Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Good old times (Read 1488 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Good old times
Jul 10th, 2017 at 5:32pm

I have been cleaning out a little bit and throwing away old things. But guess what I found: One of the very first "functional" primitive weapons that I ever made!
It still shoots well up to ~20 meters.

What was your first functional primitive weapon that you made? Do you have any good memories to share?

pip.JPG (137 KB | 75 )
pip.JPG
pup.JPG (207 KB | 59 )
pup.JPG

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Good old times
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 5:41pm

Very probably a blowgun as well. I think it was at a birthday party of mine. We had these little pipes (small thin cylindrical metal pipes) that were used for some piece of furniture or who knows what. Well we found out some pieces from a board game fit in the pipes perfectly and would fly out at high speed when used as a blow gun. I think we spent much of that party inflicting painful welts on each other. To this day Im not sure how I made it through my childhood with both eyes intact.

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:34am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 1:54pm

Using broken sickle bar teeth as DIY shuriken with a little grinder profiling ... then my first sling (pouch too small)
which kept dropping my ammo (Too large a stone)

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Steven_M._Peffley
Tiro

Pennsylvania Coal Region
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:00pm

I used to steal my mom's heavy wire cloths hangers, break them into 8 - 9 inch lengths. Then I would hammer the ends flat; one would be shaped and sharpened (sometimes with barbs!) into a point. The other would get a notch for a nock. Add three paper fletches, waterproofed with nail polish. A yard stick and a rubberband for propulsion. Range comfortably over 150 feet. The second story bedroom window of a hated bully across the alley was festooned with darts.

If you kill them at a distance, you won't have to dance with them.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:28pm

A stick. 

Specifically, an ash, one end about as big as my three fingers,  stripped of bark and sharpened by a beaver on both ends, about a meter and a half long.  I could use it as a spear, dig with it, poke stuff with it, use it as a walking stick, a tent pole, a planting stick for punching holes in the ground for seeds and anything else I needed.  I kept that stick for years. Eventually, I went off and left it on a river bank.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:34am

I once made a chakram/throwing star thingie  from the sprocket wheel of a bike. I sharpened the cogs , and then sent the thing into a tree.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 8:08am

got a 3 foot length of seriously seasoned cherry that's at least 30 years old.

I mean define primitive weapon ?
I've been making dangerous things for as long as I can remember.
And hitting things with clubs for even longer Smiley

First complex things were probably the folding shuriken.
Catapults, been making them since I was  a very wee sprog.

My dad and I were always making something fairly lethal.
Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)