Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Send Topic Print
Absolute maximum slinging length (Read 34287 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Absolute maximum slinging length
Reply #75 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 7:33am

Well I agree with the theory you presented to back up your claim. Just find the claim astonishing and hard to believe.
Love to see a video.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #76 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 7:45am

Would you be able to post a video of your slinging?

If Larry Bray can send a stone 400m+ (which has been verified) then I don't see why 700m shouldn't be possible with ultra dense ammo and an equally skilled/strong slinger.

This would be a world record by some distance though so I think you can understand people being skeptical and wanting to see video.

Quote:
Here we do not speek about "bullets" with a top and a bottom, but about "balls". On the other hand of course I have no knowledge about bipointed projektiles of lead. Maybe they have the property to align themself in direction of flight.

I've used clay glandes and they do self-orient (after a time). Having self-oriented, glandes should naturally have larger mass to drag ratio- packing more mass through a smaller 'hole in the air', It's probably more complicated than that, but it's a long time since I've studied fluid dynamics.

IIRC the bipointed shape is the most aerodynamic bi-directional flyer, with the teardrop shape being the most aerodynamic single-directional flyer.

Of course using a sufficiently massive/dense projectile the difference in air resistance might become largely negligable between ball and glande anyway.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #77 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:14am

from what i know yurek used elongated projectile(50g), bipointed which is more aerodynamic than a sphere and thus needs less speed (for vacuum 71m/s) so he probably threw 71-85m/s and that is only if he didn't mess with angle of attack.

you are saying 77g at 100m/s.

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 5:47am:
I would say "yes - if you would have talent for this and the time for another few years of practice - means somewhat about 50.000 throws within the next 5 years". Don't know what is your personal "record" and your condition right now.

i can't believe the answer hides in just more throws, and then the sling does all the work.
are you talking about specific training  year in year out and having a peak one time per year like olympic throwers? or you can perform consistently( with small deviations) throughout the year without risking major injuries in your arm?

personal records:
200m 90cm sling(old), http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1474293154/new, measured with camera frames  57m/s 72cm sling 50g stones .
a spotter would be very helpful...

in 2017 (till today) performed 9261 throws, of course most of them are accuracy and form training, if it was for speed i'm afraid i would have serious shoulder problems.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #78 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:18am

It makes sense that if a stone can be thrown over 400 meters a piece of tungsten could go much further than that.

There are a few things Im a little mystified on but nothing that immediately screams "fake" to me.

The only way to make it official for the world to see is through Guiness World Records though.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #79 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:46pm

I say the same as she Mersa: I'd love to see you when you're slinging! Could you make a video? If you do not want to show at your face, put the balaclava on the head  Smiley
The finest thing would be to see a slow motion film like David Morningstar.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #80 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:57am

Apex-apoc

I have a few questions.

I don’t understand your tabulation of relative drags. Whatver it is it does not seem to be a characteristic of the projectile alone. How do you define it, and thus compute relative drag?

It seems you are applying conservation of angular momentum (Kepler’s second law) to get your speed multiplication in the elliptical motion, but I don’t understand why that can be applied here.

(edit) - actually.. I see why this now. Probably no need to answer for angular momentum Smiley.

Kepler’s third law is to do with period and semi-major axis under inverse square law attraction, so I’m puzzled as to how that applies here as well - actually I can't make out where you might use it, although you mention that you do. The motion in the throw may be (approximately elliptical) but the constraints seem to me to be rather different.

In the ballistics simulator, how is the drag coefficient for the sphere defined? Does the simulator account for variation in drag coefficient for ‘high’ speeds?

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2017 at 7:59am by wanderer »  

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #81 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 7:02am

[quote author=4961767765040 link=1499008756/64#64 date=1502665097]I think in theoretical terms things can potentially travel further in air than in a vacuum(with gravity as a constant). If perfect spin and angle are achieved and lift is generated. Real life might be harder to replicate.
I've slung lead and it's not easy to find, even painted bright colours. You may be on some very compacted soil but for me it's buried deeper than 3 cm. I also don't sling anywhere near the speeds your talking.
Who knows if your telling the truth, enjoyable reading none the less.[/quote]

There's no doubt that heavy backspin extends range for mid-weight things like stones and golfballs. I'm not sure how much effect it might have with solid (polished?) metal spheres. Probably rather little - and Apex-apoc seems keen to avoid wasting initial kinetic energy going into spin.

