Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Mushroom Hunting 2017 (Read 13284 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Mushroom Hunting 2017
Jun 26th, 2017 at 10:20pm

We've been having some great mushroomy weather lately. This coming weekend I'm taking my wife and daughter chanterrell hunting. I'm getting this thread warmed up in case we find anything good. For anyone out there that enjoys mushroom hunting please post pics of any cool finds, edible or not.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Mushroom Hunting 2017
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 6:13am

I love puffballs. You can fry them up and freeze them for later. Some can reach the size of soccer balls.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 10:01am

Ive never actually found the giant puffballs. Ive found sculptured puffs which are decent but the giants supposedly taste the best of all puffballs.

Right now Im dealing with a pretty bad case of mushroom fever. Whenever I plan a trip to a known mushroom hunting spot I start the inevitable downward spiral of compulsive mushroom daydreaming. (CMD). I think theres a pill for it. Anyways, finding it difficult to concentrate I did the only rational thing. I looked up every possible thread on South Texas Mushroom Hunting I could find. For whatever reason it has only seemed to make things worse. Now Ive added about 10 species I am excited to find.  I'm definitely getting worse. Maybe looking up more mushrooms will help....

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 2:25pm

not a lot of flavour to giant puffballs. But sliced, egged and fried they're pretty good.

I've also got  a bag of dried giant puffball. Dry it and grind it and it makes a great addition to any sauce.

Found one last year.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 6:10pm

Can't believe I only have a couple of pics on my phone.  We used to hunt morels, boletes, chanterells, and aminita. Often enough, where the red cap aminita grows, boletes are near by.

Hope you enjoy your hunt  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 9:06am

I would be happy with any of the species you mentioned Walter.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:06pm

My grandmother could pick wild muchrooms. I am terrified of them. About two years ago I went to a mushroom festival  in North Jersey. I figured I might be able to learn to safely identify at least a few species. I left there knowing a great deal more about mushrooms than I did but even more afraid to pick them on  my own. I envy you guys.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 4:12pm

Leucoagaricus americanus
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:13pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 2:25pm

Strobilomyces strobilaceus (Old Man of the Woods) - My 7 year old daughter was the first to find one. We collected 3 of these beauties for cooking later.

Lactarius indigo - A small brush against the gills of this mushroom will leech blue "ink" on your fingers.

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:18pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 2:30pm

The color is more vivid in person.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:18pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 2:42pm

The next two we found but I didn't get pics because my cameras macro mode was acting up.

Russula aeruginea (Grass Green Russula)

Armillaria tabescens (Ringless Honey Mushrooms) - Despite the name these aren't anything special in terms of taste.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:23pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 2:50pm

We also found a scrambled egg slime mold, several types of polypores, an amanita that I couldn't identify by eye and many Clitocybe gibba which were quite common.

Next time I'll get more pictures. Not only was my camera acting up but it was sweltering in the forest. I must have sweat a gallon or more. Wow.... Shocked
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:27pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 6:19am

Amanitas are dangerous. The 2 worst are Flay Agaric and Destroying Angel. I've been told a couple of them are edible, but are hard to ID. I leave them alone.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 7:50am

I dont harvest Amanitas for food but I am looking for a fly agaric to mark it off my list. Fly Agarics are considered a good edible if you boil them and change the water. They have ibotenic acid and muscarine which are toxic. Alternatively if you dry them the ibotenic acid is converted to muscimol which is a psychoactive alkaloid. (I've read some eat them fresh, there is a lot of differing opinions on this mushroom.) Some people report it is pleasant, others have very negative reports. It is a different chemical from the typical magic mushrooms and considered not as desireable or safe. I have no interest in it for that. But it's very pretty nonetheless.

Fly Agaric (Amanita Muscaria)

Amanita Phalloides (Death Cap)

Amanita Virosa (Destroying Angel)

These two deadly mushrooms along with a few others give Amanita their bad reputation. Mushroom hunters are better off not touching this genus unless they have the training/experience to do so safely.

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:38pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 6:42pm

One of the interesting things I discovered at the aforementioned Mushroom Festival was Lobster Mushrooms. Initially I thought they were a species of mushroom. I recently dicsovered that it's a fungus that grows on some species of mushroom. It turns them red and gives them a wonderful flavor very similar to Lobster.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark)