Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print
Absolute maximum slinging length (Read 34311 times)
Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Re: Absolute maximum slinging length
Reply #210 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 3:22pm

timpa wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 11:52am:
(You see, I discovered that the pirouette is avoided, and should not even wish to learn.)

You "discovered" it, after I had it said aleady?

Apex-apoc wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:45am:
We (I) don't wanted to say, your pirouette would be wrong or powerless, but (in relation to helikopter) with lower EFFECT.

Have you learned the half side arm half helicopter style or have you avoided (but wished to learn)?

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #211 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 5:07pm

I have thrown a variety of styles. Whichever way you look, pirouette can best utilize the power of the whole body.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #212 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 5:36pm

timpa wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 5:07pm:
I have thrown a variety of styles. Whichever way you look, pirouette can best utilize the power of the whole body.

Yes, correct - also this I said already: "Therefore something similar is performed by HAMMER THROWERS."

For range while throwing small weights (as Bray or Yurek have done) it is to slow nevertheless: "... not so effective" I said.

All this I said already:

Apex-apoc wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 5:39pm:
The essence of my long german speech in english:

The pirouette style may be good for throwing "hammers" (around 16 lbs. or up to 2 lbs.), but not for slingig light weightet stones under 400 gramms. In order to throw smaller masses as far as possible (... aaand acurate the same time!), the reachable frequence of "pirouettes" is too low. These frequence and resulted speed of stone also is too low if the slings measure (length) is to high. I guess for man with height of 1,80 m, the lenght of his sling should not exceed 1,4 meters. Best length may be between 100 und 130 cm. The "target" while trowing big "hammers" isn't really to hit a "target" but only the highest distance in throwing a big massive hammer for "anywhere". So you can turn pirouettes where you must not see clearly any small targets. But while slinging whith a "sling" like david's you have to focus very clearly and to hit a very small target (the small point between goliath's eyes and helmet or an apple at the head of W. Tell's son, to say it precisely). By practising the pirouette you can increase the weight of "bullets" only - not the distance for throwing small stones or an "accuratness".And look: Olympic hammer throwers (and shot putters) needs to hit a wide place of sand or lawn only, so nothing exact!

Also (in german the same date / day): "But generally it is nothing to complain about performing the pirouette!"

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #213 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 11:34pm

i think the best length of sling for range depends on your body size, strength and throwing style like i throw with a sling that is 3.5 foot and that works for any throwing style and i can throw just about any distance id want to i throw farther with a 4 to 4.5 foot sling but it gets harder for me to hit smaller things

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #214 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:17pm

Apex-apoc wrote on Sep 14th, 2017 at 5:36pm:
For range while throwing small weights (as Bray or Yurek have done) it is to slow nevertheless: "... not so effective" I said.

I disagree. You can not change my mind.  Smiley

But it is true that the pirouette is inaccurate
(and at best against the army (not against one man),

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #215 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:06pm

timpa wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 1:17pm:
I disagree. You can not change my mind.

Your agreement (or mind) doesn't matter here: That 3,5 rps are faster than 2,5 rps is POOFED, respectively EVIDENT, and that the amount of "rps" of your pirouettes are not even 2,5 rps, we have seen in your video with the "queaks on ice" (and others). Also is evident, that the range depends on muzzle speed and the muzzel speed depends of rps and length of sling.

But all these simple facts are independet of your agreement or disagreement  Smiley

May be the human body (with outspread arms) can rotate even with 4 rps, but this would be much more difficult than to rotate only the sling over head or behind / besides the body (with the same rotation speed). 

A sling with lenght = 116 cm and a stone with about 110 g I can rotate 43 times in 10 seconds (= 4,3 rps - launch velocity = 31,34 m/s). Do you achieve the same "speed" with slings that are less or more long by performing pirouettes?

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #216 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:38pm

Apex-apoc wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:06pm:
That 3,5 rps are faster than 2,5 rps is POOFED, respectively EVIDENT and that the amount of "rps" of your pirouettes are not even 2,5 rps, we have seen in your video with the "queeks on ice".

The pirouette  consists of: Speed of rotation + hand speed. Do you take into account the hand speed (end of the pirouette)?