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Reply #82 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 11:35am

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 5:19pm:
johan wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 4:17pm:
Since you throw very dense projectiles we can do the hypothesis that it is like you throw it in a vacuum.

Thats not correct. The density of a ball of tungsten is in relation to "profile", respectivley in relation to "drag" exactly twice as high as in natural stones. In other words: The drag of tungsten is only 50% of the drag of stones, and so its "range" is (as) tiwce as high too.

If you can throw a stone for 370 m, than you can throw a ball of tungsten (same mass) for 740 m ... "automatically" (while using lead - same mass - this factor is only 1,6 instead - not 2,0).

So if you had to be a Hulk for this, so you had to be too the same Hulk for throwing stones for only 370 m, but this was done already long ago and "allways" (and by Bray, Yurek, Engvall, etc. ...).

So in any point of theory you made a thinking error. Length of my sling was 1,32 m only (+ 15 cm maximum from the radius of a slinging hand). And I can't remember (or imagine) to have rotated with much more than 3 rps (4 rps I hold for absolutley undoable).

The only one possibility that I can imagine would be an even higher "factor", because Keplers second law counts on interplanetry ellipses (of gravity) and is a little bit tricky to "transfer" for acclerations in slinging. Also keep in mind, that comparisons with "hulkish conditions" can not be done if the "energy" is not known, because to throw 77 g (with 82 m/s) is not the same as to throw 150 g (with the same speed or for the same distance).

Relative drags (in relation to drag of stone):

Tungsten - 50 % (factor of range = 2,0)
Lead - 60 % (factor of range = 1,6)
Brass / Gunmetal - 66 % (factor of range = 1,57)
Steel - 67 % (factor of range = 1,48)
Stone - 100 % (factor of range = 1,0)

A ball of stone with 150 g has diameter 50 mm
A ball of tungsten with 150 g has diameter 25 mm

Thats exactly the half (50%) and therefore the ball of tungsten flies twice as far as a ball of stone.

(emphasis mine)

I'm very surprised nobody reading this has pointed out that this method is entirely incorrect. It's not how physics work. You cannot calculate range of a projectile this way at all...

johan wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 4:17pm:
Since you throw very dense projectiles we can do the hypothesis that it is like you throw it in a vacuum.

This approximation is actually quite useful and even somewhat accurate if you substract about 20% of range.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #83 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 12:28pm

Quote:
I'm very surprised nobody reading this has pointed out that this method is entirely incorrect. It's not how physics work. You cannot calculate range of a projectile this way at all...

I skipped most of the earlier posts but yes you are right.

Projectile motion with drag is very complex and analytic solutions for distance are not even possible. It can only be calculated computationally or approximated.

The statement that drag is inversely proportional to range (even just approximately) is not rigorous and needs mathematical justification.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #84 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:40pm

Interesting. I dont know enough about these subjects to offer any useful skepticism. But please, continue. My popcorn is ready.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #85 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:41pm

WojtekimbieR wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 11:35am:

What "method"? Drag depends 1 : 1 in cross-section of bodys moved in fluids / gases (unless the bodys are of a more or less aerodynamic shapes like rockets, UFOs or dolphins).

The diameter of a sphere / ball of tungsten (weight 100 g) is half of "diameter" of a ball of stone (with the same weight). So the cross-section of a sphere / ball of tungsten is only a QUARTER (25%) of cross-section of the stone (with the same weight or mass). So it would be to expect that its range even were the forthfold.

But this "second halving" of the tungstens drag gets a "compression" (termination) as a result of its higher range (that is similar to a longer flight time - dont know how to explain better or with all details in english).

Maybe in a physical absolutely correct calculation this had be to calculate more complex for more accuracy ... but anyway: PLEASE (!) go to this side http://www.schuetzenverein-ettenheim.de/sportschiessen/ballistikrechner.php and try it:

Insert a sphere with weight of 100 g while diameter is 60 mm ... choose a speed of 100 m/s and let the tool calculalte what the shooting-distance is.

Then try the same once more, but this time with diameter 30 mm (also 100 g) and look what range will be the result after calculation.

DO IT !!! (... and you will see it will be nearly the twice of range of the sphere with diameter 60 mm!). 

And PLEASE - english is not my mother tounge - do not expect an complex / abstract explanation of math in mathematically expressions from me, because these expressions to me are not only "mathematically", but "foreign language" too in the same time. Partially this would be english "slang", respectively "professional chinese" I never heard and never read.

