Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Mushroom Hunting 2017 (Read 13355 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Mushroom Hunting 2017
Reply #75 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 1:26pm

Your Helsinki exhibition looks something like the mushroom festival I attended, kto.  First we took a tour outside and learned a bit about shrooms then we got to go in and eat many different mushroom recipes.  After that we purchased what ever we liked to take home. I should have take pictures.  I'll go back if they do it again. It was a good day.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #76 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 5:42pm

That last mushroom, you may know, but for those not familiar its name is Coprinus Comatus. Also known as Shaggy Mane. Its a popular and well-liked edible mushroom.

Im searching for any look alikes it might be but cannot find any. Its considered one of the safer wild mushrooms to eat due to few if any dangerous lookalikes.  But of course no one should eat any mushroom based on id's from this thread.

The black rim around the bottom of the cap is characteristic of many Coprinus mushrooms that liquefy into a black ink like substance as they get older.

Great pictures. Looking forward to seeing what else is coming up in your area.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2017 at 6:52pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #77 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 8:38am

You may have seen I lost the 2 inch ball bearing I recently got and spent a long time searching for it before finally finding it lodged in a rotten log. Whilst searching the area I also found all of these. Prepare for a picture spam.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #78 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 8:40am

And some more...

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #79 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 3:01pm

Wow you're sure having a good season Otter! That last one is beautiful. Ive seen that genus before but need to look up the name as it escapes me at the moment.

A buddy of mine back in Cali. stumbled upon these while deer hunting.

Of course he had to send me pics to make me jealous, which he did.  Cheesy

In that same area last year we stumbled upon a several mile long trail on the edge of a burned section of forest along a rise that had endless amounts of Morels. We called it the Morel Trail. Thats where he found these.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #80 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 1:03pm

You guys that know which mushrooms are edible really awe me.

To me, pretty much all mushrooms out in the wild fit into the category of, "If you eat it, your liver turns into goo, you then swell up and turn green, then die.  In great agony."

I know quite a few edible and medicinal plants but I have never had the courage to try mushrooms, even ones that I had identified, due to how many mimic the poisonous ones.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #81 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 1:58pm

The only one I know to be safe and can identify well enough for me to feel safe is chanterelle. I think mushrooms and fungi are fascinating (hence the pictures) but I also have that healthy respect and fear Cheesy I think I do need to take a proper mushroom course and properly learn some day. If even a third of the mushrooms I keep finding are edible I'll be eating like a king. Well a king that loves mushrooms anyway Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #82 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 5:15pm

When you are new to mushroom identification it's difficult to see obvious differences in the look-alikes. Once you understand how to see the differences for what they are it is no more dangerous than harvesting wild plants.

After that point the main danger is becoming too confident and branching out into more difficult to verify species. Personally there are so many safe to id species Ive never seen the appeal. 

Actually I've heard in America the majority of poisonings come from Asian immigrants who don't realize the green mushrooms they are picking here are death caps instead of the safe to pick mushrooms they have in their home country which look similar.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #83 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 4:58pm

I wouldn't eat this but it is interesting

Shelffungus.jpg (303 KB | 49 )
Shelffungus.jpg

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #84 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 7:24pm

Think you would need an xtra set of teeth to eat that!

Here is an indispensible tool for old timers. It's a gill detector Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #85 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 7:28am

Example from New York. I know itr'd Sulphur shelf.

IMG_1404.JPG (4682 KB | 35 )
IMG_1404.JPG

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #86 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 10:47am

Nice! I've only seen a few. Never eaten one. Supposed to taste like chicken hence another common name "chicken of the woods".

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #87 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 7:06am

I know.It's the yellow part that's supposed to be edible. I've never had the nerve to try it though, at least without a professional to guide me.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #88 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 12:23pm

Nice find.  Smiley Never tried one but Ive been told they are quite tasty.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #89 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:09am

So I've decided that due to my new location I'm going to try find some edibles.
I'd be confident useing a very good feild guide however I'm not finding much success locating one for my region .
The only think that seems to be easy to id and around me (not right now) is the black morel Morchella elata
I know that there is a few others however these are considered edible but not that tasty Armillaria luteobubalina

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris)