the stone not your arm.
But again you'll need longer sling.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 6:29am

Everything takes time. Power and accuracy will come as you perfect the technique. Also, don't be afraid to experiment with your own style. It has to feel right to you, or it won't work. Kind of a zen thing.
Also, try  not to overthink the process. I did that when I started. I was focusing on having everything perfect, and that leads to hesitation.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 1:32pm

Sounds like a problem with slack. David Morningstar's advice is that the throwing sequence starts a lot earlier than people usually realize: you've got to "surprise the stone"

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 6:36pm

Like everybody else has said, you've only done it for four days. I've been slinging on and off for something like four years, and I still sometimes have issues.

You don't have to do an overhand style if you don't want to. I've pretty much only done overhand styles, and in my opinion, the easiest to learn is apache. Like others have said, the Brian Grubbs figure 8 video is really good.

Also, don't push yourself too hard. It's easy to hurt yourself, and that's no fun.

What is important at this stage isn't so much accuracy or power -- it is learning the motions. It can be useful to just swing around the sling empty to get more used to the feel of it. Pick one style to learn and stick with it until it feels fluid and natural. Don't confuse yourself by trying to learn multiple styles at once. 

slingbadger wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 6:29am:
Also, try  not to overthink the process. I did that when I started. I was focusing on having everything perfect, and that leads to hesitation.

This is pretty crucial. I'm way more accurate if I don't think about it. You should have learned the proper motions first though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)