Do you want to ask your questions in german?
Und darf ich dann auf Mathematisch-Deutsch antworten???

... so "YES", my so-called "relative drags" in my small table are approximations only. But what do you want? Do you want to throw rocks as far as possible, or do you want to calculate an orbital flight way to saturn and to celebrate "science" there?
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:46pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #86 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:53pm

And sorry for not answering all the other questions, but to answer in english takes me four times more time as you to formulate a short question or a simple "opjection" or argument.

This is that time what I simply do not have. I would have to write about a couple of hours to answer all the questions that was been fomulated from you (all) in only one and a half day.

To speak or write english I am really don't used (but I hope by reading and writing here - sometimes - to get more practice and a little bit better ond more quickly english-speaking).

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #87 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:46pm

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:53pm:
And sorry for not answering all the other questions, but to answer in english takes me four times more time as you to formulate a short question or a simple "opjection" or argument.

This is that time what I simply do not have. I would have to write about a couple of hours to answer all the questions that was been fomulated from you (all) in only one and a half day.

To speak or write english I am really don't used.

i prefer an answer in german than none at all....

wanderer wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 6:57am:
It seems you are applying conservation of angular momentum (Kepler’s second law) to get your speed multiplication in the elliptical motion, but I don’t understand why that can be applied here.

(edit) - actually.. I see why this now. Probably no need to answer for angular momentum Smiley.

Kepler’s third law is to do with period and semi-major axis under inverse square law attraction, so I’m puzzled as to how that applies here as well - actually I can't make out where you might use it, although you mention that you do. The motion in the throw may be (approximately elliptical) but the constraints seem to me to be rather different.

i don't understand how heavy mass (sun) relates to hand and sling , how is the keplers 2nd law applied in slinging?
the only thing that seems similar is geometry
if you have understood please explain

@WojtekimbieR,JudoP
you seem to agree with the approximation i made , that's a minimum speed, Apex-apoc claims 100m/s (!!) .The problem that concerns me the most is not external ballistics  but the internal ballistics(of slinging) that throw something 77g heavy at 100m/s (or even 80m/s)

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #88 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:54pm

johan wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:46pm:
if you have understood please explain

Even Kepler himself hasn't seen / understood or explained WHY (!) that second law is as it is. He only determines this kind of "moves" / "accelerations" as a fact or "natural phenomenon". But one is for sure: If acceleration comes from gravity, from jet engines, from diesel engines or from muscles doesn't matter. There is only a force / actio and type of move as "re-actio". The matter here is only "centripedal force contra centrifugal force" - with or without any sling, string or rubber band.

Do you think "force field lines" are substancial strings?

But even Kepler has build a kind of sling to imagine that a "moon" had to flew away if there were no "gravity". He was taken a small ball and a line to bind the ball and slung it around to show, respectivley to "feel" the force that he than called "centrifugal force". And than he said also: "... and my hand which holds it on orbit is the earth (... ähm ... but don't ask me what the crappity smack is the line!)".

But I have to correct me in spite of an earlier argument of you: In any kind of way has this "second law" absolutly to do with "leverages" and / or "mechanical translations" (dont know if "translation" is the right expression in this case too).

Auf Deutsch hieße die mechanische "Übersetzung" aber ebenfalls "Übersetzung" (genauso, wie die spachliche Übersetzung). Übersetzung = translation.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #89 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 4:51pm

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:54pm:
Even Kepler himself hasn't seen / understood or explained WHY (!) that is as it is. He only determines this kind of "moves" / "accelerations". But one is for sure: If acceleration comes from gravity, from jet engines, from diesel engines or from muscles doesn't matter. There is only a force / actio and type of move as "re-actio". The matter here is only "centripedal force contra centrifugal force" - with or without any sling, string or rubber band.

different forces are applied in different manners and angles, in theory an arm might perform what you are saying, but in reality an arm has many limitations.
with the 2nd law of keppler  the max velocity of a planet is when it is closer to the sun, how do you tranfer that to hand and sling?

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:54pm:
But I have to correct me in spite of an earlier argument of you: In any kind of way has this "second law" absolutly to do with "leverages" and / or "mechanical translations" (dont know if "translation" is the right expression in this case too).

i don't understand what you are trying to say. if you can't write it in english rewrite it in german

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15)