Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
map of slings and sling related artifacts from archaeological sites (Read 5774 times)
Samuel
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

León, Spain
Re: map of slings and sling related artifacts from archaeological sites
Reply #15 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 7:20am

True, native Australians always forgoten. My bad. I imagine there are some other peoples that never used the sling.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 8:17am

I guess there must be but it seems it's so hard to track the history of the sling. I think slings have suffered from the fact that in a lot of cultures they were so common and peasent tools that no-one bothered to say much about them and then they've always been made of materials that decompose so next to no archeological evidence except glandes and slingstones (which might not be recognised as such) and then a few slings that happened to be in the right conditions to survive.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 11:32am

What's odd about Australia is that it was surrounded by sling using peoples.  Who also switched to the bow and arrow when it showed up.

I'm going to guess that just like large areas of N America stayed with stone tools, the people at the time didn't need to change to metal to survive.  And the Old Wisconsin Culture was using hammered copper tools 7000 years ago and there was a trade route from the source all the way to the Gulf Coastal areas.  Pacific Northwestern natives were also using hammered copper nuggets for tools and jewelry for longer than that. 

My first thought when I saw the second map was that it pretty well mapped out Homo Sapiens migratory routes from Africa.  50,000+ years ago.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 8:46am

track the history of herding animals and you'll find the sling goes right along.
That and some fishing cultures.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)