Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reading Group (Read 1173 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reading Group
Jul 24th, 2017 at 11:51am

It seems like we have a lot of interest in culture and reading on this site. Would anyone be interested in selecting stories to read as a group to expand our minds? Im thinking it would need to be fairly short books/essays. I know we are all in different situations here. I am trying to juggle work, school and family but I feel like I have let my reading kind of falter. (Damn you internet.) Let me know what you guys think. It doesnt have to be Dostoyevsky, just something interesting we can discuss. Ideally something we can access online so we don't have to buy books.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Reading Group
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 7:58am

Maybe centered on short stories? Admittedly that's always been one of my favorite styles.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 9:59am

Yes, that would work. Or possibly a small chapter of a book, rather than the whole thing.

I wasn't sure anyone would be interested
in this so I started yesterday. I read part of Platos Apology, something by Thomas Paine on the nature of government which was pretty interesting in light of current events and then Battleground by Stephen King which was great.

If anyone is interested it is a two page short story. You can find it here: http://go2novels.com/battleground/page-1-2851/

Really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:08pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 9:39am

I'd be interested in participating in something like this.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 2:07pm

I posted Battlefront. If anyone wants to post a short story with a link, feel free. Im always up for a good read.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 2:57pm

i'm not sure what you are looking for but i'm gonna post something.

The Enchiridion, by Epictetus
read online:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/45109/45109-h/45109-h.htm

or other formats :https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45109

How to Live on 24 Hours a Day
by Arnold Bennett
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2274

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 12:15pm

I started reading The Enchiridion. Havent gotten very far. Been so busy. Good to learn more about the stoicism though.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 5:39pm

It might be fun/enlightening. I guess it depends on whether we can come up with a book or story that interests most of us.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:00pm

Im all ears, anyone who wants to can throw out a couple short stories.  I nominated Battlefront because its short and fairly interesting. The ending is pretty cool imo. Whatever comes to your head, if its fairly short Ill probably end up looking into it. What do you think guys? Ideas?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 6:33am

Anything by Marcus Aurelius, Cicero, or Seneca. If you want Christianity, CS Lewis and his brand of Christianity is great.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)