Send Topic Print
Issues with sling (Read 3107 times)
Marten
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

New Mexico
Issues with sling
Jun 25th, 2017 at 9:58pm

Greeting from New Mexico. Well I am hooked. A friend made me a split pouch para cord sling and gave me several tennis balls. Well I went out to a back stop and started launching tennis balls. I threw 12 using the figure eight method. No problem. Did 12 more and twelve more. I was getting great power and accuracy... Than on the 37th throw and there after I could not keep the ball in the pouch, it keeps flipping out when I swing it back. So I got some rocks and slung them, no problem. I can't figure out, is me or is the sling  stretching or something. Rocks no problem, tennis balls out the back door. Go figure! Any ideas? I am going to make my own soon. Thanks, Great forum! Smiley This is driving me crazy, from nailing it the first time out now  frustration. " just tried again, rocks good plums real good, tennis balls out the back.. Shocked

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Issues with sling
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 3:42am

Tennis balls are rather large for ammo, they have a high center of gravity if they are resting on top of a smaller pouch which makes them liable to roll out.

You can throw them in slings with larger pouches, but those same slings *might* be unable to throw small rocks, depending on type.

Many of my slings won't throw tennis balls as they are built for smaller ammo, a smaller pouch is less affected by air resistance so it can be wasteful to make them big enough for tennis balls sometimes.

Welcome to the forum and nice work on fig-8, it can be quite a difficult technique to learn.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 10:07am

It took me multiple YouTube videos and many hours of practice to get the hang of fig 8 and even then I'm terrible at it. It's a success if I get within 5 meters of what I'm aiming at. But yeah basically what JudoP has said it probably comes down to the pouch shape. I only ever sling pretty hefty rocks that I've used multiple times so I know how to get them to sit comfortably. It's quite rare that they slip out. I know Curious_Aardvark uses tennis balls all the time so he might be the one to ask.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 1:26pm

I've personally never used tennis balls, just rocks. Nice work on learning the fig-8 so fast, took me a lot of vids and time to learn it, even now I can't usually throw very far with it.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:08pm

Welcome, Marten.  I  would tend to agree with JudoP also.  Just to be sure, can you post a picture of your sling pouch? Picturing it next to a tennis ball  so we can judge it's size  would be a huge help in figuring out your problem.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:34pm

If its a split pouch it also might be falling through the split. Possibly your pouch stretched enough to start losing ammo. Probably one of those two things imo. It seems like rocks would slip through also but sometimes they respond to the sling differently enough to stay put.
(The picture is painfully obvious, but who knows... maybe its that simple  Smiley  )

IP Logged

Marten
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

New Mexico
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:51pm

Thanks for all the input. C Aardvark thought I might be stopping somewhere in my swig...could be, but one would think this would happen with stones also... I am kind of thinking the knots tightened up and the pouch became narrower... Sometimes it will fall out during the back swing or go straight up over my head LOL. Than I grab a rock, any size and no problems. To much fun. Here are a few pictures. Sorry for the size...how do I shrink them down. This is as much fun as building atlals and throwing darts... I'll have to go down to the Rio Grande and launch some rocks with more force to check my form out.

IMG_2138_001.JPG (1934 KB | 41 )
IMG_2138_001.JPG
IMG_2139_001.JPG (1870 KB | 53 )
IMG_2139_001.JPG
IMG_2140_001.JPG (1612 KB | 65 )
IMG_2140_001.JPG

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 3:35pm

I'm going to guess that the paracord got a bit more flexible with use. I don't think it's going to work all that well from now on. Bigger pouch to really cup it would be best. Really you need the two ends of the pouch to be at the very least halfway up the side of the tennis ball to make sure it stays put. Probably wider too.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Marten
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

New Mexico
Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 3:46pm

Sounds good, I need to make one anyway. Another adventure!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 4:17pm

All my slings will throw tennis balls as well as any other ammo down to small pebbles.
The cap paul style can handle rocks up to about 5lb and down to a handful of gravel. And pretty much anything inbetween.

Braided slings lack the versatility of a good leather and paracord design.
Just saying whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 5:37pm

The sling pictured above could probably throw tennis balls so long as your movement is smooth, which explains your previous success. It's probably best used for medium-large stones though.

You might want to whip up a sling that is optimized for tennis balls if you like to practice with them.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 10:22pm

I like to use this site to resize my images http://resizeimage.net optimal size for here is about 800 x 600

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Marten
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

New Mexico
Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 10:41pm

Well I grabbed hold of the pouch and stretched it side ways and length wise, problem solved. It didn't take much. Thanks for the insights and help.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 4:08am

You did what I was about to suggest, Marten. Also, though your sling is just about big enough, a slightly bigger pouch for tennis balls would make slinging them easier. Good looking sling, BTW.
   I use MS Paint to shrink my pictutes.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:52am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Mark
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

South Jordan, Utah
Reply #14 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:58pm

I have dedicated tennis ball slings, and dedicated rock slings, just so nothing slips out.

If it's a tennis ball, it's not a big deal, but you don't want rocks slipping out, LOL.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris)