Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To knot or not to knot (Read 1530 times)
Alex.Ost
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Freiburg
To knot or not to knot
Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:57am

Hey guys.
I just recieved my newest, most beautiful Sling (check the Attachements). Who can guess from where?  Wink

But, to the Topic; Whenever i purchased a Sling instead of crudly making one myself, i always notice that the manufacturers do no put a knot in the release end of the Sling. I always do that with my own Slings and also do it with the ones i buy because i just cannot get my Head around using them without one.
Since almost all Slings ive seen do not have a knot in them i wanted to ask how you prefer Slings and why.
Also, what is the reason for not having a knot in the release End? Is there a benefit to it?

As i said, i always put a knot in the release end. I find that its too difficult and time consuming to get both strings of the Sling to be parallel and also i cannot put a decent amount of power into my technique whitout a knot.

IMG_20170621_144639.jpg (2465 KB | 52 )
IMG_20170621_144639.jpg
IMG_20170621_144822.jpg (2325 KB | 72 )
IMG_20170621_144822.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: To knot or not to knot
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:47am

As with most things sling related Ive probably put way too much thought into this random question through out the years. This is my personal view : no knot.  Ive tried bare string, knot, and various tabs.  I eventually settled on a tab that is made from the end of the paracord string itself. I found for me at least a thicker slightly flexible tab is the way to go. I also grip the tab not with my thumb against the side of my index but with my thumb and tip of my index and middle finger. Basically giving more surface area to the grip the tab, allowing you to grip it with less force. (The tab is bigger to accomadate this.)

I feel like for me at least tabs are the most accurate release. There is no extra cord hanging out near your hand. Its a different feel. That being said theres no wrong way. There are accurate slingers who use all different types of release.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 3:38pm

In the end I think it is a matter of taste.

Depending on sling I prefer either no knot, very small one or a part that is just slightly thicker than the rest of the string. With a bulky knot I always have the feeling that the release is less smooth.

Judging from color and material your new sling is most likely tibetan. Amdocraft would be the supplier of choice.

Off topic: Could you post a closeup of the pouch and its attachment to the cord? I'd like to see if they still "sew in" (for the lack of a better word) the pouch in the same way as they used to.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 1:06am

As for the origin of the sling. I'm with Teg - looks very like in braid, material, pouch style and color scheme the kind of thing coming from Amdocraft.

For knots, I suppose the pros are a better grip allowing one to hold the release with a less fierce grip against the tension. That should allow a better release as far as the hand is concerned, but if it has any significant weight compared to the release cord it's going to slow the physical message that you actually have released it getting to the pouch.

How much that matters depends on how you sling, but I think it would be particularly disruptive if you sling fast with relatively light loads, perhaps less so with heavier weights and longer slings. So, like so much in slinging, it may or may not matter Wink.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 1:27am

Morphy, how is the leather on that sling you posted attached? I don't see any stitches? Glue? If so what type?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:54pm

I prefer a knot on the release cord, at the right hight for both cords to fall symmetrical. Time for a poll ?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:54pm

Drakolith wrote on Jun 22nd, 2017 at 1:27am:
Morphy, how is the leather on that sling you posted attached? I don't see any stitches? Glue? If so what type?

It is stitched. You just cant see it clearly in the picture. Sometimes people will stitch an apache by bringing the thread over and around the side of the pouch. I personally find it easier to simply stitch up and down through the pouch. Thats probably why you cant see it.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 1:19am

Ah, okay. Thanks.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 5:10pm

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. All of my slings have released knots. Honestly I couldn't imagine using a sling without one.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 9:58pm

On braided slings, I have been wrapping a small "bead" made of dogbane fiber or folding over the end of the release cord creating a small loop to hold and to attach a tail.

Going to try Morphy's tab, but alredy know it will feel that I have finally come to the end of my rope Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)