Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Concrete projectiles: not a CONCRETE option... (Read 1130 times)
Leon
Tiro

Sorry for the stupid questions,
i'm new here.

Wervershoof, the Netherlands
Concrete projectiles: not a CONCRETE option...
Jul 3rd, 2017 at 1:41pm

Sorry for the painfull pun.

So today I went ahead and made myself some concrete projectiles. I was gonna make them out of clay, but as stated in my introduction, I live in the middle of nowhere. And it turns out my hardware store doesn't sell clay.

They turned out pretty decent. They look like turds that somehow locked eyes with Medusa, which is kinda funny.

I really only made these because i'm on a budget (i'm a student, obviously), but they didn't turn out as amazing as i hoped. What do you guys mainly use? What is a good cheap option? Where can you get cheap clay?

Fun little anecdote: Before i went to the hardware store, i went to a discount store where they sell all sorts of stuff first. I asked if they had clay and the lady pointed me to a rack full of play-doh.

A 20 year old dude stood in the tool department, asked her if they had clay, and she pointed me to a rack of play-doh.

https://www.facebook.com/leon.degraaf.35  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Concrete projectiles: not a CONCRETE option...
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 2:16pm

Ive used concrete for probably 6 years or so. Like you, I was convinced it wouldn't work at first due to some problems with batches I made early on. I was so convinced I doubted Masi's advice on it. Needless to say he was right I was wrong.  Wink

It works well but you have to make it right. It's essential that it be at the right moisture content. I keep a water misting bottle nearby in case a particular glande needs just a slight tweak in moisture content. It should also be compressed as much as possible. I prefer the concrete that has some type of fibers and obviously should have rock aggragate in it as well.  I made a simple video on making it. I was extremely tired at the time and should probably remake it but you can take a look if you wish. Buy the highest grade you can get. A high grade bag might be 9 dollars vs 4 for low grade.

In my experience a well made, well compressed concrete glande can almost approach some decent river rock in density. Well, almost. And they tend to be quite strong. Here's the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BxDL6eYJRVw

IP Logged

Leon
Tiro

i'm new here.

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 4:03pm

Well the main problem I ran into was the fact that i'm an idiot. I used turbo cement and absolutely crappity smacked my fingers sideways. After some more thinking I figured this wasn't the brightest idea I've ever had.

That point about compression is definitely one I'm gonna keep in mind though. Mine aren't immensely dense.

The vid is perfectly fine btw.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 4:02pm

play doh is fine - just a bit light and shrinks a lot when dry.
Good for trying out moulds though Smiley

Wear gloves when handling cement - the lime will not do your skin any good at all.

So why didn't you just roll golf ball sized balls ?
Quick, easy and effective.

An other thing you can do to stiffen and strengthen the cement is to add pva glue as well as water.
Gives ita little more flexm dries a little slower, so fewer cracks and makes it  a little more pliable.

Over here you get pretty decent sized bottles from pound shops. It's cheap Smiley 

And try not to swear - we pride ourselves on being a family friendly forum Smiley

I know what 'crappity smacker' was originally Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Leon
Tiro

i'm new here.

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 11:14am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 4th, 2017 at 4:02pm:
Wear gloves when handling cement - the lime will not do your skin any good at all.

Yep, figured that out after watching that video. There's skin coming of my fingers now.

So why didn't you just roll golf ball sized balls ?
Quick, easy and effective.

Good question. I tend to loose my rationality while making awesome stuff like stone projectiles to throw really far, and thus i made them BIG AND BADASS. After i was done i indeed figured out the size of a golf ball or an egg was a lot more suiting.

An other thing you can do to stiffen and strengthen the cement is to add pva glue as well as water.
Gives ita little more flexm dries a little slower, so fewer cracks and makes it  a little more pliable.

How much of it do you use?

And try not to swear - we pride ourselves on being a family friendly forum 

Awefully sorry about that. I'm from the Netherlands and here it's strangely normal to swear in every single sentence you say.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:21pm

Not to derail this too much, but as a Brit living in Finland, I've found I swear like a sailor who just dropped an anchor on his foot nowadays. A combination maybe of Finns being very good at swearing and English swear words having less impact over here Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:24pm

How much pva ?
Not a clue.
It's something professional cement people add to stop cement cracking and drying out too fast.

Try it and see Smiley
Then let us know Wink 
I'd probably start with 50:50 pva to water and then gradually increase the pva till you got the right consistency on the cement.
And let it dry on clingfilm or some other non-stick surface. after all pva is glue.

My parents recently came back fro my sister's in canada and were shocked at how much people over there swear.

Me I view it much the same as people who use 'nice' to describe just about everything.
The english language is vast and rich - there are always alternative words to use, so use them Smiley

Actually made up swear words are often much better. One of my favourites is: Bummox !

Multi purpose, sounds rude but isn't lol

Plus the forum has  abuilt in swear word substitute routine. So any really good made up ones can be substituted for something we already use.
there's a challenge for you lot.
Make up some fake swear words Smiley
Crappity Smacker is my all time favourite. No idea who came up with it - but it's an ideal substitute for a very rude phrase. 

Actual swear words in a non-english language, will not count (yes I am looking at you otter) 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker)