Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Summer slinging 2017 (Read 1650 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Summer slinging 2017
Jun 25th, 2017 at 2:48am

Started slinging seriously again, for the summer. Usual set-up: 25-28 steps distance from target, three slings. Am displeased: after a year of slinging only tennis balls, now 8 out of 10 shots pull left, late release. Decided not to worry about it and just keep shooting rather than thinking about it. Also taking distance shots, and doing hand throwing at targets (rather better, but not sustainable: elbow hurts with 25m shots).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Summer slinging 2017
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 11:58am

you don't fancy coming to mallorca next year ?
end of feb to about the 4th of march.

You're getting way more practice than I am Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 12:41pm

Finally got to go to the summer cottage this weekend and... boy, am I bad at slinging Cheesy I'm so out of practice it was embarrassing. Luckily I had my slingbows with me and they are a Hell of a lot easier to aim and I picked up the basics much quicker so managed to save face Cheesy I had the same problem of the shots pulling left. Not sure why and didn't manage to solve out before we had to leave. Have to make more of an effort to find a good practice spot nearby and get the practice in while the weather is half decent.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2017 at 4:59am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:12pm

I have just been slinging tennis balls in the yard until I get this current dog pack better trained so I can sling while I dog walk again.  I'll probably have to retrain myself once I get seriously going again.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:31am

The two things I'm trying to work on:

1. Too much arm, not enough body. I still get power, because the sling lengthens my whole arm, but I have a feeling that the shots are really actioned by the final whipping action of the arm rather than the body turn. This may be because the whole movement is not smooth enough.

2. Too inconsistent shots-- sometimes a big heavy stone zooms and hits above target; sometimes a light stone just flops short of the target.

Both problems are related.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 2:15pm

Lost my favorite sling (simple nylon cord, knotted as a simplified PJ sling). Made another one but the pouch size, etc, not as nice.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:48pm

Recently lost one of my favourites. It really sucks.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:24pm

Hows the practice coming Thearos?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 5:42am

A little bit every day -- nothing too intensive, 20+ shots. Slight pain in the shoulder so I may ease off. No dramatic improvement, though am getting good shots on  target; shots dragging left because of late release, and shots hitting high because putting too much power, still noticeable. Not sure whether to work on this like training and really work on form, or just to keep slinging and hoping to ease into it. To be honest, probably solution 2.

After target training, ending with a good shot on target, I usually take a bunch of long distance shots. Then I go hiking.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:58pm

Been trying to sling everyday for about a month now. Massive style changes. Finding an increase in accuracy but not power.
Also been fine tuning the bugs out of my first sling(still my go to favourite). Re wove the pouch to get sag out and beeswaxed the frays. I would be devostated to lose my sling.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 4:08pm

Increase in accuracy is a very good sign.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 8:55pm

Went to the Alabama River yesterday, I planned to do a bit of slinging.

Got there and all my gravel beds were covered with silt that washed down from the banks.  Still, with a bit of poking with my toe at likely looking humps, I was able to gather a nice pile of rocks.  My accuracy didn't suffer as much as I thought it might, I was throwing at stumps and logs and hit a fair number. 

What did surprise me was my lack of distance.  I can normally throw a rock around 150ish meters, I wasn't able to get much past 100 unless I really concentrated on getting the angle correct.  I had the force but not the angle.  Out to about 15-20 meters or so, it wasn't a problem, beyond that, I had lots of overs and unders.  Plus the occasional one way off to the left when I used a lighter rock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, vetryan15)