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #217 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 5:45pm

timpa wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:38pm:
Do you take into account the hand speed (end of the pirouette)?

NO ... because the helicopter / sidearm consits of "launch velocity" (= speed of rotaion) + hand speed TOO. Do you take into account the "hand speed" (end of helicopter / side arm)?

I said, the LAUNCH VELOCITY (!) is 25 - 30 m/s - not the muzzle speed! Muzzle speed of Larrys record-throw was minimum 110 m/s ! His sling had the same length as yours on the frozen lake (1,3 m).

How do you explain this high speed ... ? ... and to whom or for what was I talking (the last 5 weeks) ???

Do you realy think only the pirouette owns a final "hand speed" x "acceleration factor"?

Why your ball was not flown for 437 m? Do you realy think, alone Larrys arm or waist had more power than your "best utilized whole body"?

And please note: 110 m/s can't be the simple sum of rotation speed and hand speed, because humans hand speed could be maximum the hand speed of "the wolds most best baseball pitcher" (45 m/s), and the rotation speed could be maximum 35 m/s (1,6 m sling-length and 3,5 rps provided ... what is as good as impossible!).
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:55pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #218 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:35pm

I understand, but, mathematically it has been proved that the Wright brothers' plane was impossible to fly.

When I was young, slinging was very popular. Although it was very hard throwers, no helicopter, no sidearm etc., did not succeed against in pirouette. Pirouette was overwhelming.
That is why I argue that for example, Yurek throws pirouette longer than helicopter.

But I always change my mind if someone proves otherwise. Not math, but in practice. Smiley

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #219 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 8:10pm

timpa wrote on Sep 15th, 2017 at 7:35pm:
But I always change my mind if someone proves otherwise. Not math, but in practice.

Me too, because your "mind" is nothing else than theory! Forget your "hand speed" totally or SUBTRACT it from the rotation speed (because math is not sure / no prove).

Larry and Engvall (and others) have it proved in practice ... and YOU TOO. You proved, that the range of your pirouette is not so high as the throwing styles of Yurek, Engvall or Bray, ...!

And by the way: A non heard "queak on ice" also is no prove for passing the whole lake - right than, when math or "theories" can miss the reality of really flying aeroplanes. For sure you only know that there was no "squeak", but don't WHY there was no squeak. Your explanation or conclusion comes from nothing else than a theory. Maybe at some lokals of the lake the ice was very thin only (or the softer snow very thick ) - lokals in a distance of only 200 m. Neither the one nor the other would lead the sound of an "impact" untill the shore.

Who knows what else could be the cause for a missing squeak.

But right now I remember one of your videos, where you had worked with a sling and a "speedometer". Can you please poste here (once more) the link for that one?! Because I can't find it anymore. 
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2017 at 4:24pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #220 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:26pm

For this reason, I threw the lake again in the summer.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #221 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 4:39pm

timpa wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 3:26pm:
For this reason, I threw the lake again in the summer.

Okay - that's a good idea and a very exciting message, and I wish you some successful throws for more than 350 m, of course. But don't forget nevertheless, that a ball of steel (22 mm / 45 g) that was thrown for 300 -350 m still not is the same success as Brays stone (34 mm / 52 g) that was thrown for 437 m (same length of sling).

A stone generates much more drag than a steel ball. So for a "prove" or comparison (competition) better do not throw so small ball bearings (of steel or lead) again - or darts - but stones (or balls of aluminium or glass).

Do you believe / trust in math and physics of "density & drag correlation" at least? Because if not, then better throw some hollow balls of wood with diameter 220 mm and a mass of 450 g. Shocked  (sorry - could simply not resist that silly joke! Your plan for the next summer I find exciting and useful for real, and I hope some people believe in Google Maps).

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #222 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:35pm

I've already thrown. And even with smaller balls. Smiley

350m is too much for me.  Sad
I am poor theory matters.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #223 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:59pm

timpa wrote on Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:35pm:
I've already thrown. And even with smaller balls.

Outch, my mistake! I read: "for this reason I will throw the lake again in the (next) summer".

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #224 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 10:55am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:42am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Morphy)