Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Mushroom Hunting 2017 (Read 13374 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Mushroom Hunting 2017
Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 8:13pm

Lots 0f A muscaria and A  virosa here. There is or was a market for the A muscaria. It is used in the perfume industry Shocked
I found some lobsters in the White mtns. Read up on them and discovered that the fungus also attacks some poisonous mushrooms  Angry so I pitched them.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 9:48pm

Ya, it does not neutralize the toxins. You have to be sure of the species it parasitized, which, with Russulas, is not always an easy task. Eat at your own risk.

After looking into this a little more it seems that the fungus is pretty specfic in the type of mushroom it parasitizes. Most people that have experience with them say poisonings are pretty much unknown, despite the overly cautious advice you see in many old mushroom hunting guides. That tends to happen a lot I've found in mycology. Old wives tales die hard I guess. I would try it if I found one.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 11:07pm

You are a brave man!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 8:21am

It's easy to be brave online Walter.  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:22pm

even easier to be dead from eating the wrong mushroom.

Anything less than 100% certainty, is too much doubt for me.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 4:31pm

Every successful mushroom hunter I know feels the same.

I've taken quite a few people mushroom hunting and the only two people to make me genuinely afraid were apparently immune to any natural fear of mushroom hunting. That's why  RM would actually be a very good mushroom hunter. Even trained mycologists feel it at times.
Training is very important but common sense is just as important.

So, this whole arc into Lobster mushrooms has me interested. I've been trying to find any reports of poisonings happening. So far nothing. This is a good start considering it is a gourmet mushroom shipped out to restaurants all over the world. If I still can't find anything after a few days I will see if I can get a hold of a mycologist and get their thoughts on it.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 5:34pm

Think I read the bad news concerning lobster musrooms   in "mushrooms demystified" . I'll take a look

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 5:43pm

walter wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 5:34pm:
Think I read the bad news concerning lobster musrooms   in "mushrooms demystified" . I'll take a look

Pretty sure I've read it in several books, though I've not read that one yet. If you can actually find a specific case it references that would be helpful, thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 7:32pm

IN National Audubon Society Field Guide To Mushrooms  it says that it is the lobster mushroom (Hypomyces lactifluorum) that causes unpalatable Lactarius and Russula into choice edibles. I f you cannot positively id the host,  avoid it because it could potentially parasitise a poisonous species.

Just saying  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 8:01pm

Yep, thats where I read it as well. Problem is sometimes mushroom "lore" gets printed somewhere and then it just keeps getting referenced over and over with each new book, with little to any actual proof to back it up.

Another example of this is is Hygrocybe Conica, otherwise known as witches hat.

This mushroom has had a reputation as being likely poisonous, even deadly poisonous, for years. To my knowledge, this reputation is based solely on one report stemming from somewhere in Asia in the early 1900's. 

The problem is it has been eaten on several occasions by people trying to get high. Nothing happened. Mushroom taxonomy is extremely difficult. Even today mushrooms are constantly being reclassified into different genera. So unless you have actual reports with evidence be cautious, but take it with a grain of salt as well.

My view is that I will always play it safe until I have reason to discount something as an urban legend. With the heavy volume of lobster mushrooms eaten around the world each year, there should be many detailed accounts of poisonings. So for now I will just have to keep looking.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:40pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 7:07pm

So this question on lobster mushrooms led much further afield than I expected. I started out posting on a popular mushroom forum and recieved a few responses. Basically the answer was we don't know, we have heard the same thing but no one knows of it actually happening. 

I then asked a doctor of Mycology from the University of Oregon. He was unable to find any such cases of lobster mushrooms parasitizing toxic species and poisoning the person eating it. Though he did cite a few cases in the last 30 years of the fungus hypomyces lactifluorum (the fungus that parasitizes other species to become lobster mushrooms) causes minor issues. He did not specify what issues exactly. And this was with no mention of the host mushroom which is what we are wondering about here. He gave me a few leads to check and suggested I contact a Dr. Michael Beug.

Dr. Beug is the head of the Toxicology committee of the North American Mycological Association. He is well respected in his field and keeps detailed records on all reported mushroom poisonings in North America.  If anyone knows of a specific case of a lobster mushroom actually poisoning someone it would be him.

His response is as follows, "While said to be possible - I have no such cases. The one lobster poisoning in my database was due to an allergic reaction."

So it appears that no such poisoning is on record, ever. At least, the experts on the subject are unaware of any. Despite the countless numbers of lobster mushrooms eaten each year.  In researching this I read there was some evidence that the parasite fungus is extremely picky on the type of Russula or Lactarius it chooses which may account for a lack of any evidence of poisonings. I can say, for myself personally, I will be trying them. Without evidence of actual poisonings it seems that this very well could be a case of adding a warning to something just to cover all possibilites. Perhaps as a way of guarding against law suits. Just a thought. We will likely never know.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 10:06pm

Morphy, I think you could  have ben a very good wildcrafter! NOW I am wondering why I did not take a spore print. Can you get one from a lobster   noidea

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 8:43am

I am no expert on them, but I've read that the lobster fungus can drop white or clear spores but are very difficult to gather in a typical spore print. The host does not drop any spores though.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #28 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 8:12pm

I'm pretty sure it's an Amanita. Maybe a Destroying Angel??

shroom_001.JPG (3887 KB | 44 )
shroom_001.JPG

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 8:45pm

Very possible. If you dig it up carefully it may have an egg like sac that the stipe (stem) is growing from. You need more info than a picture to reliably identify most mushrooms. It goes without saying that nothing featured on this thread should be eaten without it being identified by an expert. Mushroom poisoning is a very slow, painful death. And although there are relatively few deadly poisonous mushrooms, its safest to assume they are all deadly until you know otherwise.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, I worry some of our younger members will become too brave reading this thread. That being said, Aminita would be my first guess. I have a few guesses on the species but I will hold back unless I know.  There are something like 600 different species in the genus. I don't know most of them at a glance. One more reason I don't eat them.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)