Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Figure 8 Descender Sling Bow (Read 4141 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Figure 8 Descender Sling Bow
May 11th, 2017 at 2:58pm

I'm still waiting on the serving thread for my ski bow's bowstring, so with that project still unfinished (along with some other projects I really should get on with at some point...) I thought I should start a new one! Cheesy

I came across this instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/The-BEAST-Barts-Eight-Arrow-ShooTer/

and instantly fell in love with the simplicity of it and how portable it is, being very thin and not that large and bulky. Now the original instructable has a lot of problems I've noticed already; the rubber bands used are really very weak, the attachment method isn't the best and it would really benefit from a whisker biscuit or some type of arrow rest.

I have my 8 ring in the post (this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35KN-Rescue-Figure-8-Descender-O-ring-Hook-RappelDevic... )

and I have solutions for the first two problems, but I was wondering with that last problem, the lack of a whisker biscuit, what sort of solutions do you guys think would be best?

Currently I've thought up three options:
1. Attach an actual whisker biscuit which is the most expensive option and it's liable to damage from the bands following through so would need protection or frequent replacement.
2. Use toothbrush heads which I've seen used quite often with DIY slingbows and would be pretty cheap.
3. Attach a piece of flexible plastic such as from a bottle to hold the arrow. This would be the simplest and the cheapest so is certainly appealing though would probably need some testing to see how well it works.

All comments and suggestions appreciated Smiley

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Figure 8 Descender Sling Bow
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2017 at 8:04am

Oh I found another method! The Slingshot Forum should have been my first port of call really. A piece of stiff leather! Ingenious and I already have some perfect leather for the job!

http://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/slingbow-arrow-rests-28370/

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2017 at 9:22pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqZdtAhnxo

You may already know about this but its sort of similar. Slingbows are cool though. Great compact hunting weapon.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2017 at 3:22am

Oh yes I have seen them but I've always been a bit too intimidated to actually try one out. I don't even have my ears pierced and I don't fancy getting a hand piercing Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2017 at 6:40am

so it just a catapult bow without a whisker biscuit.

Seen a few how tos on making your own whisker biscuits.  You really don't want any part of the arrow bouncing off the side.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - May 16th, 2017 at 11:26pm

Yep. Yeah I think I know how in going to do our now but I'm going to test it out a lot to really make sure it's all secure and not bouncing around inside the ring.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2017 at 3:55pm

I’ve given it double Thera Band Gold rubber with an archery string with serving. For the release, I’m using a bead. I’m not sure if is the best idea, getting hit by the bead would suck so I’m hoping my other modification will help with that. I went through lots of ideas for the arrow rest but I’ve now decided on a rubber band tied down with serving string (I really need to make a sling from this stuff, it's great). I’m hoping it’s going to have enough friction to hold the arrow in place but be flexible enough to allow the arrow to pass by. Hopefully it will also stop the bands from passing through the ring with too much speed and stop the bead breaking my fingers Cheesy String stops are used on full bows so maybe this will have that effect as well.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2017 at 3:41pm by Kick »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 2:57pm

I'm not sure if I've posted this before but I thought I'd add it here. I made a slingshot using a bolt, a wing nut and some string and grip tape. Double thera band gold means it's pretty darn powerful and because it has such low forks it works pretty well as a sling bow! Wooden barbecue skewers are the perfect size.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)