Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17
Send Topic Print
Absolute maximum slinging length (Read 34247 times)
Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Re: Absolute maximum slinging length
Reply #30 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 10:52am

timpa wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 4:47pm:
Why not?

because ...

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 5:39pm:
... the reachable frequence of "pirouettes" is too low. These frequence and resulted speed of stone also is too low if the slings measure (length) is to high.

By making pirouettes (with a long sling) you may by able to give the bullet up to 2 rounds per second.

To accellerate the same bullet up to 65 m/s with a 1,4 m long sling, you need to turn it with more than 6 rounds per second, because the length (circumference) of one round is only 9,5 meter.

While turning the sling "overhead" these frequency could nearly be done (in the last half round before release, while change the circular round into an elliptical path), but not while turning the whole body for pirouettes.

Now perhaps you would say: "But my circle has a biger radius because my sling measures up to 200 cm and my arm is stretched. Therefor I don't need so many rounds per second."

So I would answer: "That's correkt, but already not enough of speed to come close to 65 m/s (which is required to get ranges up to or more than 400 meter)"

And my next question would be: Can you already turn pirouettes with a 300 cm long sling (?) ... with a 400 cm long sling (?) ... with a 500 cm long sling???

Because if NOT you do know "WHY NOT?". Make some calculations and try to turn a 4 m long sling!
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 11:59am by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #31 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:24pm

Jaegoor wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
Wenn man lernt eine Schleuder verkürzt zu greifen, schnell zu rotieren und erst beim auslösen auf die volle Länge zu werfen, dann hat man verstanden

Also nichts für ungut, aber man hat dann bestenfalls verstandern, dass solche "Faxen" für die Reichweite überhaupt gar nichts bringen.

Das Ziel eines guten Schleuderers ist entweder die größtmögliche Wurfweite oder die bestmögliche Genauigkeit / Trefferquote oder beides bestmöglich kombiniert, aber eben nicht die bestmögliche Bedienung der längstmöglichen Spaß-schleuder.

In english:

Jaegor: "If you have learned to grap (a very long) sling first shortened and to throw its full length (potential) only when change into the last round (for release), than you have understood."  - end of message -

Me: So nothing for non-sense, but than you understood at the most, that those "jokes" effect nothing for higher ranges.

The goal for a good slinger either is the highest range or the highest accuracy or both in most perfect combination, but not the best handling of the worlds longest "joke-sling".
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 5:47pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:39pm

have you ever watched tint's sling style video ?
(any excuse to repost it)

Starting at 1:50 - masterclass in how to handle a stupidly long sling Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #33 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 1:33pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:39pm:
have you ever watched tint's sling style video ?

Yes - most of the shown styles are the same as my own styles (side-arm & helicopter).

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:39pm:
(any excuse to repost it)

No - I already wrote (in german / my first post for Jeagor): "Principel nothing is to objekt against "pirouettes" , but it wents for bad results (low ranges & lowest accuracy). Pirouettes are only good for increasing the weight of bullets (have a look for hammer throwers) and the length of a sling."

What should be the sense of using the most possible long sling??? Is slinging an "(martial) art" or a joke for "burning down the daylight" (ment: "... for wasting time")?

Maybe I misunderstood the topic as "the highest length of a sling which almost is full of sense / effect" (*)  Undecided

But I've seen you to confirm in the mentioned paradoxon: "master(class) of stupidity" like: "masterclass in how to handle a stupidly long sling". That means of course: "This length is not "a sling or slinging" but non-sense."

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 5:38pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #34 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:45pm

The caulk tube bucket sling has given me around 900 ft with golf balls and it is 44 inches long

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #35 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:46pm

The caulk tube bucket sling has given me around 900 ft with golf balls and it is 44 inches long

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #36 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:53pm

The baseball sling has a length of 58 in or 147cm. They average around 420 or 440 ft.

20170809_145047.jpg (1799 KB | 32 )
20170809_145047.jpg

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #37 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 4:43pm

pirouette is used by few members and it seems to have potential .

in pirouette you are not making only circles with the sling but before release the throwing arm moves forward making sling trajectory ellipsoid
also pulling the non-throwing arm to the body increases rotations/second

the leverage of a pirouette style is probably greater than that of other more linear throws..

pirouette surely has issues with accuracy and seems more skill/coordination demanding than other styles

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 6th, 2017 at 10:52am:
To accellerate the same bullet up to 65 m/s with a 1,4 m long sling, you need to turn it with more than 6 rounds per second, because the length (circumference) of one round is only 9,5 meter.

1,4m sling + 0,7-0,9m(center of chest to fingers or half the height of a man)=2,1m-2,3m

circumference of circle =2*pi*radius=13,2m-14,45m

for 65m/s you need 4,9-4,5 rotations /second
and you need that only at the moment of release not during the whole throwing motion....
i think athletes reach such rotational speeds with a discus in the hand which is heavier than a sling and stone

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #38 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 2:55pm

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 6th, 2017 at 10:52am:
timpa wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 4:47pm:
Why not?

because ...

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 5:39pm:
... the reachable frequence of "pirouettes" is too low. These frequence and resulted speed of stone also is too low if the slings measure (length) is to high.

By making pirouettes (with a long sling) you may by able to give the bullet up to 2 rounds per second.

While turning the sling "overhead" these frequency could nearly be done (in the last half round before release, while change the circular round into an elliptical path), but not while turning the whole body for pirouettes.

Now perhaps you would say: "But my circle has a biger radius because my sling measures up to 200 cm and my arm is stretched. Therefor I don't need so many rounds per second."

So I would answer: "That's correkt, but already not enough of speed to come close to 65 m/s (which is required to get ranges up to or more than 400 meter)"

And my next question would be: Can you already turn pirouettes with a 300 cm long sling (?) ... with a 400 cm long sling (?) ... with a 500 cm long sling???

Because if NOT you do know "WHY NOT?". Make some calculations and try to turn a 4 m long sling!

I do not fully understand. My English is poor.

But I say this:

If a person has a good throwing hand, the pirouette throwing is long.

If a person has a poor throwing hand, the pirouette throwing is short.

Practising will help here.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #39 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:52pm

@Parmenion: " ... for 65m/s you need 4,9-4,5 rotations /secondand you need that only at the moment of release not during the whole throwing motion....i think athletes reach such rotational speeds with a discus ..."

No chance - right this is the point: With an by a long sling elongated arm you are not able to make only 4 rounds per second. And while throwing a discus you have your arms not elongated, because nothing longer than only your streched arm (and a discus).

I said, the longer your "arming" (wappon) is the longer becomes the sequence (! not frequence !) of its turning.

Maybe a very tough "Princess on ice" is able to make 5 or 6 turns per second, but those keeps her arms (and legs!) very close to her body and first must have done a very complex / difficult "introduction" / "start" for this moving. But this princess hasn't any "arming" to accelarate with her.

Give her a long sling or rod (each 1,4 m) to hold "streched" far away from her body axis, and she does nothing comparable anymore ... or just maximum 2 rpm.

In the last 30 seconds of his video David McNamara shows you what only "3 rpm" means:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK3H45Qld3k

And right this (orbital speed of bullet) you never never never will reach or imitate with pirouettes! Also the amount of "extension" (for a change into an elliptical trajektor) is nearly "nothing" when making pirouettes, because the relation between small and large axis (of the ellipse) stays nearly 1 : 1, while this could be up to 1 : 3 (!) when throwing by "helicopter-to-sidearm style".

The following vid shows very clear and impressive the length of "extension" when the slinging hand is tracked from behind the body into the front of body:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzUAdkoAfbo

Only this can explain / declare the high difference between calculated orbital speed and real orbital speed. The real speed is more then twice as high as the speed which allways is calculated from the bloody stupid combination in "circle, radius & frequence". In the last moment of slingig the trajector isn't a circle, but an ellipse, and therfore you must not calculate like "Thales" or "Galilei" but calculate like "Kepler" and his third or second law.

And please ... think twice! ... Even timpas fastest pirouette comes up with maximum 1,5 rpm. One second is done within only a second! "Zack" and over! What the hell do you think can be done in only one second?

Is your breakfast done within "15 seconds" too???

Timpa makes ONE full turn / round (and a half) and one second is OVER! While tracking his slinging hand to the front of body (at the same time) that sums up to maximum 1,5 or 2,0 rpm. And while this is done by him I can't see any transmission or change from a circle into an elliptical trajektor. But to speed up a circular round isn't the same as its extension / deformation to an ellipse, because "to speed up in a round" is only an addition, while from its extension results a "qoutient", respectivly a multiplication.

If the remarked "extension" change the circle into an ellipse with axis-relation of 1 : 2 than the orbital speed of circular trajektor becomes twice. If the extension change the circle into an ellipse with axis-relation of 1 : 3 than the orbital speed becomes the "triple" (don't know if this english word is the right one in this case of "syntax" - meant is: "a three times higher speed").

I will try to imagine this "secret of a slings high momentum" with help of a drawing until tomorrow - perhaps until the day after tomorrow (= sunday). At the moment this draw is still in work and only a "vector" in corel draw format (.cdr) - so I have it first to bring to an end and to convert into .jpg or .png which measures fits here on it's best.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:34pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #40 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 4:20am

how did you measure rpm out of youtube videos? it will certainly have errors
rpm is round per minute
(1 round/second=60rpm)

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:52pm:
Maybe a very tough "Princess on ice" is able to make 5 or 6 turns per second, but those keeps her arms (and legs!) very close to her body and first must have done a very complex / difficult "introduction" / "start" for this moving. But this princess hasn't any "arming" to accelarate with her.

let's not compare this to slinging. as i said earlier you need to reach maximum speed only at the moment of release and not for a longer time like in ice skating.

Even timpas fastest pirouette comes up with maximum 1,5 rpm. One second is done within only a second! "Zack" and over! What the hell do you think can be done in only one second?

everything can be done in one second and less, if a way of throwing has more leverage and bigger acceleration than other styles then if it takes a little time to perform it, it doesn't matter.

although i want to see the drawing you say, don't get too consumed with theory,math and physics unless you can make a real research and even then it will be useless if it isn't supported by experimental data.
so the question should be how many of us can achieve, what jax and timpa achieve, but with shorter slings and/or more conventional styles 

i hope you have experimented with pirouette styles before discarding them as useless...

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #41 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 6:34am

Ich hab pirouette Stile versucht. Sie sind umständlich und bringen effektiv gesehen nichts. Auch wird immer wieder etwas vergessen. Das schnelle drehen einer Schleuder bringt sehr wenig . Dadurch wird nicht die Power einer Schleuder bestimmt. Ich erklärte es schon einmal. Es ist ähnlich wie im Karate. Der letzte kick aus der                                                                                     Hüfte bestimmt Power und Geschwindigkeit. Nicht der Arm.
Das gezeigte Video von Apex hat daher einen kleinen Fehler. Nicht der Arm geht zuerst in eine Vorwärtsbewegung. Die Hüfte kommt vorher. Sie nimmt denn Arm mit nach vorne . So erreicht man sehr hohe geschwindigkeiten . Kommt die Power nur aus dem Arm, wird dieser ihnen mit der Zeit Schmerzen bereiten. Es gibt sehr viele Slinger die daran leiden. Ihre Technik ist einfach nicht richtig.
Sehen sie Lui an. Zuerst kommt die Hüfte, dann der Arm. Er trifft. Mit großer Kraft. Manchmal jedoch gelingt es ihm nicht. Zuerst der Arm und dann die HÜfte. Seine Treffer werden sehr viel weniger. Ich bemerkte dies auch bei mir. Auch bei anderen. Gerne würde ich es ihnen zeigen. Sie würden es sofort verstehen.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #42 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 9:16am

