Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Mushroom Hunting 2017 (Read 13346 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Mushroom Hunting 2017
Reply #90 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:27am

The honey mushrooms I've tried were definitely underwhelming. And they are easier for newer mushroom hunters to make a mistake on and pick the wrong species.

You can find some good books on mushroom hunting on amazon. Also I have two apps which are really helpful, Audubon Mushroom Guide and Myco Pro. Myco Pro is great because it has a quiz function where it shows you a mushroom and gives you 4 choices to choose from. It's the easiest way to start recognizing the charecteristics of different genera by eye.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #91 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:45pm

Thanks morphy .
You always come through with good advice.
I'll have a look.
And I'll do my best to get you a few photos

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #92 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 6:00pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:27am:
The honey mushrooms I've tried were definitely underwhelming. And they are easier for newer mushroom hunters to make a mistake on and pick the wrong species.

You can find some good books on mushroom hunting on amazon. Also I have two apps which are really helpful, Audubon Mushroom Guide and Myco Pro. Myco Pro is great because it has a quiz function where it shows you a mushroom and gives you 4 choices to choose from. It's the easiest way to start recognizing the charecteristics of different genera by eye.

like a visual key. great idea!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #93 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 8:04pm

Glad to help.

I used to mentor a 14 year old young man and we would use the quiz function quite a bit. I'm positive he initially wanted to look at it to see magic mushrooms (thought he was being sneaky I guess) but having been a teen myself I figured he would start with the interest in magic mushrooms and get sucked into loving all mushrooms (that was me being sneaky). And he did, in fact, and became pretty darn good at identification.

Mushrooms are absolutely beautiful and myserious. I think you will enjoy finding and learning about them, just be careful. (I know you will, but have to say it.)

Here's some I found the other day.

I only saw the top from afar and immediately thought "Saffron Milkcap score!" But they are not unfortunately... smelled nice, but that's it.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #94 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 8:20pm

What are your thoughts on 'Roger Phillips ' mushroom app, and "fungitron"

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #95 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 8:59pm

vetryan15 wrote on Dec 13th, 2017 at 8:20pm:
What are your thoughts on 'Roger Phillips ' mushroom app, and "fungitron"

Rogers is ok. But Audubon and Myco Pro are better in my opinion. Having high quality pictures is important. So Rogers has considerably more quantity but much less quality, which becomes frustrating.

I looked into fungitron at one time but found it lacking. Was that the one that only has edible mushrooms or maybe it was missing the hallucinogens? I don't remember.

Anyways, worth a look. I do remember downloading then deleting both these apps fairly quickly so whatever the reasoning I was not impressed.

So, at the risk of being a bit wordy (never stopped me before), here's a quick rundown on getting the most out of the apps.

First search functions on apps are very limited and often don't work well. So best bet is to use the quiz and train yourself to see similarities within genera. Then you will pick up a mushroom and say, "Hey this looks like one of these 3 or 4 genera" Now you've narrowed it down by a very wide margin.

Secondly, take the mushroom and the spore print and check mykoweb, mushroom observer or one of the other sites on mushroom id.  Either click on the genus you think it is or just take the spore color and other major identifiers and start from there.

There are many more mushrooms you will find then will ever be in an app so the apps main purpose are to help you with the well known ones and provide you with a baseline where you can start understanding how they are grouped.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #96 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:13pm

Thanks morphy,  I had downloaded those awhile back, abd had skimmed em. This subject makes me nervous,  so I never really dived into it as much as I wanted to.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #97 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:06am

Well I'm into the outdoors so I guess adding this to my knowledge is to my benefit . Magic mushrooms seem to have more info on the web for my region than plain edibles.
I'm currently laying in a hammock approx 7m off the ground in a small cork oak that for some reason is in the middle of an Australian forest. I have had a nice hike today and came across a few fungi . So I grabbed a few photos , I have no idea what they are.

image_070.jpeg (151 KB | 28 )
image_070.jpeg
image_071.jpeg (175 KB | 34 )
image_071.jpeg

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #98 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:08am

And the others

image_072.jpeg (150 KB | 34 )
image_072.jpeg
image_073.jpeg (138 KB | 34 )
image_073.jpeg
image_074.jpeg (144 KB | 33 )
image_074.jpeg

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #99 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 1:11am

And my lazy hammock spot

image_075.jpeg (40 KB | 32 )
image_075.jpeg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #100 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 8:11pm

Your lazy hammock spot is the very definition of what a Texan thinks of when they think of Australia. I'm so jealous. Cheesy

That second mushroom looks vaguely famaliar. I'm going to look into it and see if I get a lucky ID.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #101 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:04pm

Have seen the shroom in first pic..somewhere.  LOL, probably in a shroom i d book  Huh

Second pic is a meadow mushroom (agaricus spp) ...I think Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)