Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Everything about bow making (Read 2244 times)
Leon
Tiro

Sorry for the stupid questions,
i'm new here.

Wervershoof, the Netherlands
Everything about bow making
Jul 30th, 2017 at 4:59pm

a few questions for those who have made bows in the past:

what materials did you use?
how did they work?
how do you make arrowheads?
how do you make fletching?
does ducttape work for fletching?
how do i keep it cheap?

thanks Smiley

https://www.facebook.com/leon.degraaf.35  
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Everything about bow making
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 5:50pm

Are you just wanting a bow that works out of cheep materials or to craft your own bow using traditional techniques and finer materials.

i think cheesesteak option is a price of green wood with a string . Stick arrows duck tap flights ( done this and will work however duck tape can be heavy) . No arrow heads just sharpen stick and add tape for weight distribution.

Also seen a lot of tutorials on building higher powered bows out of pvc pipe. Should be a easy find on you tube.

As for building a real work of art . That's out of my skill set.
I tryed once only to break a limb as I drew the bow the first time. Pacience required

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Leon
Tiro

Sorry for the stupid questions,
i'm new here.

Wervershoof, the Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:02pm

yeah, pvc and fiberglass is indeed the thing im mostly looking into.

glad to hear duct tape works. im probably gonna make some arrowheads out of metal toh. i want to try and shoot some ducks with it or something.

https://www.facebook.com/leon.degraaf.35  
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:15pm

Ducks!!!
Lucky in Australia where I am ducks are protected most of the year and permits arnt the easiest to get.

I've always wanted to hunt ducks with my sling.

If your just in it for the fun of the build I'd say go for it but if you want a more accurate reliable humane bow just invest the $$$ in a cheep recurve bow.

Horses for courses but

People ask me why I don't just use a sling shot instead of a sling . Guess sometimes it's the journey not the destination.

We carry eletrical tape when we go bow shooting to on site repair flights and reflight old arrows we find . Works but not ideal

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:40pm

Boyers Bible vol. 1-4. Look up Poor mans bow on the net Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 5:31am

I've made a bow (Successfully? That's for others to decide...) out of a pair of cut-down cross-country ski's and a wooden riser (handle bit) I carved myself. There are again tutorials online on how to do it and you can see my progress on this forum if you search "ski bow". I still have some kinks in the design to work out and it STILL needs more linseed oil (I swear it's drinking it) but it at least looks like a bow Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 10:02am

i use wood.
pvc didn't work for me , that's because in my country  pvc pipes have different specifications  (thinner walls) ...

what i hate about bows is that they need arrows and for accuracy they need identical arrows.

i've made arrows with tape fletchings , wooden dowels for shafts , and simple target metal tips
they cost 1,5euros each + work .
don't forget you need to spine the arrow shafts so they are almost identical when flexing.(with a spine tester)

i suggest you try it to get a taste.

but in the future i would prefer to buy good arrows, pay double and skip the work Tongue

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 12:02pm

If all you care about is slinging arrows cheaply, pvc is the way to go. I am more of a traditionalist and I dont know how pvc bows compare to a good wooden bow but its cheap and fast.

Personally I just cant do it. I love wooden bows. They are well worth the effort. But it might fit your needs.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:21pm

I've not bothered making arrows so far. Best to know the bow works with good arrows before making your own. Easier to fix problems if you can be fairly sure it isn't the arrows.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:07pm

Primitive Archer.

If you have Canada geese in your area, they molt in late June/early July.  A little later in your area, due to you being further north. 

Put them in a freezer for two days, then take them out for three, then put them back in the freezer for a couple more days.  This kills the mites on the feathers.

I've built several, I have used Osage, Red Mulberry, Hickory, Ash and Hop Hornbeam.

An arrow works because it is air resistance at the rear and weight forward.  No tip or heavy fletching and the either fly screwy or lose stability after a distance.

I make functional bows.  Morphy makes works of art that shoot arrows.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 3:13am

Kick wrote on Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:21pm:
Best to know the bow works with good arrows before making your own. Easier to fix problems if you can be fairly sure it isn't the arrows.

i've been wondering since the first bow i made,  can a bow be inaccurate?no matter how badly it's made i think its only the arrows and the archer that cause inaccuracies.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 8:51am

I was thinking more just the construction of the bow. Mine is a good example because when I first tested it out with a brand new arrow... it was rubbish. The arrow went flying off to the left near sideways and had no power and made rather horrible noises. The problem was that I was stupid and made the arrow shelf FAR too small and at too much of a right angle so the arrow didn't smoothly glide over it but just bounce off it. I've now reduced the angle and made it a far wider gap so it should now actually function but I haven't had the time or space to test it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 11:31am

Thanks for the compliment Bill. I hear your flint knapping is second to none. I would love to see some of your work some day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)