Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Mushroom Hunting 2017 (Read 1159 times)
Morphy
Interfector Viris Spurii

Checkmate

Re: Mushroom Hunting 2017
Reply #45 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 12:07pm

I'm glad you like them CA. More to come.

As for the scale issues I actually thought about this yesterday. I found some very respectable mushrooms, possibly Green Spored Parasols, in two different places but did not get pictures because I wanted the viewer to see the scale of them for what they are.

I plan on going back today to do just that. Can't have a thread like this and leave those beauties out.  Smiley

"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotism." -Aristotle

IP Logged

Morphy
Interfector Viris Spurii

Checkmate

Reply #46 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 9:05pm

This partial fairy ring is what I thought might be Green Spored Parasols as I drove by. They are not. They may belong to a group of mushrooms known as Lepiotoids.  Lepiotoids are a group of mushrooms containing many white spored, free gilled mushrooms that have partial veils that often, though not always, leave rings on the stem.

Here is a close up of one of the mushrooms in the fairy ring. The ring and the gills being free from contact with the stem are both apparent.

Houston is drowning in Lepiotoids/Lepiotas at the moment. The taxonomy is incredibly confusing. After 10 years in this hobby, I've only recently learned enough to realize how little I know.  Yay.  Roll Eyes

All of the above 4 pictures contain the same species of mushroom. The differences in macroscopic morphology at various stages of growth can be pretty extreme in mushrooms and only adds to an already difficult task in identification. Some genera are even more extreme.

And a few more.

These look sort of like Galerina. But there's no evidence of rusty brown spores.

"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotism." -Aristotle

IP Logged

Morphy
Interfector Viris Spurii

Checkmate

Reply #47 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 10:52pm

Here's another common mushroom to the Southern Texas area. This is a Bolete. Unlike other mushrooms, Boletes have pores or tubes from which the spores drop, instead of gills.

Here are the pores. Some boletes are considered choice edible mushrooms. One of the most sought after is the King Bolete, Cep, or Porcini. All the same mushroom, but known by different names. Boletes can be difficult to pin down to a species. One rule of thumb is to avoid boletes that bruise blue.

Gilled mushrooms that bruise blue are often hallucinogenic. (Not always, so don't id them solely by this.) Where as with many blue bruising boletes the only trip you will have is to the bathroom or the hospital.

The color change is pretty dramatic. Take a look.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #48 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 8:52am

I saw this rather alien looking shroom at Grenloch Lake Park the other day while walking Benji. Any idea?

20170809_131740.jpg (3973 KB | 5 )
20170809_131740.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Interfector Viris Spurii

Checkmate

Reply #49 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:21am

Judging by the cap only I would say possibly a bolete (??) I'll take a look later and see if I get a lucky id. Maybe walter or someone has an idea?

Whenever possible if you can get a shot of the cap, shot from ground level and then carefully pull it up from about 3 inches undergroud and put it upside down for a shot of the underside.

Although it would be unlikely to get an id down to species, doing this we can sometimes get a genus at least. Whatever it is, its quite strange looking. Nice find!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

US of A
Reply #50 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:56am

the cap sure looks boleteish to me. quite a few slippery jacks and agaricus popping here. King and queen boletes should be popping right now in the white mnts.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)