Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Twisted slings vs Braided slings and Bulletproof Technique (Read 2401 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Question about Twisted slings vs Braided slings and Bulletproof Technique
Jul 7th, 2017 at 1:26pm

So I've been slinging since December. Recently I've made a sling from retail rope, tying sort of a sheep shank knot for the pouch and weaving it. It's all one piece of three ply twisted rope (two counting the weaving for the pouch). I have soaked the sling in water for about 5 minutes and made it lose a bit of stiffness and memory. Yet sometimes it tangles and makes the shot awkward. Is the there a technique I should consider when using twisted rope? Yes Ardvark I know about your wider grip that is worth really trying later when I get the chance. I also made a paracord sling that had two strands twisted like rope for a friend with a pouch woven into the sort of sheepshank knot that was also in that particular sling. That one seems to be okay.

Unfortunately the photo posting thing doesn't make sense on mobile so I won't show any pictures at the moment. Undecided

I also have a difficult question: I've used Luis Pons technique that he presented on the History Channel, Swinging around three times, stretching the arm, and opening the hand. I've used it, also applying the knowledge that you never build up speed and that the sling is an extension of your arm. I worry still that if I release at an off-time I could shoot anywhere sideways. But mostly I was shooting in the direction I desired. But ever since I picked up that anxiety, I now have to make sure that my technique is bulletproof. Is there any advice I could have in making absolute sure the my technique is as safe as possibly can be? I like range and power, so accuracy isn't much of an issue for me. Also, I notice that if I use any sling with a pouch instead of a split (I've indeed braided some slings and found them to work great), that if I pick up certain rocks, namely large jagged or flat rocks, they tend to fall out, even when making balance and/or push checks. This happens sometimes with my sisal rope sling as mentioned before.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Question about Twisted slings vs Braided slings and Bulletproof Technique
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 2:52pm

Hi, TMS, and welcome;
    In regard to your first question, it's normal for braided slings to twist up after a few shots.  The rotation from your wind up causes this. You have to constantly untwist them. After a while it becomes automatic.
     When you're first learning to sling releasing at an off-time is a very real possibility.  It can happen to an experienced slinger also but fortunately not as often.  When I sling I make sure that there are no people, pets, or anything valuable in any direction, not just in the direction  I intend to aim.  Shots that fall out of your sling early don't travel as far as those that fire properly but I still like to leave a big safety circle around me... at least 100 yards.  Until you perfect your technique it would be safer to you and those around you if you used non-lethal ammo. Many of us like tennis balls.  In fact some of our most experienced slingers practice with them.  You'll have to make a bigger pouch to facilitate them or use a fairly large split pouch which can accommodate any sized ammo.
    Without knowing the size of your pouch and the rocks you're attempting to use it's difficult to answer your last question. Perhaps the rocks are too large for your pouch.  Making your pouch more deeply cupped will help it hold onto projectiles better.
    I hope this helps. Good luck and stay safe.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2017 at 6:00pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 4:17pm

Thanks, bro. I guess judging by this reply, it really comes down to practice and decent pouches. Smiley

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 5:04pm

I also should add that when I got that anxiety, it was more of what I call, "An Archer's Brain Fart." Which happened to me after several days after not being able to practice due to staying in a neighborhood for several days. I was really confident in my technique, confident enough to where I believed I was safe enough in demonstrating this talent. Then I sort of forgot the muscle memory and now I'm ironing out my kinks. I better try and do so soon, because I am going to a fantasy (namely Lord of the Rings) camp out with my brother in-law and I plan to go dressed as a slinger. So that should be fun.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 5:53pm

Sorry to bother, I have a new question. If I'm out in the woods and want to pick up something to use as non-lethal ammo, but I didn't have any tennis balls, and plus, why would I use those in the woods anyway? But what would I use, nuts, certain pine cones, or anything else?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 10:40pm

Usually pine cones and nuts don't have enough weight to them to really be that effective. It can be tricky in woodland to find suitable ammo.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 11:00pm

By tricky, do you mean that finding anything non-lethal with suitable weight in a woodland is a no-go? Well shucks, but the beauty of the wilderness is that you can practice without being a danger to anyone else but possibly maybe yourself, if you see a tree pull a, "Screw you!" and throw your ammo back at your nose. But I suppose a well timed dodge can prevent ricochet injury from a sling. In other words, gotta be a pro!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 8:53am

Oh well pine cones are ok if it's just throwing randomly in the woods. Finding something with actual weight that you can throw far with is something different Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 10:55am

Well thanks for the input, y'all! Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:48am

The first two months or so of my slinging  I used Apache Style, which of course requires no wind up. When I started experimenting with other styles I wasn't interested in accuracy or distance. I only wanted to get the motion and timing down. For that purpose.pine cones were adequate.
      Good non-lethal projectiles that you can find in the woods are Horse Chestnuts. I wouldn't want to get hit with one. It would probably hurtlike hell. But they are safer than rocks.
     I have also slung large acorns with specifically made smaller pouched slings with good results.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 2:23pm

Thanks, I now know some good ammo to use in case I got Archer's Brainfart again.  Wink

Sounds like slinging nuts brings a whole new meaning to the, "Deez Nuts! Ha, got him!"
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2017 at 9:15pm by Funditor406 »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:40pm

I recently started looking for "safe" ( not actually that safe)ammo and came across some beauty's .

Kentia Palm fruit is biconical and has just enough weight to throw . Just clip a strand on your belt and pic as you go

Also a local tree Corymbia ficiafolia ( red flowering gum has some cool shaped weighted fruits. Probally won't help in the us but you never know

image_025.jpeg (68 KB | 40 )
image_025.jpeg

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 12:21am

Still though @Mersa, those fruits look fantastic, I live in the Rocky Mountains in the US of course, so that would be tough to access those.  Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)