@Jaegoor without practice any kind of throwing is cumbersome,try throwing with the left it's gonna be awkward...

if i understand well you are saying that power is coming from ground up, like a whip, not the reverse.
power comes from hip-shoulder separation.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEpdoAZiHWQ 1:10 Quote:
80% of velocity comes from hip and shoulder separation
don't know how he did the math)

what you say is true but i see that the same principles apply to pirouettes as well.
in pirouettes you use hip shoulder separation .
you are not a stiff cross turning around your long axis Tongue

that being said, i'm more skilled at linear throws than pirouettes but i haven't practiced the equally at both techniques to form a good conclusion.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #43 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 3:51pm

@

No chance - right this is the point: With an by a long sling elongated arm you are not able to make only 4 rounds per second. And while throwing a discus you have your arms not elongated, because nothing longer than only your streched arm (and a discus).

I said, the longer your "arming" (wappon) is the longer becomes the sequence (! not frequence !) of its turning.

Give her a long sling or rod (each 1,4 m) to hold "streched" far away from her body axis, and she does nothing comparable anymore ... or just maximum 2 rpm.

In the last 30 seconds of his video David McNamara shows you what only "3 rpm" means:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK3H45Qld3k

And right this (orbital speed of bullet) you never never never will reach or imitate with pirouettes! Also the amount of "extension" (for a change into an elliptical trajektor) is nearly "nothing" when making pirouettes, because the relation between small and large axis (of the ellipse) stays nearly 1 : 1, while this could be up to 1 : 3 (!) when throwing by "helicopter-to-sidearm style".

The following vid shows very clear and impressive the length of "extension" when the slinging hand is tracked from behind the body into the front of body:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzUAdkoAfbo

Only this can explain / declare the high difference between calculated orbital speed and real orbital speed. The real speed is more then twice as high as the speed which allways is calculated from the bloody stupid combination in "circle, radius & frequence". In the last moment of slingig the trajector isn't a circle, but an ellipse, and therfore you must not calculate like "Thales" or "Galilei" but calculate like "Kepler" and his third or second law.

And please ... think twice! ... Even timpas fastest pirouette comes up with maximum 1,5 rpm. One second is done within only a second! "Zack" and over! What the hell do you think can be done in only one second?

Is your breakfast done within "15 seconds" too???

Timpa makes ONE full turn / round (and a half) and one second is OVER! While tracking his slinging hand to the front of body (at the same time) that sums up to maximum 1,5 or 2,0 rpm. And while this is done by him I can't see any transmission or change from a circle into an elliptical trajektor. But to speed up a circular round isn't the same as its extension / deformation to an ellipse, because "to speed up in a round" is only an addition, while from its extension results a "qoutient", respectivly a multiplication.

If the remarked "extension" change the circle into an ellipse with axis-relation of 1 : 2 than the orbital speed of circular trajektor becomes twice. If the extension change the circle into an ellipse with axis-relation of 1 : 3 than the orbital speed becomes the "triple" (don't know if this english word is the right one in this case of "syntax" - meant is: "a three times higher speed").

I will try to imagine this "secret of a slings high momentum" with help of a drawing until tomorrow - perhaps until the day after tomorrow (= sunday). At the moment this draw is still in work and only a "vector" in corel draw format (.cdr) - so I have it first to bring to an end and to convert into .jpg or .png which measures fits here on it's best.

Now too much attention is paid to rotation. The pirouette gives only a good start.
Notes: Hand performs a throw.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #44 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:05pm

Parmenion. Es gibt einen Fehler. Slingen ist nicht Baseball. Es gibt Ähnlichkeiten, aber auch große Unterschiede. Hauptunterschied ist ist, die länge der Sling. Sie besitzt eine natürliche Trägheit. Vielleicht drehe ich ein Video um es zu verdeutlichen.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy)