Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New friends (Read 1127 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

New friends
May 22nd, 2017 at 7:27pm

Hey all,
I've come to a bit of an impasse in my life.
A few years ago I used to party a lot and never really lacked for people to spend time with but I got out of that world and got into a long term relationship. That ended about a year ago about the same time I started my own business.
Nowadays I'm a pretty busy dude and although I have a few friends I've kept over the years, I often find myself coming up short on the friends list.
I'm hoping you guys might have some suggestions on how you meet new people whether it's friends or even romantic partners.
I assume everybody goes through a point in their lives where they need to make new friends and I'm not wallowing in self pity or anything. Just looking for ideas:)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: New friends
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2017 at 6:26am

How about sending your christmas SITH sling Smiley
I'd be your friend then whistle

That aside. you basically need to get out and attend gatherings of people with similiar hobbies to yourself.

With the exception of one person I knew at school. All my current friends and acquaintenances have either come through work - going to people's houses gets you meeting a very wide section of the public.
Or through my various hobbies.
Slinging has probably been the second biggest contributor. But I have made the effort, to go to the states and mallorca and run a couple of sling events in the uk.
You can't actually meet people sitting at home and wondering why you don't meet people Smiley

You do leather work - find a local makerspace or maker group and go to their meetings. They tend to be bloke heavy, but females make things too. And maker groups are not strictly tech based.

Evening classes are good too.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2017 at 8:41am

I forget who said "we are what we do repeatedly" and there's some truth to it.

C_A's on the money here.

The Maker Space movement is a good idea, even Adam Savage talks about a  good sewing machine and leather work being an important part of the maker movement. Lot of libraries are incorporating these spaces and tools now (at least in WI).

The main thing is a repeating thing you do with others. Could be shooting, could be orienteering, could be birding, could be a rock climbing gym, could be a board game club. Even just going to the library regularly (like 1x a week) can expand your circle. The nice thing about meeting a woman at an activity like this is that you already share an interest. And even if there isn't someone there, they might know somebody.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2017 at 9:32pm

Possibly go to local farmers markets/outside markets and talk to people while you sell your leather work. A lot of areas will have group activities you can take part in. Here in Houston you can go for a guided group tour with a Mycologist and they will point out all the wild mushrooms and their species. For me, as nerdy as it sounds, thats the kind of thing I would do. Local colleges will often set these types of things up.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2017 at 4:54am

Farmers markets are a great idea, the other stall holders will be regulars and with a wide variety of backgrounds and skills.

Get some cheap slings made up and a bunch of tennis balls and sell them to dog owners alongside your leather work Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2017 at 7:10am

Thanks guys. I joined a mountain bike group this week am I'm pretty excited for that! I'll check into some maker's groups as well-I'm sure there's at least a couple in my area.
And ya CA I'll send yours today. I think you'll enjoy the whole package really:)

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2017 at 9:15am

Good on you mate Smiley

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - May 26th, 2017 at 1:57pm

Most of the new friends I've made in the past couple of years have been through my bowling leagues.  It might sound "square" but it gets me out at night. I've made a few online friends recently on my facebook anti-tRump sites also.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - May 29th, 2017 at 1:08am

Tinder. Grin Met a few people that I consider friends through tinder dates.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)