Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ultra heavy sling (Read 2027 times)
ForgottenBeast
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Ultra heavy sling
Jul 31st, 2017 at 5:05am

After spending a week in Scotland and getting acquainted with it's lovely beaches (and GREAT slinging rocks) I started pondering on a new sling project.

Some of you might recall my first sling (simple basket paracord sling, throws rocks up to egg size) and my fugly sling (throws anything from tennis ball to half brick). Besides the great training I got (having round, smooth rocks really improved my accuracy, even allowed me to see where I needed to progress the most, eg late release for overhand when aiming at low targets) It got me thinking about the following:

"What if I could transform into a (small) human trebuchet?"

Let me explain: when I gave my fugly sling a try I almost seriously crappity smacked up both my elbow and my shoulder. To get a nice 45° trajectory without inflicting crippling torque on my arm I had to do full arm underhand swings. Still there were even bigger rocks around and it was obvious that I'd need an even bigger pouch and an even greater sling length if I wanted to throw them at any significative speed.

I decided to put on my to do list the following sling manufacture task:
- split pouch, from brick to double brick sized amo
- sling length: at least a meter

But then I wondered, HOW am I going to use that monster?
So here I am, does anyone here have any experience/historical data regarding ultra heavy slings for this kind of ammo?

I thought about using it by spinning on myself (starting with most of the sling cord in my hand and releasing more as I gain speed) but I'm not sure it's the best way.

Can it be done? How?

Regards,

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Ultra heavy sling
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 5:36am

Well the short answer is: staff sling Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:00am

nah the short answer is make a big sling Smiley
old thread that concerns just that.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1297820958/30

split pouch and large irregularly shaped rocks = serious accident waiting to happen !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 10:12am

ForgottenBeast wrote on Jul 31st, 2017 at 5:05am:
I thought about using it by spinning on myself (starting with most of the sling cord in my hand and releasing more as I gain speed) but I'm not sure it's the best way.

you could try pirouette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HzzudOV7D0

but slinging heavy and big things is probably gonna take the fun out of it , too much time reloading and huge tiring  movements...

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 2:32am

Es gibt balearische Schleudere die werfen 500 bis 700 g . Das halte ich für eine Obergrenze. Selbst für eine Staffsling . Mehr Gewicht ist einfach Unsinn.  Verwenden sie einen Onaker oder eine Mann Blide.

DerPlan.JPG (31 KB | 24 )
DerPlan.JPG

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:26pm

we had achap sign up this week who said he was going to translate jaegoors posts.
where you at dude ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 5:01pm

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 5:13pm

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 9:08pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:26pm:
we had achap sign up this week who said he was going to translate jaegoors posts. where you at dude ?

You ment me? "Achap" like "a chap" or "one chap" Huh

No, sorry - I said to hold me "in the near of Jaegors posts (or threads)" perhaps to get some friendly HELP for translation of my german speech into english from Jaegor (if I ever should slide in such needs).

But "okay" - I turn that stick and try a translation. Jeagor wrote:

There were seen balearic slingers, used (? "able" ?) to throw stones with weights about 500 g up to 700 g. I keep this for the top of a limit (ment: "more isn't possible at free moved hands / arms by one single man) - even by using a staffsling. To handle higher masses / weights is simply non-sense. Take (instead of this / better) an Onaker or a "Mann Blide" (? wtf ?).

- end of message -

Sorry - I for myself never heard or read "Mann Blide" before.

But in the meanwhile i was looking for help by wikipedia (german version / article) and found there following informations (translated again into english by myself):

"Mann Blide" is a special form / type of "catapult" which is loaded up with "men" (but not to throwing men, of course, but to load up with "sling-power" or weight that consists in a small number of men ... to be able to "enforce & re-enforce" it in a very small time). Alternative names: "Tribock" or Tribok (Plural Triboke), also "Trebuchet" (frz. trébuchet, lat.: trabatium). Therefore up to 15 men jump into a free swinging "chest" or "cabine" to give that type of catapult its power to accelerate a single bullet very strong.

The simpel word "Blide" (from greece: "palida") instead means nothing else but "catapult". Palida or Blide may be related with the english verb "be-load" (compare the english noun: "lead" and "blood" or german "Last" / "Ladung" and "Blut" / "Blüte") and german: "Be-laden" likely "be-leidigen" (= offend - to throw "dirt" at somebody) or "be-lasten" (also related to eng.: "bless" = nhd.: "be-lassen").

(Wiki wrote: "gr.: palida = schleudern" or "gr.: palida = slinging", but etymological are those claims very "in-logical": That an "A" means "B" is simply absolutly impossible).

"Onaker" (also: "Onager") is that type of catapult which is enforced by winding up a bundle of ropes to move a large kind of "spun" very ruptly (explosively).

Now i hope these words sounds nearly "readable" in english ears too.  Lips Sealed .
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2017 at 10:53pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

ForgottenBeast
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 5:16am

Thanks for the amazing videos... It made me reconsider and think about making a good ol' fustibalus. I'd love to try and shoot it almost veritically down (such as in machiculations or just past crenelations).

I'm starting to understand why metal or clay ammunition was favored when available. Finding the perfect rock is hard and if you can just make hundreds of perfect ammunition befhorehand it does make your life a lot easier...

Still the influence of quality ammo does baffles me. It was way easier to time my release correctly with smooth, regular stones than with the usual crap I throw... It got me thinking about making precise mesurements.

Has anyone thrown an apparatus containing a gyroscope (such as an MPU6050 linked to an ESP8266 that wrote to an SD card/sent data via bluetooth while flying) using different projectile shapes?

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 5:37am

ForgottenBeast wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 5:16am:
Has anyone thrown an apparatus containing a gyroscope (such as an MPU6050 linked to an ESP8266 that wrote to an SD card/sent data via bluetooth while flying) using different projectile shapes?

what will be measured?

IP Logged

ForgottenBeast
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 6:43am

Well, keep in mind that it was just a random thought so it might be completely and utterly stupid.

I was thinking about measuring the acceleration during the whole throw while streaming the data or putting it someplace safe-ish since it's probable the whole apparatus will be destroyed on impact.

One could also measure the tumble of the projectile during flight.

If you create a small enough apparatus you could easily enough add some weight and put everything in a container with the right shape. A bit of hot glue to keep everything together and you have a way to test different shapes.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 11:54am

I can make the case for you - no problem.
If made from a flexible plastic or rubber filament - it would also survive impact easily and help cushion the bits inside.
Drop me a line and we can discuss it Smiley

Something to measure actual rpm of a slung missile would be very cool. 

Was going to make something similiar with a bbc microbit to test pouch speed. But david morningstar didn't write me a script.
Keeps saying how easy and quick it would be to write - but actual results, nada.

Man powered trebuchets !
never thought of that. great idea !

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 2:56pm

If you agree with the  thought. That the first sling was just a rock tied to a string then the first ultra heavy sling is the Olympic hammer throw

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:34pm

I mean at 16 pounds and 80 meters kinda a deadly weapon  the hammer

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris)