Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Testing Results for Braided Apache Sling (Read 486 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Testing Results for Braided Apache Sling
Jul 31st, 2017 at 4:49pm

I got this really beautiful sling from JudoP not too long ago and (after having to wait to go to England to get my hands on it) I've (finally) given it a full testing. I went down to Swanage in Dorset with my family for a few days, staying at a relative's place, and luckily had the perfect test range just outside. A fairly steeply banked driveway with a nice high wall. Thanks to the the slope the ammo was self-returning Cheesy Because I didn't want to ruin any walls, I had to use a tennis ball for ammo which was a bit of a learning experience as I've never used tennis balls before. Still, after getting the feel of it, I'm definitely a convert and I have to say this sling really made it easy. I've tried it with stones down on the beach as well and that too was problem-free.

When it came to style, after a lot of practicing, I found Fig 8 and sidearm were the most comfortable and gave the best accuracy which was funny because I only really got the hang of Fig 8 a few months ago and I've never been able to do side arm. I've now realised my problem was with the wind up rotations. Once I took them out and just did a single wind up I was throwing pretty consistently and fairly accurately. Anyone else find this? I always felt unsure of exactly when to go into the throw so would second guess and the throw would end up under-powered. I'm glad I've cracked that now as I also found out side arm is a great style to skim rocks with Cheesy

But anyway, back to the sling. It's probably one of my nicest looking slings now and I just love the feel of it. It's a really good weight and is really fun to sling with. It's also great that I now have a sling that can easily and comfortably throw tennis balls. It should make practicing here in the city (well, near the city) a bit less intimidating to passersby. I'm always worried I'm going to get a tap on the shoulder from one of our friends in blue...

In conclusion, it's definitely a new favourite Smiley

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Testing Results for Braided Apache Sling
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:22pm

I love Apaches and thats definitely a beautiful sling. Nice work Judo!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Testing Results for Braided Apache Sling
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 7:15am

Thank you so much Kick! I'm glad you're really enjoying it. I never actually got to test it myself so relieved that it works well.

I also find sidearm from a rotating sling a bit more difficult, What really helped me was to actually slow down the rotations as you can time the throwing action better. That and making sure the rotation is a bit 'horizontal' and more behind you than to your side- if that makes sense.

Fig-8 is still my favourite. Takes me about 30 mins throwing to get my shoulder warmed up to it, but it's amazing after that for power and accuracy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick)