Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shoulder problems (Read 1122 times)
Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Shoulder problems
Jun 20th, 2017 at 7:54pm

Can anyone recommend a slinging style for a guy with glass shoulders and back problems?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Shoulder problems
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 8:54pm

I just sling through the pain

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 3:31am

don't know about the severity of your problems, ask a doctor for better advice.

recommended sling style would be underhand (not balearic).
i never sling if i have an unknown pain .
but i sometimes have noisy shoulder(without pain), at such circumstance i warm up better and sling with much less power.

if you believe it's gonna hurt you then it's gonna hurt you.(do what you love and love what you do.)

most pains and injuries i had was due to muscle imbalance.
for example too strong biceps in comparison to the other muscles around shoulder capsule created sounds and some times pain.

see what baseball pitchers do and why , criticizing for techniques (inverted-w). they have done a lot of research....

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:37am

Onager, i find that fig-8 and especially Apache put more strain on the shoulder whereas for me at least the Balearic sidearm puts more strain on my forearm. For the most part though, pain in slinging is usually an indication you are doing something wrong.

In your case if you already have shoulder issues, any throw may cause some pain.  I would definitely talk to a doctor or physical therapist and consider whether its worth aggravating my condition any more than it already is.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:50am

underarm.
Effective, good for most slinging situations and you can just use your wrist.

You just have the arm and sling hanging down and just spin the sling in  a vertical rotation with your wrist.

So style one at beginning of the video, but instead of rotating your whole arm. just use the wrist and elbow.
Old video, haven't needed an elbow bandage for a long time.  Did more sidearm back then.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 7:11pm

Overhand throwing is more stressful on your shoulder whereas underhand is easier. You can throw very strongly with a movement coming from below so don't be discouraged.
Warming up is key especially your rotator cuff and the muscles that fescelerate your throw.
Good luck!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 5:14pm

I concur. From time to time my shoulder hurts. Underharm causes the least amount of shoulder stress. For me personally it is the most accurate form also.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark)